Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Blackberry Decision Help

So, its about time I got one of these.

I'm with Telus and here is essentially what I need:

- I need my office email (through Telus) to be accessible.
- Scheduling: People, places, times
- Internet access (for CP obviously)

So, I'm doing anything insane on this thing, I'm aware that it can do so much more, but my question is: What kind do I need/want.

I've looked at the Curve, Pearl and Storm and I dont know which of these I might want/need.

The Curve is kind of huge, and the Storm seems excessive, so I was leaning towards the Pearl but I is there a reason I should consider the other ones?

Tell me oh great Gazoo (CP) what should I do?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Javelin (not sure if telus has it)

or wait for the next wave to come out, they're not far off. I think it's the 8520 where they get rid of the trackball and introduce an optical one.

crackberry.com for previews of them.

Of the three you mentioned, I'd go with the Curve because the keyboard is far and away better on that than it is on the Pearl and Storm.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the curve and my partner has the Storm. The storm is adequate and does everything that the Storm does (as far as I can tell) whereas my partner hates the Storm. The keys don't respond very well/fast, the battery dies pretty fast and overall its just too gimmicky.

I couldn't handle a pearl...I hate not having a single letter on a key.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have a pearl, 8120 (Wifi, baby).

That is the way I'd go. I like it, and it only took a couple of days to get used to the keyboard, but it is actually quite intuitive.

The size is the best part...apart from the wifi capability.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
Puddy27
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had a curve and loved it. My wife also loved it and I found her using it more than me so she took it and I and got a storm. The storm took some time to get used to but I wouldn't go back to the curve now. To the poster above...my keys on the storm process quickly and my battery lasts as long as my curve did. Maybe you got a lemon?

I'd say just go play around at a Telus store and you'll know which one is for you pretty quickly. You really can't lose with any of them.
Puddy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy27 View Post

I'd say just go play around at a Telus store and you'll know which one is for you pretty quickly. You really can't lose with any of them.
Do they have working models you can play around with? Those dumby models they have are about as useful as a 15 min test drive in a car.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an 8830 on Telus. Full keyboard is a huge benefit over the Pearl, in my opinion. I never figured out the predictive typing that all the texting kiddies these days use and now I never have to. Having wifi on the phone would be nice though.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I have the curve and my partner has the Storm. The storm is adequate and does everything that the Storm does (as far as I can tell) whereas my partner hates the Storm. The keys don't respond very well/fast, the battery dies pretty fast and overall its just too gimmicky.

I couldn't handle a pearl...I hate not having a single letter on a key.
Alright I read this and either you're on crack or....nope, you're on crack. What phone are you talking about man? Apparently everyone has the Storm and they hate/love it?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #9
evilcougar
Self-Ban

Exp:

I have the storm and love it. The touch screen takes some getting used to, but, its awesome now that i am.
But if i hated touch screen, i would get the Bold b/c the screen is a decent size, same with the keys. I just personally hate small screens. No point in having internet etc..on your phone if you can't friggin see anything.
evilcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm looking at doing the same thing Locke...

Keep the reviews coming.

I'm leaning towards a curve as well but am open to options....
Old 05-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #11
Ice
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have the Curve and the only complaint I had in the beginning was getting used to how wide it was. However, it didn't take that long to get used to it and the benefit of a full qwerty was so worth it. The Pearl and that "qwerty style" keyboard drove me nuts. I'd rather have a bigger phone and a keyboard that is easy to use.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #12
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Storm for me..I like gimmick's

And the new software makes it bulletproof as long as you reboot it every few days.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting. The Storm is kind of cool, so the Storm and Curve dont connect to Wifi hotspots?

Old 05-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #14
BigFlamesFan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have a curve. Im looking at upgrading to a Storm. Storm has Wifi. Thats the appeal for me.
BigFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #15
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFlamesFan View Post
I have a curve. Im looking at upgrading to a Storm. Storm has Wifi. Thats the appeal for me.
Thats going to be a big deciding factor for me as well actually. At the moment I'm leaning toward the Storm. The fact that my work is going to pay for the phone (but not the rate plan) is a big factor as well.

Can anyone recommend a good rate plan? I'm looking through the Telus website and its an incomprehensibly ridiculous jumble of plans that share this and unlimit that.

I need it for Email, Text, and Internet as well as standard phone use. Nothing too crazy.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #16
BigFlamesFan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Whatever you do go unlimited data...everything else is up to how much you plan on using it.....
BigFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #17
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've got a Pearl and hate SureType. Many of my posts here have been messed up by SureType. I am waiting for the Bold to come to Telus, then I'm switching.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #18
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Alright I read this and either you're on crack or....nope, you're on crack. What phone are you talking about man? Apparently everyone has the Storm and they hate/love it?
Ya, I can see how my post wasn't too helpful. My point was go with the Curve. I stuck with mine and my business partner regrets his move to the Storm for roughly the reasons I pointed out in my post.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #19
MissKat
Watcher of Hockey

Exp:

Curve
"Who's that Boston goalies name?...Thomas? Oh ya Thomas Broduer, and who does he play for again? Oh ya Boston, the Boston Hurricanes?" - words from my Idiot bro in law - biggest noob when it comes to hockey.
MissKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #20
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

Any reason why you're not looking at the Bold?
HelloHockeyFans is offline   Reply With Quote