Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default WTF happened to my monitor?

Hey guys

So right now, I'm just typing away on Facebook and my monitor went black. Here's a list of things I have done, so far.

- I checked the power connection and PC connection. All is fine.
- Restarted my PC. Nope...didn't work.
- Turned the power to the monitor on and off...well this kinda helped.

I get picture for about 3 or 4 seconds, and then it goes black again.

I've disconnected the monitor from my PC and grabbed my wife's PC monitor. Plugged it into my PC and viola! Picture, and here I am typing.

Took my monitor over to her PC...same problem. So it's definitely on the monitor side.

It's a Samsung SyncMaster 931cw 19" LCD

I clean my monitor on a regular basis. Just with a simple dry shammy. I don't hit it or anything. Just turn it on and off when I use my PC.

Anyone have any suggestions? Worth getting fixed, considering the pricing of monitors these days? Anyone else had this happen? Common with LCDs?
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:17 AM   #2
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Turned the power to the monitor on and off...well this kinda helped.
What does this mean? Did you see anything on the screen when it first turned on?

Maybe the backlight has failed. I don't think that's worth fixing given the current cost of LCDs.

When you tried your wife's monitor, did you use the cable attached to it, or did you use the cable originally attached to your "bad" monitor?

Last edited by Bob; 10-31-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:20 AM   #3
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
What does this mean? Did you see anything on the screen when it first turned on?
Yah, I could see the last page I was on, stuff like that. Just like if you had turned off your monitor and then turned it back on. Only, mine when black again after about 3 or 4 seconds.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
hkstylez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Monitor is busted, time to get a new one. =D. I've had the same problem too, once it switches off on you and cannot be turned back on, than you know your monitor blew a fuse or something. haha.
hkstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:22 AM   #5
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The power indicator (power switch that lights up) is solid, as to indicate that there is signal.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:23 AM   #6
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstylez View Post
Monitor is busted, time to get a new one. =D
Dang! That sucks! Just..."poof" like that, eh? No warning.

Well...I guess this is a good excuse to upgrade to a 24" or whatever.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:30 AM   #7
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Mile-DJ View Post
The power indicator (power switch that lights up) is solid, as to indicate that there is signal.
So if you turn it on again, is the last good image (i.e. your facebook page, or whatever) still there?

Edit: Ah, it went black again after that? Yeah, nothing can feasibly be done.

Last edited by Bob; 10-31-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:33 AM   #8
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
So if you turn it on again, is the last good image (i.e. your facebook page, or whatever) still there?
Yes it is. And I can I can move around my mouse a bit, click, etc, etc. the monitor just won't stay on.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:41 AM   #9
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ok, just did a few other things. Even when I re-boot my PC the monitor goes out after about 3 or 4 seconds. Even at the boot screens. So...can't be on the PC side..since I'm using my wife's monitor, and nothing is happening.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:51 AM   #10
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Did a little searching on the inter-webs. Sounds like it's the "inverter."

"Easily" replaceable from what I read. But I have no idea where to buy on in Calgary. I couldn't find any online for my model. As for cost...no idea. <sigh>
Old 10-31-2010, 01:01 AM   #11
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Did a little searching on the inter-webs. Sounds like it's the "inverter."

"Easily" replaceable from what I read. But I have no idea where to buy on in Calgary. I couldn't find any online for my model. As for cost...no idea. <sigh>
I'd be inclined to just replace the monitor. You might be able to fix it but then again the monitor might crap out again. IMO it's not worth the hassle and headaches of fixing.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:11 AM   #12
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I'd be inclined to just replace the monitor. You might be able to fix it but then again the monitor might crap out again. IMO it's not worth the hassle and headaches of fixing.
I think I'm going to have to agree. I dig up my receipt from 5 years ago. The monitor only came with a 3 year warranty. So...I guess I got my money's worth.

Time to start searching for a new monitor.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:22 AM   #13
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Had a monitor at work that did something similar, we were just going to throw it out so I decided to take it home hoping it was something simple and I could get a free monitor. Once I finally got it apart (which is a pain to do) I found a blown capacitor. Looks like this

You could always open it up just to see if you can find anything obvious, if you're just going to throw it away anyway.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:19 AM   #14
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It's a Samsung SyncMaster 931cw 19" LCD
I've seen this happen to a couple of SyncMasters now at one of my clients.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:26 PM   #15
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The most common culprits are bad capacitors, fried inverter, or a bad lamp. It can also be a mess of a lot of other things. Your symptoms sound like something I've seen in a Dell which had some bad mosfets.

You need to identify which of these it is before thinking about repair. Even if you are repairing it, it will not be worth your while unless you know how to do it yourself because the cost of parts and labor will cost more than your monitor will be worth. You will not find anything in Calgary. You need to look online for parts.

There is a guy on CP that used to look at LCDs and Plasmas though, I don't think it was Gobsgraham, I think it was someone else.

Here is a big collection of pictures of dead monitor issues to help ID the problem.

http://s807.photobucket.com/home/budm/allalbums

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-31-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:34 PM   #16
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If the issue in this case is what I think it is, it's not an inverter issue - the monitor will light, show the screen briefly, then go back to it's "i have no signal so I'm going to sleep" mode.

I actually think the issue for these cases is on the input signal side, not the output.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:53 PM   #17
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hey everyone

Just to update: I plugged my monitor back into my PC and my wife's, and got the same results. So...did a little shopping today and picked up this today @ Memory Express:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...7%28ME%29.aspx

I ended up buying the 4 Year IPR Replacement Plan so my total (with tax) was $167.98

So...basically if anything happens to the monitor, except physical damage, they'll replace it on the spot. Even bad pixels or "burn-ins." So...I'm happy.

I appreciate everyone's input in this thread. I just consider this an early birthday present...and so does my wife! LOLZ!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:13 PM   #18
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bit late to the party here, but we have had some at work meet a similar fate. They were SyncMasters as well, but I can't recall the exact model, but they were 19" ones too.

Unfortunately they found their way into the electronics recycling depot as repair wasn't practical.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote