Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2020, 08:24 AM   #3621
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegFan View Post
I think that traffic was mostly due to the pedestrian incident at 162 with the C-train, but I could be wrong.
I was in and out for most of the day with my kids hockey evals and it didn't improve much once they opened the crossing at 162nd. We will see. I hope it isn't bad since I have to get out of there and go south on Macloed...
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:03 AM   #3622
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Driving westbound on 22x towards spruce meadows I can see why there is no exit on 6th st - the exit to spruce meadows way comes up waaaaaay faster than expected, I missed it the first time and had to circle back
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #3623
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Yeah permanent. Sucks, but they're rebuilding 22X a little bit past there and they need to level it all out. Advisory Notice

Regarding the detour off 53rd St, isn't 146 Ave a gravel road? I haven't been down that road in a couple years, but I believe it was back then (or maybe it was the portion further west of 53rd). Has it been upgraded?
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #3624
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

its gravel, so it 53rd after the turn off from 22x
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:53 PM   #3625
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'm pretty sure 53 St from 22X to 146 Ave is still gravel, so is 146 Ave west of 37 St. Sounds like the earliest the ring road will be open down to 22X is "summer 2021" so it will be annoying till then. Target date is October 1, 2021 of course.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:34 PM   #3626
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know how access to Lakeview / Grey Eagle is going to work from SB Sarcee Trail (ie Westhills) now that they've built the concrete dividers that prevent you from accessing 37th St SW from Glenmore? Seems like a silly design to have a 2km wall just to prevent the lanes from joining up.

Almost looks like you've got to backtrack to Westhills Way via WB Stoney and loop around onto the other side of the divided EB Glenmore...

Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:37 PM   #3627
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I'm pretty sure 53 St from 22X to 146 Ave is still gravel, so is 146 Ave west of 37 St. Sounds like the earliest the ring road will be open down to 22X is "summer 2021" so it will be annoying till then. Target date is October 1, 2021 of course.
I get it now. If you want to go North, you'd have to go all the way to James Mckevitt to get there instead of 37th connecting. Yea that does suck for anyone west of Calgary
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:15 PM   #3628
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Seems like a silly design to have a 2km wall just to prevent the lanes from joining up.

Almost looks like you've got to backtrack to Westhills Way via WB Stoney and loop around onto the other side of the divided EB Glenmore...
It's to prevent weaving. If Calgarians didn't suck so bad at driving, it would have been fine.

We plotted out the alternatives a few pages back in this thread. The backtrack via Westhills Way adds maybe 30-45 seconds of travel time. They are roundabouts so you won't even have to stop most of the time.

Easy trade off for the extra safety, IMO.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2020, 05:09 PM   #3629
stevinder
Backup Goalie

Exp:

An alternative to get in and out of WestHills is always welcomed. That one might just work.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:49 PM   #3630
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevinder View Post
An alternative to get in and out of WestHills is always welcomed. That one might just work.
Yeah it's going to take a big load off Richmond/Sarcee, to the extent that I think they should put a temporary "Access to EB Glenmore can use here -->" on EB Richmond Rd before Westhills and see how it goes. The city needs to be ready to re-time the lights at Westhills/Richmond when people start to figure out they can save a few minutes going that way. It might then overload that intersection a bit, and they'll reach a kind of equilibrium that should be better than before.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:09 PM   #3631
vtec260
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Anyone know how access to Lakeview / Grey Eagle is going to work from SB Sarcee Trail (ie Westhills) now that they've built the concrete dividers that prevent you from accessing 37th St SW from Glenmore? Seems like a silly design to have a 2km wall just to prevent the lanes from joining up.

They took out the concrete barrier recently last week, I think. What a waste of time and money. People are already cutting across 4-5 lanes to get off to Lakeview/37th street.
vtec260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:14 PM   #3632
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I dunno what happened. They poured it and then nuked it with jack hammers a few days later. My first guess was a bad concrete mix that wasn't up to spec or something such. Whether or not there is a barrier there isn't the kind of decision you make 2 weeks before due date so... and given all their documentation about the lack of access to 37 St they haven't changed their minds. So something will be going there.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:32 PM   #3633
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I figured they were jackhammering out the sections where light standards would go. Is that not the case? Are they really nuking it all?

And people wonder why taxes are so high
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:40 PM   #3634
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looked to me when I drove by that they were nuking it all. The nature of P3 projects is such that you'd be required to fix that now if it was bad. They wouldn't put lights there based on how they've done lights for similar sections on the ring roads. I think it takes about 2 days for them to do it, if they'll be repouring it. Maybe a last second change to a cable barrier. No idea.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:46 PM   #3635
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Slightly off topic but I have personally found some of the signage for the road construction on this project to be lacking at times... RIP

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/2-dead-in...tion-1.5114448
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:34 PM   #3636
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe not a factor, but there's massive speeding happening on 22X in the 60 zones with seemingly zero response from CPS. It's sad to see.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2020, 08:45 PM   #3637
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Very sad to see.

Maybe it's only because I'm more familiar with the Sarcee / Hwy 8 section, but I found myself down in the 22X area and found it to be a complete cluster-f compared to what I'm used to... lack of signage, clear markers or even a hint of where the road might actually be (/going)... Very confusing and, sadly, not all that surprising that something happened.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:54 PM   #3638
vegasbound
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe not a factor, but there's massive speeding happening on 22X in the 60 zones with seemingly zero response from CPS. It's sad to see.

I drive that section quite a bit and it looks like from where the accident happened, that spot isn't the worst marked spot in the realm of construction (just my opinion) but would whole hardheartedly agree with you on the speeding through there. I saw a cop last week for the first time in months down there.

Horrible none the less about the fatality though.
vegasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:27 PM   #3639
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Driving westbound on 22x towards spruce meadows I can see why there is no exit on 6th st - the exit to spruce meadows way comes up waaaaaay faster than expected, I missed it the first time and had to circle back
This was you wasn't it?

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2020, 09:35 PM   #3640
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Why does 37th street closure suck? There's not much off that street, unless you live there. 22x and 53rd becomes the main access to the new Providence area along with the overpass on 162.
It sucks because the ring road is not open yet to 22X. Prior to this closure, you could use 37 St as a way to get to Anderson Rd from 22X. As of Oct 1, 2021 it won't matter. So to clarify, it sucks only for the next 12 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I was in and out for most of the day with my kids hockey evals and it didn't improve much once they opened the crossing at 162nd. We will see. I hope it isn't bad since I have to get out of there and go south on Macloed...
To be honest... this will not get better.