Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Champion
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default PC Drivers Update Software

I tried a search and didn't want to make a thread, but ended up making one.

Does anybody here know or recommend a software program which will let me go through my PC hardware and automatically tell me that there are new drivers I need to download?

I figure this would be a lot easier than going to the manufacture website for everything.

Thanks
Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
jayocal
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Check out Driver Max.

Free version works good for me.
jayocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll try Driver Max too, something to consider is that 99% of anything that can do this is a very cheap scam to get some coin out of you and not provide much for a service.

It would be nice to have a free version that works. I'll update with Driver Max experience
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

So im trying Driver Max... anything I want to do requires registration (same trick as all the programs, except they have asked for money yet). But the reg request never goes to my email (junk or inbox), so registration won't complete.

What was your experience like?
Old 11-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Can't Windows Update do this?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Can't Windows Update do this?
Windows 7 does, and its quite nice. I'm not sure that the vendor supplied drivers delivered via Windows Update are quite as current as what you could get directly from their websites, but they are pretty current.

I wouldn't use any of those apps that tell you when drivers are updated though. Really, how many different drivers are you that concerned about? Check for chipset, video, and sound drivers once a quarter and you're probably good to go.

In fact, video drivers are probably the only ones I'd even bother keeping up to date, and even then, only as I acquired new games or software that might benefit from newer drivers.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This goes double for BIOS updates. I've seen more computers borked from failed BIOS updates than I have ever, in my entire career, seen demonstrably improved by a BIOS update. Especially in the consumer space. Servers have a slightly better track record.
cKy
Old 11-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Windows 7 does, and its quite nice. I'm not sure that the vendor supplied drivers delivered via Windows Update are quite as current as what you could get directly from their websites, but they are pretty current.

I wouldn't use any of those apps that tell you when drivers are updated though. Really, how many different drivers are you that concerned about? Check for chipset, video, and sound drivers once a quarter and you're probably good to go.

In fact, video drivers are probably the only ones I'd even bother keeping up to date, and even then, only as I acquired new games or software that might benefit from newer drivers.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This goes double for BIOS updates. I've seen more computers borked from failed BIOS updates than I have ever, in my entire career, seen demonstrably improved by a BIOS update. Especially in the consumer space. Servers have a slightly better track record.
What he said ^

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

As an update, finally using the program and researching some bits:

DO NOT USE THESE AUTO SOFTWARE UPDATERS

it has basically made up drivers and offers to download them for you slowly. the drivers can do more harm than good.

As hard as it is, believe me its hard with older parts, manually updating from ati, amd, etc websites is the best way to go. my last updates are mostly from 2005-2006, and they are the true, last updates. These programs will find new ones from 2009 and 2010, but they are not relevant to your hardware
Old 11-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

There is no urgent need to get the latest drivers. At most, you would probably want a driver update for 1 or 2 devices every 6 months at the most. What the heck are you doing that requires all these drivers?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Driver Max gets a big thumbs down from me.

The only time I have ever stooped to trying driver max was when the onboard video on an obscure czech mobo wouldn't accept any driver that was supposed to work. It was like they literally said "hey we are out if the right chip, lets make this one with this other chip that isn't anywhere close to the same thing".

I downloaded and installed the program and tried to use it to ID the part. When it gave me the run around, claiming there was pretty much every driver on the system that needed to be upgraded I promptly uninstalled Driver Max and went and bought a new video card to replace the onboard video.

One thing I have tried with some success in the past is Driver Magician. It pulls and archives all drivers on a system so you can reinstall them at a later date (like after a nuke and pave)