Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #1181
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
anyone else 4 days into an advent calendar?
Yep. Custom made.

Feels a bit wrong drinking a high % tall boy on a Tuesday night.

Which calendar did you pick up?

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 08:41 AM   #1182
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Is there any market for selling beer glasses locally or here on CP? Not wanting to have to ship them anywhere. Mostly singles or doubles. I amassed a fairly sizeable collection from my days working at a liquor store. I’ve got probably around 50 glasses/mugs. Domestic, imported beer, whiskey (Crown, Johnny Walker etc).
Post them in the buy & sell. We can be a little loose with the "must have price" rule. What you are offering doesn't go against the spirit of the rule.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #1183
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am

https://craftbeerimports.ca/beer-advent
Old 12-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #1184
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't buy one this year. Picked up the Alberta beer advent last year which was ok but not enough IPAs in those advent calendars for me. If they did a double IPA calendar I would buy that
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #1185
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

There were a couple years where I stumbled upon advent calendars for half price in the week or two after Christmas, but not since I moved. Any good bets for this now? Thinking it's more likely they just split unsold cases up as singles now...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:01 PM   #1186
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Night 5 tonight, Red Racer
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 12:03 PM   #1187
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
There were a couple years where I stumbled upon advent calendars for half price in the week or two after Christmas, but not since I moved. Any good bets for this now? Thinking it's more likely they just split unsold cases up as singles now...
Depends on the store I guess. We just keep the calendars til the end of the month and then sell them cheap.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:03 PM   #1188
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I was chatting with a guy at coop liqueur last year and he was saying they don't order nearly as many anymore as they are not big sellers and got burned a few times.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #1189
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm only two days in, and it is bugging me. I was ready and set to start on the 1st, but I had a stomach bug so I had to push it back a couple of days. Can't decide if I'll make up for it this weekend, or save the final days for Christmas day when we spend time with the in-laws.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #1190
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I posted my beer glass collection in the buy/sell if anyone is interested.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:09 PM   #1191
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any other GF folks try Heathen's Brewing? Thinking of stopping by tomorrow.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:57 PM   #1192
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah I'm going red racer (central city) this year. probably about the 3rd or 4th time I've gone this route (although in the past they have been in collab with Parallel 49)

as with northcrunk I'm a bit of an IPA guy (well almost exclusively the other 11 months of the year) and if someone sold an IPA calendar I would be letting them take my money but I do kind of enjoy that December allows me to go in a different direction.

have certainly made my own in the past too which is fun

I certainly take it pretty seriously. had to fly for a one day trip for work the other day- had to check my suitcase so the the Dec 4 Barrel aged IPA would make the trip

Last edited by looooob; 12-06-2019 at 05:12 PM.
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:59 PM   #1193
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stopped by Heathen's. Planned my day around getting there for their 3pm open time, in the hope of beating rush hour, but alas, they weren't open. Waited a little bit, but the lights were off. No way to run a business, guys!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:40 AM   #1194
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
yeah I'm going red racer (central city) this year. probably about the 3rd or 4th time I've gone this route (although in the past they have been in collab with Parallel 49)

as with northcrunk I'm a bit of an IPA guy (well almost exclusively the other 11 months of the year) and if someone sold an IPA calendar I would be letting them take my money but I do kind of enjoy that December allows me to go in a different direction.

have certainly made my own in the past too which is fun

I certainly take it pretty seriously. had to fly for a one day trip for work the other day- had to check my suitcase so the the Dec 4 Barrel aged IPA would make the trip
This is only the 3rd year I did a Beer calender. I never really thought about it and my wife buys one for me each year. My first year was the Red Racer/Parallel 49 version.

That was quite fun. Lots of really off the wall craft beers that year. At least for me. I dumped a couple, like Sour Cherry (or whatever it was that was really sour) and pine needle but for the most part it was really interesting. I think the first one was Chocolate Orange and I was wondering what I was getting into but it was pretty good.

Last year as well as this year my wife has picked up the package from Craft Beer Imports. I really enjoy them. I get to try beer that I normally wouldn't buy.

I usually just stick to basics, like Big Rock (Grasshopper was a part of last year's calendar) or maybe I'll splurge and get some Innis & Gunn so December is a treat.

A few years ago I didn't like much craft beer but it has really grown on me.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:59 AM   #1195
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know if a lot of it is new stuff coming out or I've just delved really deep into the beer world but there is some really weird #### out there.

For example, this feels like getting punched in the mouth with a cupcake.

Also picking up a lot more nitros because I love a good smooth coffee stout.

Finally, do people actually care for barleywines?

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 04:27 AM   #1196
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Stopped by Heathen's. Planned my day around getting there for their 3pm open time, in the hope of beating rush hour, but alas, they weren't open. Waited a little bit, but the lights were off. No way to run a business, guys!

That’s too bad, it’s good beer, but amazing in the context of gluten free beer. Their peanut butter stout is something else. Try the PB&J radler if you go when they’re open.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:09 PM   #1197
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
That’s too bad, it’s good beer, but amazing in the context of gluten free beer. Their peanut butter stout is something else. Try the PB&J radler if you go when they’re open.
I think the only two grosser beers I've had were a candy cane stout (like brushing your teeth and drinking a beer) and a maple syrup (NOT subtle.. like a glass of syrup).

Old 12-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #1198
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
I didn't buy one this year. Picked up the Alberta beer advent last year which was ok but not enough IPAs in those advent calendars for me. If they did a double IPA calendar I would buy that
Speaking of dipas, Super duper from Cabin and Howling Fantods from Annex are both out again for a limited time. Both fantastic.

I believe the double from Apex will be available soon and hopefully Outcast starts canning again soon and makes Forgetful a permanent selection, as it is possibly the best of the lot.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:01 PM   #1199
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
I think the only two grosser beers I've had were a candy cane stout (like brushing your teeth and drinking a beer) and a maple syrup (NOT subtle.. like a glass of syrup).
well wish us red racers well tonight as we have a sweet potato maple ale on the docket
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:01 PM   #1200
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
well wish us red racers well tonight as we have a sweet potato maple ale on the docket
Well don't knock it before you try it. It was the rogue bacon maple syrup beer that I had that was awful. I've had lots of 'subtle' maple flavor beers that are excellent!

Case in point:

Delicious.

Tags
beer , conway twitty , drunks , yes conway twitty