Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #821
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #822
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

That looks awesome! Can’t wait to see where they take it. Love the guy they’ve got to play Pike, and it looks like they’re trying to have more fun instead of stone cold serious like season 1.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:10 PM   #823
photon

Exp:

They were watching The Orville
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 05:44 PM   #824
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, that's a completely different tone from S1. I agree, I think they took a few notes from The Orville and also borrowed some of the fun and sense of adventure from the JJ Abrams movies.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #825
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they mainly don’t have to shoehorn in a different story line after realIzing they were renewed for more episodes. This next season should have a much better flow, although I enjoyed last season; the sore spots didn’t make it unwatchable or cause steam to eject from my temples.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:29 PM   #826
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It does look like a change of pace, as they continue to rewrite the main canon. Could have done without alien snot, it seems like every show does it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:32 PM   #827
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Still looks cheeseball to the nines.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:32 PM   #828
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Hopefully everyone that hated the first season has decided to stop watching and won't fill the thread with their nit-picking so the people who did enjoy the show can continue doing so in peace.

We get it. You don't like it. You don't need to keep explaining why week after week.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #829
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

That definitely looks better! The first season was a bit of a struggle, but I felt that they grew into it quite well.

The thing is, I really want to like this show, and I also know that sometimes Trek takes a few seasons to get into a groove so I'm going to keep giving it the benefit of the doubt.

A world in which we have The Orville and Star Trek on TV at the same time... What a time to be alive!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:48 PM   #830
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
We get it. You don't like it. You don't need to keep explaining why week after week.

Lol, it’s the internet. Good luck.

We’ve walked by the pop-up Discovery thing at Comic Con a bunch of times and it seems pretty busy every time.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:47 PM   #831
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Hopefully everyone that hated the first season has decided to stop watching and won't fill the thread with their nit-picking so the people who did enjoy the show can continue doing so in peace.
Did you forget you can watch show in peace and no one in this thread will stop you? Or do you absolutely have to be validated in your opinion of how much you like the show.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2018, 09:05 AM   #832
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Did you forget you can watch show in peace and no one in this thread will stop you? Or do you absolutely have to be validated in your opinion of how much you like the show.
productive criticism - "I didn't enjoy that last episode at all. they're just not capturing the essence of how Starfleet command is supposed to work. a good example is in TNG S06E26, when Picard and Admiral Nechayev are discussing blah blah etc..."

acceptable in small doses - "why did the Discovery have to do all those spore drive jumps to map out the sarcophagus ship? couldn't they have tried projecting a modulated inverse tachyon field, thereby inducing gravimetric distortions in the klingon cloak?"

useless crap - "glad I stopped watching this garbage show after episode 2. everyone here just needs to watch the Orville instead. that's more genuine Star Trek than whatever this STD junk is. oh and glad the JJ-verse movies are failing too, maybe they need to start making the lens flares stronger lol"
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2018, 01:05 PM   #833
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Oh Christ

https://www.tvguide.com/news/star-tr...ock-different/

Quote:
Alas, Spock is definitely headed to Star Trek: Discovery in Season 2 but he won't be the cool-headed Vulcan you know from the original Star Trek series. After dropping the big news that the OG character was headed to Discovery at Comic-Con, new showrunner Alex Kurtzman shared even more details about Spock's much-anticipated appearance, and it looks like there's some major family drama ahead.

"This is not entirely the Spock who has been formed enough to be the Spock that we know from TOS. There's a lot of story about who Spock was before he becomes the Spock that is the yin-yang to Kirk," Kurtzman told TV Guide. "What I'm so excited about is that we have an opportunity to present a version of Spock that's both totally consistent with the Spock everyone knows but very, very different. And it's all gonna tie to how we sync up with canon."

So first of all, its clear that they have no faith in the crew of the Discovery so they're going to slowly change it to the original adventures of Star Trek Enterprise. Maybe they'll treat the crew of the Discovery as complete losers. I would expect that at some point this year they'll pull the Discovery into a space garage for repairs and find a long haired grease monkey named Scotty who does the repairs and over charges them, which leads to Pike giving him a life lesson and recruiting him into Star Fleet

Pike - "You'll be an Engineer in two years and a Chief Engineer in 5"
Scotty - "Ach Laddy e'll dow it in five"

Then there will be a medical emergency and they'll find a doctor at a remote outpost who's a drunk bitter dude named McCoy.

Pike - "You'll be a nurse in two years and a Doctor in 5"
McCoy - "I'm already a doctor you idiot"

And second of all, they're going to modify spock.

I wonder if they're basing it on the yelly Spock from the Menagerie in the original series.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 08-01-2018 at 01:09 PM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 03:00 PM   #834
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picard coming back:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/4/175...ard-new-series
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:37 PM   #835
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I hope the rest of the TNG cast are relegated to cameos at the most. Please no more data and Picard.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:42 PM   #836
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I hope the rest of the TNG cast are relegated to cameos at the most. Please no more data and Picard.
Oh no! Its going to be just Data and Picard sitting in armchairs smoking pipes and sipping whiskey debating matters of the utmost galactic importance like quantum radiation and Riker's debilitating drinking problem.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-04-2018, 04:10 PM   #837
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh no! Its going to be just Data and Picard sitting in armchairs smoking pipes and sipping whiskey debating matters of the utmost galactic importance like quantum radiation and Riker's debilitating drinking problem.
Or Lwaxana Troi chasing Picard around the ship endlessly while the Benny Hill music plays.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #838
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Directed by Jonathan Frakes.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:40 PM   #839
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

Old 08-04-2018, 04:46 PM   #840
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote