Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #1041
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no doubt they’ll somehow work the Prime Universe Lorca into this storyline somehow. Since no character seems to stay dead. Even if it’s just a season finale cameo or something.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:16 AM   #1042
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ya, TNG season 1 really blew. I still remember watching it’s release and went “wtf” but because everybody was craving the first new Star Trek, it thankfully lived past the first 2 seasons - cause season 2 basically blew as well.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #1043
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

That was a truly excellent episode, more like this please.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #1044
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
That was a truly excellent episode, more like this please.
I agree, that was a good one.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #1045
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It worked because frankly it had one story line in it.

However I am going to complain. This aliens that we can't understand is annoying as it gets. I guess they were speaking English, it sounded like it, but half of it was just completely garbled.

I don't know

Quote:
If angry fearless Saru is a great change, they already have enough of the hero's on the crew, Saru's fear instincts created a nice balance.

I knew they were going to deux ex that alien sphere. Oh lets just look up the answers. Here it is. It just seems like a massive cheat. Wait until the last episode when they don't know who the red angel is, and then Michael goes "We just finished translating the Sphere data, oh and here it is, the Red Angel is me in the future god moding the galaxy"

Anson mount was really good in this episode, but he's been the strongest part of the season.

Keeping a episode to one or 2 storylines has always worked with Star Trek.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #1046
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

However I am going to complain. This aliens that we can't understand is annoying as it gets. I guess they were speaking English, it sounded like it, but half of it was just completely garbled.

I don't know
Haha! I had to turn on subtitles to understand them.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #1047
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

When the Baul (sp?) had Saru and sister imprisoned on their ship and he started to break free, the alien just sort of slinked away. I expected a dozen more to show and go after him, so when that didn't happen i then started to wonder if maybe there aren't that many more?

Were they unable to recover their numbers after nearly going the way of the dinosaur? Or when Saru started to go berserk, did they just realize, 'ooookay, we're f'd - just kill them all.' Regardless, i suspect we'll see the Baul again, and it's probably the first new species Discovery has introduced us to where I hope that is the case.

One tihng that's been bugging me since I finished the episode a half hour ago, I don't remember Saru's sister or his planet at all - does Discovery show scenes before the episodes as some sort of weird style prologue? I'm pretty certain I didn't miss any episodes, but just don't remember. I believe they made references during the episode, too

Anyway, I'm glad the Klingons have taken a back seat this season. I didnt realize how much I didn't care for those until we got something else regularly.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #1048
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
One tihng that's been bugging me since I finished the episode a half hour ago, I don't remember Saru's sister or his planet at all - does Discovery show scenes before the episodes as some sort of weird style prologue? I'm pretty certain I didn't miss any episodes, but just don't remember. I believe they made references during the episode, too
It was one of the "Short Trek" episodes that was released during the fall. If you have Crave, they're on there (there's 4 in total, each one is about 15 minutes long). If you don't have Crave, I'm not sure how you can watch them.

So far, the Saru episode (the third one) is the only one that has tied into this season of Discovery directly.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #1049
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What’s going on Hugh? You would think that somebody who basically had a factory reset done on their bodies would be feeling terrific.

But what is a little disappointing is no Tig Notaro. Hope she stays since I don’t think there is not much info about her character staying on the Enterprise after Pike goes back.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:28 AM   #1050
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was talking to a friend of mine, because we're both kind of hooked on the idea of technology looks and design in science fiction.

I still don't understand the Discovery's bridge layout, it always seems that Burnham who is the queen of fixing everything has to constantly go over to other people's consoles and push them aside to implement her solutions.

It just reminds me of the IT Guy on SNL pushing people away from their computers.

On top of that, they just seem to have the technology as another character on the bridge and so you have a bunch of people on the bridge that we don't care about and who's only job is to push buttons and yell "Yes Captain".

What I love about the Orville design is that we don't have overwhelming technology, the bridge looks cool without overwhelming us with cool tech. Its simplified and it doesn't take away from the characters.

With Discovery its also jarring as their tech looks far in advance of TNG.

If you look at the Orville it really follows the TNG/DS9 formula of not letting the tech overwhelm the characters.

Also and I'm going to add on, the Discovery tech looks so counter intuitive, is it just me or does it seem like every action on the bridge require at least 20 button pushes and slider manipulations?

Old 02-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #1051
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been trying to figure out why this show is so hectic, I think Captain, you mentioned there is no time for music because of all the action noise. But then I noticed the quick cuts. And, hooo boy...I started counting in my head how long they lasted, and that's when it started to stand out. Almost the entire episode is made up of 1-3 second clips, the occasional 5, and only a few in the 7-10 second range.

It almost makes it exhausting to watch. Over here! Look, we changed ang-BAM reverse shot! spin shot, spin spin spinorama(at the start when they were looking at a floating star chart or something). Angled camera! Shaky cam, running cam, chase cam!

Put the GD thing on a tripod for a bit and leave it alone!

Last edited by Fuzz; 02-24-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #1052
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Star Trek works better with less money. This show is too expensive and Star Trek rarely works when it focuses too much on visuals.

I watched "Elementary, my Dear Data" this week with my fiance, who has never watched Star Trek and has lots of preconceptions about it. For those who don't remember/haven't seen it, Data and Geordi are playing a Sherlock Holmes mystery on the holodeck. But because Data knows all of the Holmes mysteries backwards, he's solving all the puzzles in the first scene instead of letting the story play out.

So Geordi asks the computer to create a mystery in the Holmes style featuring a villain capable of defeating Data. The computer creates Moriarty, who becomes self aware and takes control of the Enterprise.

It's awesome. One of the best TNG episodes ever made. Star Trek: Discovery cannot make an episode like that. It is not set up for it.

Before they announced Patrick Stewart was coming back to do another run as Picard, I had come up with a little story called "Star Trek: Fable" - the premise being the Federation was extended an invitation to the Q Continuum, but they had to figure out how to get there themselves. Nobody in the Galaxy can match Picard's vast experience with Q, so he is recruited to join the mission even though he's very old and in very poor health. He's not the captain, more of an ambassador.

They figure out that the way to get to the Continuum is to warp directly through the centre of a star, and build a prototype ship to make the journey - USS Fable. When they get there, the stage is set for all sorts of good sci-fi about the meaning of life, spirituality, etc. Basically the idea is Star Trek V minus the bull####, with more space (pun intended) to explore a number of ideas.

The last scene sees Picard wheezing as he attempts to fall asleep, and John de Lancie apparates in. He says something like 'Trouble sleeping?' and then they have a conversation about regret. Q finds it interesting because he doesn't regret anything. He offers Picard more time, to make him young again, and Picard turns him down, saying he's done.

Q: I can hold your hand, if you like. As a friend.

Picard: Are we 'friends', Q?

Q: My dear Jean-Luc... Are we not?

Picard gives him that Picard side eye before nodding. Q sits on the bed, and holds Picard's hand. The camera pans slowly over to the window, and holds on the stars for a few moments. Just out of frame, Q's telltale flash occurs, and the wheezing has stopped.

Credits.

So yeah, I hope the new Picard show does something like that.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #1053
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

And I was hoping for a odd couple like scenario where Sisko and Picard end up as room mates at a Federation retirement home.

Picard - "There are 5 lights"

Sisko - "What"

Picard - "Get off of my lawn"

They could have a zany soundtrack and a lot of guest stars.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2019, 02:40 PM   #1054
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elementary, My Dear Data is one of my favourite episodes of STNG.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:45 PM   #1055
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I don't know

I'm a total Star Trek fan and will continue watching any series good or bad, but Discovery is really challenging to get into. Agree that the visuals and budget prevent deep story lines and character development like TNG. Perhaps all that is needed is time.

I'll complain about this episode as well. Although it was refreshing having primarily one main plot point for this episode, the story was just stupid.

-Let's send out a frequency to evolve an entire species. Don't worry, all will be fine
-Saru breaks free and there's not a soul in sight within this highly technology advanced race that monitors every square inch of the planet
-Saru sees his sister for the first time in 18 years. The sis sees her first alien & then invites them for tea

Visually this episode was wonderful once again.

Don't know why but I think Red Angel will turn out being Spock. Expect a plot twist. Or at least someone known.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:30 PM   #1056
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think the Red Angel is a female

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Old 02-24-2019, 10:56 PM   #1057
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
based on the body type, it could be

Spoiler!

just saying, similar figure, wouldn't be suprised
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:45 PM   #1058
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

CBS has renewed Discovery for a third season.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:47 PM   #1059
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Old 02-27-2019, 03:51 PM   #1060
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Spoiler!

Spoiler!