Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2019, 08:12 PM   #4101
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

We are going to feel very lucky to have Hanifin in a few years when he starts entering his prime.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 03:36 PM   #4102
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Well many of us in live in a world where Lindholm is currently the best player in the deal. Perhaps you're the one in the alternate dimension?
Then you live in a very strange world. Poll 100 NHL experts and 95 of them are taking Hamilton, and I might be low. CP is the only place Ive really ever been that talks about Hamilton with such disdain.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #4103
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

You know y’all could just agree to disagree without resorting to appeals to authority and talk of alternate universes.

Or not. But like... you could...
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:44 PM   #4104
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
How do you get away with treating people the way you do? You are easily one of the most abrasive and arrogant people on this board.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
It’s easy, if you are blindly supportive of everything the team does then you are liked by the moderators here. If you are not then you’ll get sent to the penalty box on a regular basis
Old 12-08-2019, 03:47 PM   #4105
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I just love Lindholm's contract.

Say what you will about the trade, but that extension was magnificent.
The extension followed by the subsequent play we’ve gotten from Lindholm is likely the best move Treliving has made. A+
Old 12-08-2019, 03:50 PM   #4106
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I didn’t mean doubling down with some moderator-bias-victim-complex. But I sense there’s a pretty strong lack of self-awareness if you think getting in trouble around here is based on how often you’re a rah-rah supporter of the team.

I don’t think stang has been suspended in my time here, and that dude is an Oilers fan!
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 03:53 PM   #4107
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
Then you live in a very strange world. Poll 100 NHL experts and 95 of them are taking Hamilton, and I might be low. CP is the only place Ive really ever been that talks about Hamilton with such disdain.
Then you and some of the hockey world have very short memories.

By the end of December last year Hamitlon had played 38 games for the Canes managing just 3 goals, ten points and sat at -14. Hamilton was with his third organization at the age of 25 still not playing top pairing minutes. Flames Draft Watcher can be a little snarky but the evaluating the trade is still far from done. And Hanifin could swing this wildly in the Flames favor if he gets it together.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 03:54 PM   #4108
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
We are going to feel very lucky to have Hanifin in a few years when he starts entering his prime.
I hope so, and defence men do take longer. But that said, I pay less attention to age and more to how they’ve actually looked in the NHL after an extended period, and I don’t like what were seeing from Hanifin and am getting more pessimistic that he’ll be anything more than an average to below average no 4 d man. The same poster who acts like its a given that he’s gonna be great some day because he’s young is the same one that spouted the same BS for years, in an extremely arrogant way, about Bennett despite all the evidence pointing in the wrong direction. If Hanifin were a forward I’d already say he’s capped out, the only reason I hold any hope is because he’s a d man. That said, a couple years of stalled development is very troublesome.

Its also hilarious that that poster keeps talking about the fable that is Dougie Hamiltons defensive issues when Hanifin is a defensive nightmare at times. But whatever.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 03:54 PM   #4109
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I didn’t mean doubling down with some moderator-bias-victim-complex. But I sense there’s a pretty strong lack of self-awareness if you think getting in trouble around here is based on how often you’re a rah-rah supporter of the team.

I don’t think stang has been suspended in my time here, and that dude is an Oilers fan!
Victim complexes. Not everything has to be a grand conspiracy, sometimes people just tend to express themselves in an aggressive/condescending manner which doesn't do much for their actual point of views or arguments.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:57 PM   #4110
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Then you and some of the hockey world have very short memories.

By the end of December last year Hamitlon had played 38 games for the Canes managing just 3 goals, ten points and sat at -14. Hamilton was with his third organization at the age of 25 still not playing top pairing minutes. Flames Draft Watcher can be a little snarky but the evaluating the trade is still far from done. And Hanifin could swing this wildly in the Flames favor if he gets it together.
The evaluation of the trade is absolutely far from over, I don’t know who has said it is. Hamilton had his traditional ‘adjusting to a new team’ half a season, like he did first year here, and then has since settled in to being back to the top talent he is. He is absolutely an elite No 1 and pretending he isn’t to help justify the trade is a really bad look.

