Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2019, 12:33 PM   #1121
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you care what an audience thinks of a move they haven't seen?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:40 PM   #1122
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Do you care what an audience thinks of a move they haven't seen?
...That's not what I said? I said that I generally relate more to what audiences think of movies as opposed to critics.

Also, this whole Rotten Tomatoes thing: These aren't "reviews". It's an up or down vote to show whether or not you're interested in seeing the movie.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:18 PM   #1123
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't mean to imply that's what you said, I was merely asking.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:13 PM   #1124
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Rami Malek in talks to play next Bond villain. Sorry I don’t have a link.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:04 AM   #1125
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Dark Phoenix trailer...

Old 02-28-2019, 09:04 AM   #1126
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm not sure how I feel about that trailer.

First glimpse is that it feels more like X-Men Apocalypse than Days of Future Past or First Class.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:48 AM   #1127
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will Smith will not be returning for SS2. They are not sure if they will just not include Deadshot or recast. So no Affleck, Smith, Sndyer, Ayer, and most likely Cavill. As Alfred says in JL " I dont recognize this world anymore". Add to the fact that WB is making their films more stand alone and less connected, my interest in the DC universe is much less than it was 1 year ago.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:56 AM   #1128
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I saw an article where the WB execs were talking about that, they want to explore stand alone films and the different faces of their characters, like the upcoming Joker film.

I am kind of excited for this different approach. Nobody can do what Marvel did as good as they did it, so I would rather have something different than just a crappier version.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #1129
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I saw an article where the WB execs were talking about that, they want to explore stand alone films and the different faces of their characters, like the upcoming Joker film.

I am kind of excited for this different approach. Nobody can do what Marvel did as good as they did it, so I would rather have something different than just a crappier version.
I agree. Aquaman was a lot of fun, because it succeeded in creating a visually captivating world.

Apparently this is also the direction they are going with the Flash universe too. They are going to be getting into the speedsters and multi-dimensional layers of the DC universe.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #1130
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate all this interlocking crap. Didn't Marvel make you watch a TV series to keep up with their movies a few years back?
Old 02-28-2019, 11:19 AM   #1131
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I hate all this interlocking crap. Didn't Marvel make you watch a TV series to keep up with their movies a few years back?
No they did not. They tied agents of shield into the events of winter soldier but it was by no means critical to following the movies. Or was it one of the avengers movies? Whichever one had Hydra.

Last edited by ResAlien; 02-28-2019 at 11:21 AM.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:00 PM   #1132
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

They have announced however that their new Marvel TV series on Disney+ will be interwoven into the MCU and things that happen in the shows will have an affect on the movies.

However these series are set up as mini series akin to Band of Brothers, a set number of episodes with a clearly defined start and finish. Not a meandering multi season nothing much happens each episode format as we've seen in their other shows.

Edit: Hrmm thinking about it and some googling I could be wrong, it could be multi season arcs for the characters involved. However I would expect it to be more like GoT where it's less episodes, a bit longer each episode but lots of relevant content.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:28 PM   #1133
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Will Smith will not be returning for SS2. They are not sure if they will just not include Deadshot or recast. So no Affleck, Smith, Sndyer, Ayer, and most likely Cavill. As Alfred says in JL " I dont recognize this world anymore". Add to the fact that WB is making their films more stand alone and less connected, my interest in the DC universe is much less than it was 1 year ago.
I would way rather have non-interlocked universes that occasionally come together. I'm more excited about DC's slate then I was for the last few years.

The myth behind what marvel did is that it is one universe built on a plan. In reality there were very few movies in which the universe at large actually affected the universe. It isn't really until Avengers II that there is meaningful movie to movie plot and then its only Civil War, Infinity War, End Game that you need to see the other movies to really enjoy. To enjoy and understand those 4 you need to see a bunch of the run up but you can enjoy the other movies as stand alone works.

A good example is Thor 3. It is critical to watch this movie to understand where the pieces are for Infinity War but you can watch Thor 3 as long as you know Thor is a Norse God. How Hulk got to the planet really doesn't matter, or why Loki was impersonating the king doesn't really matter. Its a good stand alone movie. Same with Black Panther, Good stand alone movie but if you watched IW without seeing it you would be lost.

DC forgot how to make comic book crossover events. You have good stand alone books that loosely know of each others existence but stand alone. Then every few years you bring everyone together for a cool event.

So DC going to one offs with Aqua Man, the new flash, new WW, new Joker is good news. You can bring them together later on once you have successful individual movies.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #1134
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They have announced however that their new Marvel TV series on Disney+ will be interwoven into the MCU and things that happen in the shows will have an affect on the movies.

However these series are set up as mini series akin to Band of Brothers, a set number of episodes with a clearly defined start and finish. Not a meandering multi season nothing much happens each episode format as we've seen in their other shows.

Edit: Hrmm thinking about it and some googling I could be wrong, it could be multi season arcs for the characters involved. However I would expect it to be more like GoT where it's less episodes, a bit longer each episode but lots of relevant content.

I think some of the mini series will be more like origin stories set before the current MCU. So while they’ll be tied in, likely only to past events and thus not really affecting the movies much outside of building character.

I’ll see XMen. I’ve enjoyed every movie except X3, Origins, and Apocalypse. I think it can avoid the issues with Apocalypse purely by having a known villain we ( presumably) care about already vs trying to build one.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:00 PM   #1135
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think Marvel will have to be somewhat careful after Avengers: End Game. I have loved what they have done over the last 11 years but I do think they have a risk of "burn out" after the arc comes to an end.

Depending on how this all ends...it may be tough to keep the momentum going to a new story and a new set of super heroes.

I honestly think it is super smart that they are taking a year off after End Game (not including Sony's Spiderman) and think that an even longer break wouldn't be a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I think some of the mini series will be more like origin stories set before the current MCU. So while they’ll be tied in, likely only to past events and thus not really affecting the movies much outside of building character.
I think this is the right move.

Establish series that provide more context and back story for those die hard fans, but nothing that will take away from the experience or story for those that just want to watch the Cinematic Universe.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:10 PM   #1136
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
If DC loses this guy it might be time to close up shop.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:43 AM   #1137
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I predict that Captain Marvel will be the new center of the MCU post End Game, they will focus on her for a while, but won't do any major team up movies for a looong time. There will be team up movies, like duo's maybe trios, but not major multi movie multi character arcs.

Will be really hard to top End Game, so no point in trying until we are craving more.

In Hellboy news, I did not know that it got a R rating.. this is kind of cool. I still just have trouble accepting a non Pearlman Hellboy, and this trailer does give away a fair amount of the movie.. but I am more inclined to watch it after this trailer than the first one. Redband trailer, NSFW language/violence.

NSFW!
Old 03-01-2019, 09:24 AM   #1138
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I did not think that Hellboy trailer was very good. It looks very... I don't know. DCish. Not in a good way.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #1139
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Fair enough, I can see those points. I am excited for another R rated comic book movie though, this has the potential to help separate it from the original movies.

I re watched IM2 and Winter Soldier this weekend, IM2 is better than I remembered it being. I think the worst parts were Black Widow with her super corny action moves. She was great as Natalia under cover though. They did a great job of weaving SHIELD into the overall story. I forgot how much connection this had with the MCU, between the Senator who is in WS, Coulson leaving for Thors hammer in New Mexico and all the SHIELD set up.

Winter Soldier is still my favourite MCU movie. It's just so well done. The fight scenes, the action is over the top at some points but very, very grounded in the brawl fights we see in other points. The music, cinematography (/greenscreening?) all of it is just so well done.

Going to pick and choose a few more between now and End Game, I have never re watched Dr. Strange so I think I will give that a chance again.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:58 AM   #1140
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Also, Captain Marvel has embraced a full on 90's Nostalgia marketing campaign including magic eye posters, pup up video stores and a super sweet angelfire style website:

https://www.marvel.com/captainmarvel/

https://www.cbr.com/captain-marvel-pop-up-video-stores/

Nailed it.