Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #121
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
One thing I've been thinking of is that Marvel is basically introducing their "Superman".. that unbeatable, all awesome and powerful character. They had the Hulk, but we watched him get dumbied by Thanos. Now they are introducing Catpain Marvel who isn't quite Silver Surfer, but can basically throw any of the current MCU characters around.

MCU has struggled a bit with their continuity with power levels though, so they can just cop out and continue down that route and nobody seems to really care or notice.. but it will be interesting to see how they handle her powers.
This is actually something that I think they've done well.

The Hulk can be beaten, Thor can be beaten, but then they carry on with their journey/quest and develop new powers, strategies or resolve and keep fighting.

Making characters invincible makes them uninteresting. If they cant lose, even a little bit, then who cares?

The Hulk is notorious for having fluctuating power levels depending on how angry he is, and they've even played around with when and how he changes and his thinking process as Hulk, but I think they've done it in an excellent manner.

It provides entertainment, it makes the characters have to use strategy and thought without it turning into some mindless punch-fest.

They do the same with Captain America at times too, he often fights above his weight class and holds his own, etc.

I find that it helps keep the story grounded because if the Hulk or Thor could just do it themselves then theres no need for the Avengers whereas, conversely, in DC its basically just "hold the fort until Superman shows up" despite having other characters that are stupidly powerful in their own right (Wonder Woman/Green Lantern, etc.).

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #122
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Making characters invincible makes them uninteresting. If they cant lose, even a little bit, then who cares?
There are ways to do it. For example, Dr. Manhattan is interesting precisely because he's basically a God, but everything about Watchmen is different from other comics because it's about investigating tropes, so that's sort of cheating.

But if you look at the Sentry, who is (as far as I know) by far the most powerful hero in Marvel Comics, they essentially make him interesting by giving him equally crippling flaws. When Superman shows up, it's unquestionably a good thing. When the Sentry shows up, it definitely isn't. That's how you keep the "uberpowerful ultimate superhero" thing interesting.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:11 PM   #123
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

There are plenty of lists naming the most powerful characters in the Marvel universe. Usually, you see names like One-Above-All, Beyonder, Living Tribunal, Eternity, Franklin Richards, Phoenix, Galactus, Odin, Hercules, Grandmaster. Fulcrum, Gaea, Infinity, Nemesis, Oblivion, Death, Kronos.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:42 PM   #124
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those characters aren't superheroes, though. They're entities. Usually tertiary characters used for plot purposes. You're not going to see a Living Tribunal comic book get published.

(watch as it turns out they published one at some point)
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 09-05-2018, 03:02 PM   #125
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Those characters aren't superheroes, though. They're entities. Usually tertiary characters used for plot purposes. You're not going to see a Living Tribunal comic book get published.

(watch as it turns out they published one at some point)

What would be the point it would be a one page two frame comic book.

Frame one, see whoever is going to raise the ire of these entities.

Frame two, a smoking crater 50 km's wide wile the entity looks at the email on his cell phone.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:49 AM   #126
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Showing some love to the MCU

Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #127
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you kidding me? He was an amazing Superman. No Cavill , no Affleck , WB you suck!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...source=twitter
Old 09-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #128
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So with Ben Affleck likely to also be exiting, and now Cavill, the guy who basically started the DCEU. Continuity will be a complete mess. Not that it already isnt.

Of the trinity, Gal Gadot won't be going anywhere.

Aquaman has early positive buzz about it, I bet Shazaam will be successful.

Unless they just focus on individual movies, I don't know how they attempt to keep any sort of continuity in the universe as a whole.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #129
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect they'll just re-cast them and act like nothing's changed and continue the universe. Which, to be fair, there's a long tradition of doing that with Batman, though the movies were bad.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #130
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Showing some love to the MCU

You are an odd duck.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #131
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing official has come out yet and Cavil's manager sent a tweet saying his cape is still in his closet so I will wait until official confirmation before I become depressed and angry at WB for messing this up. However IMO and this is just my opinion Cavil > Reeves. He is the best Superman we have ever gotten and this is coming from someone who loves all 5 of Reeves Superman films.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #132
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nothing official has come out yet and Cavil's manager sent a tweet saying his cape is still in his closet so I will wait until official confirmation before I become depressed and angry at WB for messing this up. However IMO and this is just my opinion Cavil > Reeves. He is the best Superman we have ever gotten and this is coming from someone who loves all 5 of Reeves Superman films.
Even still though, I dont know why Cavill (who IMO is a mediocre actor at best) would leave his Golden Goose, there has always been dissension in the DCU.

It started with Affleck and now its come to Cavill, Aquaman is a toss-up and the Flash hasnt done anything yet the only one thats more or less untouchable is Gadot because her movie was the only one that wasnt complete crap.

Granted, I havent seen Aquaman yet but my hopes are not high.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:32 PM   #133
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You are an odd duck.
Lol I do like the MCU, and I love about 90% of the films in that pic. I just happen to prefer the DCEU & DC Comics but somehow that became twisted into that I hate everything Marvel and the MCU. Despite the fact that I own every single Marvel movie ever made except for 2
Old 09-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #134
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

It really is to bad that Wonder Woman was seen as such a big success, if that had flopped or even been mediocre this would be the perfect time to blow the universe up. Unfortunately they will want to play that out. And then we will see in WW2 that WW1 was actually not that great, and was a victor of circumstances.. and by then it will be to late as two new schmucks will be cast as Batman/Supes. Probably Miles Teller to ruin another beloved franchise of mine.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:54 PM   #135
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Even still though, I dont know why Cavill (who IMO is a mediocre actor at best) would leave his Golden Goose, there has always been dissension in the DCU.

It started with Affleck and now its come to Cavill, Aquaman is a toss-up and the Flash hasnt done anything yet the only one thats more or less untouchable is Gadot because her movie was the only one that wasnt complete crap.

Granted, I havent seen Aquaman yet but my hopes are not high.
A lot of the Affleck stuff had to do with him being implicated in the Me Too stuff. The initial rumours of him leaving came out directly after accusations were made against him. His future with the DCEU will depend on how things eventually resolve with that.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #136
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
It really is to bad that Wonder Woman was seen as such a big success, if that had flopped or even been mediocre this would be the perfect time to blow the universe up. Unfortunately they will want to play that out. And then we will see in WW2 that WW1 was actually not that great, and was a victor of circumstances.. and by then it will be to late as two new schmucks will be cast as Batman/Supes. Probably Miles Teller to ruin another beloved franchise of mine.
I think the thing to remember is that Hollywood is super slow to reboot things. Even if tomorrow they woke up and were like yup burn it all to the ground were starting fresh it would probably be what 5 years (at best) until we saw the first movie roll out. I guess maybe thats what people want but I don't want to go 5 years with no DC movies that would be brutal.

I think with Aquaman we will get an answer as to what they are planning. If they have the LOD recruit Black Manta then I guess they will go forward with a shared universe. If there is no crossover then I think the future of DC movies are just stand alone films with no crossover potential.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #137
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Cavill is going to play Geralt in The Witcher Netflix series for now
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #138
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
I think the thing to remember is that Hollywood is super slow to reboot things. Even if tomorrow they woke up and were like yup burn it all to the ground were starting fresh it would probably be what 5 years (at best) until we saw the first movie roll out.
Unless you're Spider-man. That was a 3 year release to release reboot.

Warner Bros biggest mistake was rushing to copy Marvel's integrated movie universe success. Rather than a slow build the mashed it all together as quickly as possible. There is so much negativity about those films I don't think they're going to be given a chance to recover with this group of heroes/actors.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #139
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Unless you're Spider-man. That was a 3 year release to release reboot.

Warner Bros biggest mistake was rushing to copy Marvel's integrated movie universe success. Rather than a slow build the mashed it all together as quickly as possible. There is so much negativity about those films I don't think they're going to be given a chance to recover with this group of heroes/actors.
I still say their biggest mistake was making movies that were a jumbled mess. They clearly changed direction dramatically several times in the production of JL, BvS, and Suicide Squad. These movies didn't function as basic stories.

I don't think we needed yet another movie devoted to Batman's origin. Even looking back on Marvel, a lot of their earlier movies like Thor and the Hulk simply wouldn't fly now. The standards have gotten higher since those movies were released.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #140
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

WB has certainly been more reactionary and trying to copy Marvels success but they are taking the wrong lessons.

Suicide Squad should have been great, it had all the ingredients for making something special. At the last minute they decided to make major changes and completely ruin David Ayers vision. The only reason why I enjoyed the film was because of the actors who all did a fantastic job but to me its only average and I'm the biggest DC apologist.

BvS they cut 30 minutes from the movie and resulted in the movie getting terrible reviews even tho IMO the directors cut is brilliant.

JL they completely screwed up. I love JL and I like the movie but it should have been so much more epic than it was. JL is such an iconic group in comic books, they should have movies that are much more epic than Avengers but it wasn't, (I think it's as good as AOU but way worse than Avengers and Infinity War). They tried to add a bunch of jokes instead of keeping with the darker DC aesthetic previously set up with MOS and BvS.

The first trailers for JL and SS seem like they are from a completely different film than the finished products. I'm still super excited for Aquaman, Shazam and WW84 but after those 3 films I dont think I will be nearly as invested as I am now.