Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #1981
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the appeal of the USL in comparison to the CanPL? On the surface, it seems that they are of similar calibre, Ottawa attendance would be middle of the pack in CanPL, etc.

USL has some close ties with MLS, but aside from the Cincinnati success story, it isn't like these clubs are "MLS in waiting".

Is USL more financially lucrative? Or does Ottawa honestly think that this is the path to an MLS franchise? Or (as mentioned above by Thunderball above), are they maintaining the facade of solidarity with USL to ensure that they are forced via sanctioning rather than leaving USL voluntarily.

Just curious whether the grass is actually greener in the USL, or is it more to do with the difficulty of divorcing from the USL?
Old 08-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #1982
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what's the appeal of the USL in comparison to the CanPL? On the surface, it seems that they are of similar calibre, Ottawa attendance would be middle of the pack in CanPL, etc.

USL has some close ties with MLS, but aside from the Cincinnati success story, it isn't like these clubs are "MLS in waiting".

Is USL more financially lucrative? Or does Ottawa honestly think that this is the path to an MLS franchise? Or (as mentioned above by Thunderball above), are they maintaining the facade of solidarity with USL to ensure that they are forced via sanctioning rather than leaving USL voluntarily.

Just curious whether the grass is actually greener in the USL, or is it more to do with the difficulty of divorcing from the USL?
The interesting thing in this case to me is the fan base. Ottawa may want one existence, but I think the fans would rather see more games against other Ontario and Quebec teams, simply from a regional perspective. I don't suspect the fans have any allegiance to the USL outside of Ottawa being in it for so many years. The CPL would probably get far more coverage in the local sports pages than than the USL does. In fact, I would suspect that after the CPL inaugural season concludes, Ottawa-based fans would probably want Fury to be playing in the CPL for a variety of reasons. It's not like the competition between USL and CPL is dramatically different.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #1983
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 08-12-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #1984
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Personally, I don't think Ottawa moves to CPL until Julian de Guzman is out. He is the main detractor against CPL, and Ottawa seems to be all in with him. As to why he is against CPL, who knows.
It's because his brother is a big jerk. I blame Jonathan.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:00 PM   #1985
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Well, either shenanigans are happening, or they virtually sold out the stadium today. About 300 tickets sold today, and there's about 225 tickets left in the grandstand.

We'll see what gets released tomorrow, I guess.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #1986
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

This will be in the house Friday. Foot Soldiers get it for the next 18 months if Cavalry win on Friday. I've asked that we get it for the remainder of the year even if we lose, since we paid for half of it.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 06:41 PM   #1987
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post

My guess is they’re in good with the USL and don’t want to risk that position by going to the CPL in case it isn’t as lucrative/around in a few years.

All very ironic because one of the 14 board members of the CSA, is John Pugh, who owns the Fury. So much for developing and promoting soccer in this country when one of your national association board members has a team of his own, but refuses to play them in this country’s league.

Also explained why the CSA went silent when Concacaf mused that Ottawa should be in the CPL earlier this year. Not that the CSA has any issue in staying quiet and out of important soccer issues in this country (2 plus months of the racism allegation to the Forge assistant, must be waiting for them to be punted out of Champions tournament), but here they had even more of an excuse.

Last edited by browna; 08-12-2019 at 06:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 07:42 PM   #1988
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Well, either shenanigans are happening, or they virtually sold out the stadium today. About 300 tickets sold today, and there's about 225 tickets left in the grandstand.

We'll see what gets released tomorrow, I guess.
I'm not afraid to call shenanigans (as you all know), but I honestly don't think so this time. With the Whitecaps shenanigans, it was a pretty blatant attempt to trick people into filling up the more expensive sections (which I believe was a TicketMaster thing, and not a club thing, for the record).

Not only would there be no benefit this late to do that, there are no "eff that" priced sections for this match (except the hospitality hob nob stuff, but those don't really count). Things top out at $60-something, and there are no $100 and $89 tickets. In short, the club has the pricing spot on for this one, and it should (and probably will) make a good template for regular season matches next year.

I will even say that, if true, this is an even better accomplishment than the Whitecaps match. There were a LOT of Whitecaps fans at that match, and although it helped the atmosphere, the fans at the Montreal match will 99% Cavalry supporters which is awesome.

Maybe hundreds of seats will open up tomorrow and I'll eat crow, but for tonight, I think that the pricing, the opposition, and the occasion are looking to be spot on.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 08:41 PM   #1989
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gabriel Bitar is leaving Cavalry to return to Carleton University for the 2019 season. The right move for Bitar as he would not have seen minutes, and Pepple will snap up any additional minutes he could get for the remainder of the season. I was actually surprised Tommy signed him, as my understanding was he didn't rate him that much given what attacking players were already signed.

Oddly enough the player Bitar beat out for that last roster spot, Easton Ongaro, is the leagues hottest scorer right now. Ongaro would not have seen any more action with Cavalry than Bitar received, so Tommy let him sign with Edmonton in a case of "do what's best for the player".

I doubt he will be back. Willy Akio, you're up next.

https://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/article/c...ton-university

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #1990
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only single seats remain for Wednesday's game. They will all be $25.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1161066610754387968

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #1991
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whats the weather policy if there is an evening storm tomorrow?
Old 08-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #1992
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Whats the weather policy if there is an evening storm tomorrow?
Weitz - did you ever find out about the Rose and Crown bus deal?
Old 08-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #1993
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It's Calgary. Any storm will pass. Just wait it out and hope the One Soccer crew doesn't go home.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 08:24 AM   #1994
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Weitz - did you ever find out about the Rose and Crown bus deal?
Nah but are gonna head over to Rose and Crown at 4 and eat and drink. Worst comes to worst we will uber.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #1995
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Only single seats remain for Wednesday's game. They will all be $25.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1161066610754387968
And this is what I meant by shenanigans. It was clearly odd to me that all the stray singles disappeared of ticketmaster's main page. This explains it.

Cool deal though.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #1996
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Nah but are gonna head over to Rose and Crown at 4 and eat and drink. Worst comes to worst we will uber.
I had sent a message to Shermanator yesterday and he got back to me. There will be a shuttle (or 2) around 6pm from Rose and Crown. It will be good for a 100 people.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:32 AM   #1997
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like Piatti is injured again and won't be playing on Wednesday...

https://www.tvasports.ca/2019/08/13/...nouveau-blesse

Last edited by shermanator; 08-13-2019 at 09:36 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #1998
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sounds like Piatti is injured again and won't be playing on Wednesday...

https://www.tvasports.ca/2019/08/13/...nouveau-blesse
Best wishes for a fast recovery*.

* Thursday or later.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 09:50 AM   #1999
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

After last match I was telling the Impact supporters that we played on a horse pasture, I don't think they understood what I meant. I hope that the pitch is bumpy as hell, and them remember my drunk ass.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:02 AM   #2000
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to confirm, Kildare's IS running a bus. It leaves at 6:30 though, which is pretty early, but gives some time to hang out at the ground, have a sausage (my own tradition), etc.

The manager also said that, if demand proves high, that a second run is very likely. The only other time they had more than one bus full was for the Whitecaps match, and the bus and driver had no issue doing a second run.

So basically the process is: go to pub, patronize pub, and get a free ticket from the staff to reserve your spot on bus.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge