Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-18-2020, 10:51 PM   #81
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Great and once self driving cars become a true reality Skynet will execute a hidden file called Human Pinball and kill us all.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:06 PM   #82
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do Teslas in self-driving mode deal with non-standard road conditions - eg) construction zone with pylons placed around to guide drivers or at the bridge construction off HWY1 going to HWY40 where crews are directing alternating traffic across the bridge. I am assuming the car will stop, but does it just stop in the middle of the road or what?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:31 AM   #83
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
What's the penalty for sleeping while supervising a driver on a learner's permit? That's about equivalent to this situation.
I believe it’s the the learner gets charged with driving without a license because the conditions of his licences weren’t met. That’s old Saskatchewan law though not sure about Alberta today.

So the car loses its licences for 3 months.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 12:00 PM   #84
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I believe freeway driving is done by a self driving Tesla extremely well.

In urban traffic it can’t always figure out every scenario.

Based on other comments I’ve seen from others, Tesla’s can basically drive from Calgary to Edmonton, with no intervention, perfectly safely.

I have a hard time calling this dangerous, because in reality, it wasn’t particularly dangerous. Not saying that the driver didn’t commit an offence - on top of the speeding. There’s certainly some carelessness there. Stunting maybe.

But again, the laws need to ready to adapt for the time in the somewhat near future where cars will be 100% safe to drive autonomously in all situations.
‘Some’ carelessness? Tesla themselves say the driver must be attentive and ready to take control, let alone Alberta law. There is no ‘some’ about it.

And do we really believe that self driving personal vehicles will ever be allowed to be cruise around with a vacant driver? A personal vehicle is wholly dependent on the owner, and I think it’s incredibly stupid to believe that as autonomous vehicles become more and more common, and more and more aged, that the operator is someone entirely off the hook.

#### fails. When half the vehicles on the road are autonomous and beyond a few years old, we better not be accepting that everyone has their vehicle in perfect order.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:52 PM   #85
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I believe it’s the the learner gets charged with driving without a license because the conditions of his licences weren’t met. That’s old Saskatchewan law though not sure about Alberta today.

I thought it depends on the situation. I thought there's apparently a clause allowing a learner to drive an inebriated class 5 driver.

But yes, a class 5 probably shouldn't sleep beside a class 7.

Edit:This example.

https://driving.ca/column/lorraine/l...ignated-driver

Have the rules changed?

Last edited by DoubleF; 09-19-2020 at 07:00 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:02 PM   #86
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Actually this brings up an interesting thought regarding self driving vehicles. Maybe the appropriate penalty would be to disable the vehicle for three months. They are all software driven so a court mandated disable download could be a simple solution. If we need modify our driving laws for self driven vehicles maybe we need to reconsider penalties too.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:18 PM   #87
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Actually this brings up an interesting thought regarding self driving vehicles. Maybe the appropriate penalty would be to disable the vehicle for three months. They are all software driven so a court mandated disable download could be a simple solution. If we need modify our driving laws for self driven vehicles maybe we need to reconsider penalties too.
I think just randomly turning the software off across the whole fleet for a few hours every week without warning would be far more effective and entertaining at the same time, we could call it Darwin's Law
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2020, 07:40 AM   #88
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't own one, but I'm pretty sure the car will pull over and stop of you aren't holding onto the steering wheel with some force after 3 minutes. I really don't buy that this guy was actually sleeping.

Having said that, penalties should be the same regardless of vehicle on the road.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:53 AM   #89
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I don't own one, but I'm pretty sure the car will pull over and stop of you aren't holding onto the steering wheel with some force after 3 minutes. I really don't buy that this guy was actually sleeping.

Having said that, penalties should be the same regardless of vehicle on the road.
It may have changed but people used to tie a ziplock with weights or rocks inside to the wheel to trick the car into thinking hands are still on the wheel.

I'm constantly amazed that people are willing to put their life at risk (and others on the road too) simply to nap or watch a movie while driving.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:34 AM   #90
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
What's the penalty for sleeping while supervising a driver on a learner's permit? That's about equivalent to this situation.
While the car goes 150? It would be reckless driving. Or does it need 160 on hwy 2 for reckless driving?
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote