Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 02:59 PM   #2341
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Pence was claiming victory for recent job creation. Can't find the tweet now, but one person compared this to someone poisoning their husband and then claiming they "saved" him by providing the antidote.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:04 PM   #2342
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, so apparently AOC's appearance at the DNC will be a 60-second pre-recorded video. Meanwhile, the party of pro-choice, LGBTQ rights, and the working class has scheduled a speech from a former Republican governor who introduced a heartbeat bill, was openly homophobic, and worked hard to crush unions in his home state.

The Democratic establishment is just diet-GOP at this point.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 03:13 PM   #2343
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
President Saying The Quiet Part Out Loud strikes again

https://twitter.com/user/status/1293883405990596608
Americans should be furious about this; basically trying to rig the system in his favor.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...nal-emergency/

Add to it the fact that QAnon candidates are infiltrating the GOP ranks now, and some of them are welcoming them in, is pretty outrageous.

IF there are any GOP with any ethics left, they need to speak up now.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:27 PM   #2344
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't recall the whole "withholding funding" tactic being used as frequently in past administrations as it is in this one. I may have missed it though. I know Reagan did it to force states to accept the 21 year drinking age, but I can't think of many other situations where presidents do this at the drop of a hat.

So far, Trump has threatened to defund sanctuary cities that allow undocumented residents, schools that can't open due to COVID concerns, and now the USPS to try sabotage voting.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:36 PM   #2345
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Americans should be furious about this; basically trying to rig the system in his favor.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...nal-emergency/

Add to it the fact that QAnon candidates are infiltrating the GOP ranks now, and some of them are welcoming them in, is pretty outrageous.

IF there are any GOP with any ethics left, they need to speak up now.
There are plenty who speak up. But what can they really do?
Old 08-13-2020, 03:46 PM   #2346
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 08-13-2020, 03:52 PM   #2347
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny how the Republicans were so afraid of the Tea Party fracturing the 2-party system, and then became the Tea Party to avoid that.

Not too dissimilar to how the PC basically became the Reform Party when they re-branded as the CPC. At least they re-branded to avoid the confusion.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:54 PM   #2348
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
It should also be known that Donald Trump was born to a mother who had not yet earned naturalized status. If Harris is not qualified, then neither is the sitting president.

I agree with your overall thoughts on this issue, but the above isn't true. His mother became a naturalised citizen in 1942. Donald Trump was born four years later.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...migrant-mother
Old 08-13-2020, 05:02 PM   #2349
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
I agree with your overall thoughts on this issue, but the above isn't true. His mother became a naturalised citizen in 1942. Donald Trump was born four years later.

Thank you for the correction. I thought she petitioned in 1942 and was not granted her citizenship until later (1949) after her five children were born. I will store this in the data banks.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:12 PM   #2350
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
There are plenty who speak up. But what can they really do?
from the party? like who?

Outside of Romney, i don't see many GOP members of the House or Senate consistently speak out against anything, much less in forceful manner.

the only exception was when Trump suggested delaying the election, which set off alarm bells, causing top ranking GOP to actually say something.

What can they do? Maybe vote for corona virus relief packages that include funding for the USPS, which has been one of the things the Dems are including in the relief plan?

or maybe voting for Impeachment? Calling out Barr in the congressional hearings? Slapping back Jordan on his ridiculous line of questioning of Fauci at the House hearing on corona virus?

There's lots they can do; they choose to do nothing and watch the country burn.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:12 PM   #2351
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I don't recall the whole "withholding funding" tactic being used as frequently in past administrations as it is in this one. I may have missed it though. I know Reagan did it to force states to accept the 21 year drinking age, but I can't think of many other situations where presidents do this at the drop of a hat.

So far, Trump has threatened to defund sanctuary cities that allow undocumented residents, schools that can't open due to COVID concerns, and now the USPS to try sabotage voting.
Obama did with Medicare expansion. One president/congress did it with speed limits. No child left behind by Bush. There have been several states rights cases around it. I would say it’s fairly common in areas where the federal government try’s to create a program in an area under state jurisdiction.

Most of them are congressional execution of spending powers though.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:11 PM   #2352
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post

At least 2020 isn't as bad as 1946
Old 08-13-2020, 08:43 PM   #2353
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Lol, so apparently AOC's appearance at the DNC will be a 60-second pre-recorded video. Meanwhile, the party of pro-choice, LGBTQ rights, and the working class has scheduled a speech from a former Republican governor who introduced a heartbeat bill, was openly homophobic, and worked hard to crush unions in his home state.

I like AOC, while I may not agree with everything she believes I like her. That said she is still a very junior member of the party with little experience. It’s not a shock. Sanders is speaking, Warren will speak. AOC got a seat at the table with the big boys...that’s not a small thing. The progressives got a pretty good amount of stage/speech time.

The thing people seem to be missing is the senior progressive torch bearers in Warren and Sanders have had considerable influence in shaping the platform (Sanders keeping his delegates for leverage on the platform, Warren being involved with the financial reform aspects). Warren stands to be an important member of the administration if Biden were to win.

This is different from 2016. It’s not all about flashy speeches but actually winning things of substance. They have done that. It’s not everything but it also wouldn’t be everything if the torch bearers won the nomination either....

Kasich....he vetoed both heartbeat laws that came to his desk (his successor Dewine signed the one that was blocked by the courts). Now he did sign some restrictive abortion laws but he vetoed the heartbeat laws. He has said some not nice things with regards to homophobia victims...he also signed laws protecting trans workers and said the discussion in same sex marriage was over and decided. He put executive actions in place such that Ohio was one of the states where you could not discriminate based on sexual orientation (2011). He later extended that executive action to protect gender identity or expression (2018).

Guess what though? There are DNC members with the same beliefs that don’t line up with yours or mine on those topics and as long as it doesn’t enter into the platform that’s fine (Biden is personally pro-life but that’s separate from his legislation). Kasich also believes that climate change is real, wants prison reform with reduced sentences for nonviolent criminals and focus on rehabilitation, undocumented immigrants should be allowed to stay and concedes that path to citizenship may be part of that solution, and actually had a platform that was a mix of tax reduction and tax increases.

Don’t get me wrong he is a republican and believes many things I do not like. I understand the outrage on the surface but Kasich is a center-right Republican overall and that is a group that can be swayed to move from Trump. That’s the point. If the progressive left can’t be bothered to vote because of that well then they’ve completely lost site of the war they are fighting and the battles they have won this cycle will go for naught, likely never to happen again for a very long time.

And really when all is said and done the way the system is supposed to work is to force governance from the middle.

Last edited by ernie; 08-13-2020 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:48 PM   #2354
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
I understand the outrage on the surface but Kasich is a center-right Republican overall and that is a group that can be swayed to move from Trump. That’s the point. If the progressive left can’t be bothered to vote because of that well then they’ve completely lost site of the war they are fighting and the battles they have won this cycle will go for naught, likely never to happen again for a very long time.
Well said. The Bernie-or-bust mentality is very short-sighted and leads to more overall harm.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #2355
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

lol
https://twitter.com/user/status/1294033047143108608
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to IrishSpring2013 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 09:44 PM   #2356
JR449
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

They are for sure not bringing in the best for the next election for sure.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:44 PM   #2357
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The foreword to Cohen’s new book:

https://www.showbiz411.com/2020/08/1...not-parachutes

Quote:
There are reasons why there has never been an intimate portrait of Donald Trump, the man. In part, it’s because he has a million acquaintances, pals and hangers on, but no real friends. He has no one he trusts to keep his secrets. For ten years, he certainly had me, and I was always there for him, and look what happened to me. I urge you to really consider that fact: Trump has no true friends. He has lived his entire life avoiding and evading taking responsibility for his actions. He crushed or cheated all who stood in his way, but I know where the skeletons are buried because I was the one who buried them.

I was the one who most encouraged him to run for president in 2011, and then again in 2015, carefully orchestrating the famous trip down the escalator in Trump Tower for him to announce his candidacy. When Trump wanted to reach Russian President Vladimir Putin, via a secret back channel, I was tasked with making the connection in my Keystone Kop fashion. I stiffed contractors on his behalf, ripped off his business partners, lied to his wife Melania to hide his sexual infidelities, and bullied and screamed at anyone who threatened Trump’s path to power. From golden showers in a sex club in Vegas, to tax fraud, to deals with corrupt officials from the former Soviet Union, to catch and kill conspiracies to silence Trump’s clandestine lovers, I wasn’t just a witness to the president’s rise—I was an active and eager participant.
Quote:
Representative Elijah Cummings had the final word, as chair of the Oversight Committee. I sat in silence, listening to this now deceased man with decades of experience in the civil rights movement and other forms of public service, who as a lawyer had represented disgraced lawyers like me. He understood that even the least of us deserve the opportunity to seek penance, redemption and a second chance in life. Cummings was the lone politician I encountered in all my travails who took an interest in me as a human being. When I reported to serve my sentence, he even took steps to ensure my security in prison. It was a selfless act of kindness for which I will always be grateful.
Quote:
I’m certain that Trump knows he will face prison time if he leaves office, the inevitable cold Karma to the notorious chants of “Lock Her Up!” But that is the Trump I know in a nutshell. He projects his own sins and crimes onto others, partly to distract and confuse but mostly because he thinks everyone is as corrupt and shameless and ruthless as he is; a poisonous mindset I know all too well. Whoever follows Trump into the White House, if the President doesn’t manage to make himself the leader for life, as he has started to joke about—and Trump never actually jokes- will discover a tangle of frauds and scams and lawlessness. Trump and his minions will do anything to cover up that reality, and I mean anything.

Last edited by troutman; 08-13-2020 at 09:58 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 10:06 PM   #2358
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1294066985186340864
Old 08-13-2020, 10:13 PM   #2359
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Your understanding of American politics is so limited. AOC is seen as an extremist to the vast majority of voters. You cannot trust her to have a major role at the convention and be perceived as a major voice in the party. You'll bleed support. Kasich is on the list because he will appeal directly to traditional Republicans and pull votes from those who would be on the fence for Trump. The intent of these conventions is to excite voters and try to pull undecided voters from the independents and disenchanted voters from the other party. Minimizing AOC's time and bringing in a Republican voice or two who can reach the disenchanted Republicans is a solid strategy and should help out, especially since Kasich is well respected official from a major swing state.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:23 PM   #2360
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Your understanding of American politics is so limited. AOC is seen as an extremist to the vast majority of voters. You cannot trust her to have a major role at the convention and be perceived as a major voice in the party. You'll bleed support. Kasich is on the list because he will appeal directly to traditional Republicans and pull votes from those who would be on the fence for Trump. The intent of these conventions is to excite voters and try to pull undecided voters from the independents and disenchanted voters from the other party. Minimizing AOC's time and bringing in a Republican voice or two who can reach the disenchanted Republicans is a solid strategy and should help out, especially since Kasich is well respected official from a major swing state.
I'm more concerned with Biden's polling with Latinos and young black voters than I am with him pulling in wayward Republicans. The Never Trumpers seem pretty locked in at this point.

My criticism isn't bitching about progressives being locked out because it makes me annoyed. I just think it's not the best strategy if you're trying to drum up enthusiasm amongst the more disaffected members from your own side of the aisle.

It's a numbers game, right? Generally whoever turns out the most supporters from their side wins.
Closed Thread