Hanifin can swing the trade, absolutely. It’s just starting to look less and less likely as we go.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #4111
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

We traded for need, and got it. The Flames needed Lindholm more than they needed Hamilton. They got Hanifin to soften the blow of losing Hamilton. From the Flames perspective that’s a win. Might be from Carolina’s too.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 04:08 PM   #4112
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it’s fair to say it’s too early to properly judge Hanifin.

Last night I counted at least five egregious giveaways.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 04:33 PM   #4113
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It’s easy, if you are blindly supportive of everything the team does then you are liked by the moderators here. If you are not then you’ll get sent to the penalty box on a regular basis
It has nothing to do with that. And what makes a post like this brutal is if I were to suspend you, you would think of it as some sort of proof of what you are theorizing.
So instead I will ask you a few questions.
- Do you even know who all the mods are?
- Do you really think there is some grand conspiracy where we "like" a certain type of poster?
- Can you move forward as a member of this community without be confrontational and without criticizing the moderators when unprovoked.

If the answer to that last question is no then we can agree to disagree and part ways.

But this isn't about being positive or negative. It is about acting like an adult and being able to engage in hockey discussion as such.

If you can't handle that let us know. If you think so lowly of how this site is managed, you don't have to be here. 99% of this community is able to handle that. If you cannot - that's on you.

So what do you want to do here?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #4114
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lindholm = Hamilton (value wise)
Hanifin >>>>> 2nd round pick

How hard is that?
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 04:46 PM   #4115
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a complex trade and I just don’t know how many people come down so strongly on all sides.

One year of Ferland had value for the Canes.
Both Hamilton and Lindholm look to be extremely valuable. Lindholm’s contract is fantastic but let’s also see how Hamilton performs in the playoffs.
If I’m not mistaken Carolina will have received two seconds for Fox? That’s substantial.
Hanifin to me is still a question mark.

It was a big, big trade. Obviously Carolina likes what their team has done since the deal. And Flames have two very valuable pieces.

Also bring back Flash please.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:48 PM   #4116
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why was Flash banned?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:52 PM   #4117
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Why was Flash banned?
When did that happen?
Old 12-08-2019, 04:55 PM   #4118
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
This is a complex trade and I just don’t know how many people come down so strongly on all sides.

One year of Ferland had value for the Canes.
Both Hamilton and Lindholm look to be extremely valuable. Lindholm’s contract is fantastic but let’s also see how Hamilton performs in the playoffs.
If I’m not mistaken Carolina will have received two seconds for Fox? That’s substantial.
Hanifin to me is still a question mark.

It was a big, big trade. Obviously Carolina likes what their team has done since the deal. And Flames have two very valuable pieces.

Also bring back Flash please.
I think it sounds like I’m coming down harder than I intend. I think it’s a slight win for Carolina as it currently stands but Hanifin could swing it still, I’m just skeptical if that ever happening at this point. What annoys me is how this trade is treated like a slam dunk win for the Flames, I can understand people who like it for the flames but there’s a pretty large contingent who disparage Hamilton in order to create a false sense that it was a huge win. It’s ridiculous.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #4119
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

We won't know which way this goes until we ask Hanifin what he thinks of museums, and what Hamilton thinks about showing up to team dinners.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #4120
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I think it sounds like I’m coming down harder than I intend. I think it’s a slight win for Carolina as it currently stands but Hanifin could swing it still, I’m just skeptical if that ever happening at this point. What annoys me is how this trade is treated like a slam dunk win for the Flames
It was a "slam-dunk" for the Flames. I mean that in the sense that the team is a lot better as a direct result of that trade. It was also a "slam-dunk" for Carolina. The thing that annoys me is that posters insist on declaring a winner when BOTH TEAMS WON. That is part of what makes this trade really difficult to judge: Both teams have no regrets; both teams are better for it.

Quote:
I can understand people who like it for the flames but there’s a pretty large contingent who disparage Hamilton in order to create a false sense that it was a huge win. It’s ridiculous.

You are right about this, but aren't you also guilty of the same hyperbole to make your point by labeling Hanifin as a "below average #4 defenseman," whose development has "stalled"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: