Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #41
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto View Post
Had drinks with a Hurricane player last night. A lots of guys on that team want to stick it to Peters. He called it 'Their Stanley Cup'. I expect them to come out flying. Not going to be an easy game.
Lol if this is their Stanley cup then that’s a sad team they’ve got
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #42
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Had drinks with a Hurricane player last night. A lots of guys on that team want to stick it to Peters. He called it 'Their Stanley Cup'. I expect them to come out flying. Not going to be an easy game.
Did you meet Dougie @ Telus Spark or the Bell music hall?
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #43
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as the Flames show up, they should win this one. I just hope they're not looking past tonight to their week off. Just need to get off to a good start and we'll be fine.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:00 PM   #44
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Boomer and Tyler talking on NHL radio that with a win tonight the Flames could be as much as 8 points up on the 2nd place Sharks.

They're almost conceding 1st place to the Flames.

They cautioned there's a long way to go but man it's nice to hear that kind of talk.
The Sharks are just not that good.

They are practically unbeatable on home ice, but have a really underwhelming road record. Tonight they will play game four of their four-game road trip on which they have earned 0 points. It will be their third game in four nights, the second of a back-to-back, and they will be playing the Stanley Cup champions. While the Sharks are an impressive 17-4-4 in SJ, they are a pathetic 11-12-3 on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:22 PM   #45
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why are they mad at him? He tried to get them to play what is clearly a winning style of hockey and he seems to be the kind of coach that has expectations of the players but isn't a ridiculous task-master a la Keenan.

If they are upset at anyone it should be themselves for failing to do no better in his absence. Maybe they should spend their time looking in the mirror instead of blaming a coach who was clearly not the problem?

Just an absolutely befuddling position to have in this situation. Reeks of jealousy.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 01:26 PM   #46
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Why are they mad at him? He tried to get them to play what is clearly a winning style of hockey and he seems to be the kind of coach that has expectations of the players but isn't a ridiculous task-master a la Keenan.

If they are upset at anyone it should be themselves for failing to do no better in his absence. Maybe they should spend their time looking in the mirror instead of blaming a coach who was clearly not the problem?

Just an absolutely befuddling position to have in this situation. Reeks of jealousy.
It is easy to hate past coaches, even the ones that you win with. The higher the level you play, often, the more antagonizing coaches become. Winning cures everything while it is happening, but no one looks back fondly at some ####### humiliating you in front of the whole team. Not saying that Peters is like that, but enough coaches are to make you want to win against every old coach you ever had.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 01:33 PM   #47
fire_starter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
As long as the Flames show up, they should win this one. I just hope they're not looking past tonight to their week off. Just need to get off to a good start and we'll be fine.

I keep getting flashbacks of that stinker against the Blues before the Christmas break. Mind you Smith was in net that game tho and let in some stinkers but the team wasn't exactly up to par either.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:38 PM   #48
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
It is easy to hate past coaches, even the ones that you win with. The higher the level you play, often, the more antagonizing coaches become. Winning cures everything while it is happening, but no one looks back fondly at some ####### humiliating you in front of the whole team. Not saying that Peters is like that, but enough coaches are to make you want to win against every old coach you ever had.
I understand your points, but it still doesn't make much sense to me. Are they like this against Paul Maurice and the Jets? Peter Laviolette and the Predators? Ok, granted, most players currently on the team didn't have those coaches.

It just seems petty to me. No boss is perfect, and they are trying to get you to give peak performance as much as possible. It should be understood that it's going to push you to an uncomfortable place sometimes. Unless the expectations are unreasonable, there is a lack of respect, or there is true mental anguish put on the players by the coach, it shouldn't be much of an issue. I don't see any of that being possible with Peters.

Truly exceptional individuals hold themselves to a higher standard than any boss could ever hold them to. In my experience, those who shrink from expectations and resent being pushed are the mediocre to poor performers who are likely more upset at not being able to achieve anything significant rather than truly being upset at a boss. However, they lack the clarity to see their own shortcomings and vent at the easy scapegoat: a boss.

It speaks to a level of immaturity and a lack of self-awareness amongst those players. I think that if they're still holding grudges against Peters, they're going to be mired in mediocrity for a while.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #49
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe they were all best friends with Eddie Lack.

But I suspect the success of the Flames maybe makes them feel like they look bad.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:42 PM   #50
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

He used a loophole to get out of his Hurricanes contract one year early.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:42 PM   #51
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Maybe they were all best friends with Eddie Lack.

But I suspect the success of the Flames maybe makes them feel like they look bad.
Nah, the only person that the Flames' success truly makes look bad is Glen Gulutzan. The talent was mostly here for an elite team but they were mediocre at best under his guidance. He should feel shame.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #52
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
And? It wasn't a loophole. It was an out clause that the team negotiated with him in good faith. He exercised a part of his contract. Nothing bad about that.

Like any player wouldn't pursue free agency with gusto when they had the opportunity.

Again, it reeks of jealousy because he's doing so well with a new team. It's like being mad at your ex-lover who was always out of your league realizing that they could find greener pastures elsewhere and having a better life without you.

Jealousy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #53
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
By loophole I assume you mean the fact that it was optional for him to go one more year. I don't call that a loophole, I call it a pretty fundamental term of the deal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #54
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nah, the only person that the Flames' success truly makes look bad is Glen Gulutzan. The talent was mostly here for an elite team but they were mediocre at best under his guidance. He should feel shame.
I'm not saying they should feel that way - the Flames have better talent. I'm saying they may feel that way.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:50 PM   #55
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lets not forget that while there may be some players on the Hurricanes that want to stick it to their old coach, there's also 3 players and a head coach on the Flames that would love to 'stick it' to their old club as well.

Having said all that. Flames win 4-1.

Monahan, Tkachuk, Bennett, and Lindholm
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:54 PM   #56
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wasn't really into it before....but if we are going to get a rental, then I wouldn't mind if Ferland just stayed here after tonight's game. Injuries aside, he would be a great fit ahead of Mangialane/Czarnik and could slide up and down the lineup as required.

Only issue is that with Ferland (besides injury concerns), Carolina needs to have something to show for the summer trade so I suspect they will look for an overpayment.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #57
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
By loophole I assume you mean the fact that it was optional for him to go one more year. I don't call that a loophole, I call it a pretty fundamental term of the deal.
And it was reported the new owner didn't really want Peters anyways preferring to go with someone with less salary.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #58
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
And? It wasn't a loophole. It was an out clause that the team negotiated with him in good faith. He exercised a part of his contract. Nothing bad about that...
That's true, but I wouldn't doubt that players and Hurricanes management can't help but feel slighted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:05 PM   #59
CN10
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Sport Select Info
Flames Win = 1.65
Goes to Shootout = 3.7
Hurricanes Win = 3.3
Over 6.5 = 1.75
Under 6.5 = 1.65

Has all the makings of a trap game as we're coming off a big win against the Oilers, it's the last game before a long break, plus an opponent motivated to stick it to their old coach. These are the types of games last year's Flames would crap the bed in.

I have faith Peters can get them motivated (money on the board perhaps) to start their vacation on a positive note. 5-3 Flames with all the former Canes picking up at least a point and Peters winning a coach's challenge.
CN10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:06 PM   #60
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Neal Frolik and Backlund playing together I suggest that we start calling them the National Film Board.

TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote