Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #41
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Derek Wills @Fan960Wills
#Flames⁠ ⁠projected lines and pairings vs. #Panthers:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett
Mangiapane-Jankowski-Neal
Frolik-Ryan-Hathaway

Keeping Stone's spot warm. :P
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Benched For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 09:53 AM   #42
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

smith puts up those numbers against bottom feeders plus one inexplicable start against the capitals, a game which he lost for the flames, and rittich puts up those numbers against good teams. those numbers also include a game where he got pulled with a 66% save percentage and a 9 GAA and many garbage time goals against with multiple goal leads. they are not the same caliber of goalie despite myopic stat cherrypicking.

i'm at the acceptance stage of dealing with smith's trash fire season, but this sure seemed like it could have been an opportunity for rittich to get into a rhythm, which he never got because of the extended breaks and the aforementioned smith start, against lower quality competition. instead, we get to watch smith make an easily winnable game a 50/50 at best during a slump. i guess we can hope they'll outscore smith's league worst play again.
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jore For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 09:53 AM   #43
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Nah, Rittich has been fine. I think you need to lower your expectations because he has played like a regular average NHL goalie in the past few games instead of "being amazing". Surely, he deserves some average games this season doesn't he?

Smith plays like trash though. I wish the Flames had another back-up who could play tonight though.
Rittich has played terribly. He was bad against Vancouver, he was bad against Tampa. Smith has also played terribly. He's bad against almost everyone.

League-average save percentage this year is lower, yeah, but .810 isn't even close to good, and .901 since November 25 isn't "average," it's below average. I want another goalie as soon as humanly possible because I am no longer convinced in Rittich's ability and definitely not Smith's.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:54 AM   #44
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Rittich has played like a bottom third backup since the Xmas break with a .896 save percentage in 14 appearances.
That save percentage would be a lot higher if you take away some of the last minute goals when the team is already up by 2 goals. You can give Smith the same luxury but generally he has already shat the bed with 1 minute to go in the game. The team also hasn't been playing very well for a few months now.

The way I measure it, I don't cringe every time a player takes a shot at Rittich. Can't say the same with Smith. That's good enough for me.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:57 AM   #45
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Eric Francis @EricFrancis
Coach said Tkachuk is fine and will play tonight. Breath easy Calgary
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #46
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Rittich has played terribly. He was bad against Vancouver, he was bad against Tampa. Smith has also played terribly. He's bad against almost everyone.

League-average save percentage this year is lower, yeah, but .810 isn't even close to good, and .901 since November 25 isn't "average," it's below average. I want another goalie as soon as humanly possible because I am no longer convinced in Rittich's ability and definitely not Smith's.
San Jose game he didn't play very well. The first goal was bad but the second goal can be attributed to him being a young goalie and mistakes happen.

Vancouver game he allowed one bad and kept the team in until the shootout (2/3 saves). Not much more you can ask from your goalie, the Flames need to get at least 1 SO goal to win.

Tampa game the team just got outclassed and outworked.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #47
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
wow we've officially reached the point where blind anti-Smith people have resorted to calling widely-used statistics "meaningless" to suit their argument

https://twitter.com/user/status/1096087189388181504

I'm sorry, but both goalies have been very, very bad lately, to an almost identical extent. Flames need another guy in net, stat.
Hey kid, I called that stat meaningless, stand behind it all day long, and didn’t say a word about Smith.

If you are going to be a journalist, you should learn to choose your words to capture your intent more precisely. Unless you are going for Francis sensationalistic crap style. Then have at it.

I hope Smith has a good game
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #48
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hopefully he'll channel that pain into someone else's pain.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 10:00 AM   #49
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I predict Neal scores two goals and loses another three teeth. Flames win 4-2.

GFG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Why is Smith starting? I don't think Rittich has been THAT bad, and the thought of Smith in net is nerve racking. Feels like an automatic 3 goals against, maybe that's just me, but I don't like that decision at all.
He handles the puck really well.

<< ducks >>
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #50
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

They've both struggled, but at least theres a decent chance Rittich can bounce back. Smith was confirmed done quite a while ago. That's understandably why people may be upset.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:04 AM   #51
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default FLA vs FLA @ 5:00PM; Broadcast on Amateur Hour Network (SNET)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Hey kid, I called that stat meaningless, stand behind it all day long, and didn’t say a word about Smith.

If you are going to be a journalist, you should learn to choose your words to capture your intent more precisely. Unless you are going for Francis sensationalistic crap style. Then have at it.

I hope Smith has a good game
Well, that was uncalled for.

If you want to make claims about widely used statistics being “meaningless” then prove it. Otherwise, don’t condescend to other posters.

As for the game, I think this was probably earmarked as a start for Smith, but regardless of that, Rittich needs to be better. Period. They both do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:04 AM   #52
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
San Jose game he didn't play very well. The first goal was bad but the second goal can be attributed to him being a young goalie and mistakes happen.

Vancouver game he allowed one bad and kept the team in until the shootout (2/3 saves). Not much more you can ask from your goalie, the Flames need to get at least 1 SO goal to win.

Tampa game the team just got outclassed and outworked.
I thought he didn't come up with any big saves, and didn't hold his ground on at least one goal. No "bad" goals but no big saves.

In Vancouver he didn't play as well as the other guy, and the one bad goal he had was a difference maker in a one goal game (just like the ones Smith gets torched for in a number of instances).

Against SJ, I call his gaffe playing the puck a bad goal as well, so that's two, and they set the tone pretty early. He's sort of a roookie, true, but it's not like it was a new situation for him. And rookies who make rookie mistakes get understanding because of that, but they also get games off if they need it.

ETA: I think, like TC, that Smith was probably always penciled in for this game anyway. If Rittich pitches a SO maybe its different but otherwise, a midweek game on the road with one days rest for Rittich after three starts (counting SJ) is probably a Smith start anyway.

Last edited by GioforPM; 02-14-2019 at 10:06 AM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #53
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Sv% is a meaningless stat.
You didn't call that stat meaningless, you called save-percentage meaningless. It would be a slight to the foundations of journalism to use inference to assume that your quarrel specifically rested against the particular stat that I chose in my initial post. In journalism, we're taught to take words at their face value.

Verbatim, what you said is "Sv% is a meaningless stat," not "a three-game sample of save-percentage is too small and can be easily misconstrued to suit an argument." You can say that's what you meant, but after only reading your first post, I did not get that impression.

Please apply the precision you value so much to your own posts.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 10:07 AM   #54
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rittich has been awful lately. .810 SV% in his last three games. Time for a little shakeup, nobody's earned the crease as of late.
Rittich has been fine, the Flames have been awful lately. If we play D like we have been Florida will put a 10 spot on us
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #55
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could acquire Carey Price and it would only take Jordan Sigalet 30 games before Price is the latest Jonas Hiller.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #56
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Need some POTATO POWER tonight!:

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 10:10 AM   #57
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Rittich has been fine, the Flames have been awful lately. If we play D like we have been Florida will put a 10 spot on us
This has always been a bit of a "chicken or the egg" scenario for me.

Is a G playing worse because the D are allowing more difficult chances... or are the D playing worse because they're over compensating due to being nervous about allowing shots on their G.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:15 AM   #58
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
Need some POTATO, TURTLE AND FROG POWER tonight!:

FYP Puppetguy!
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmoggyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #59
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Well, that was uncalled for.

If you want to make claims about widely used statistics being “meaningless” then prove it. Otherwise, don’t condescend to other posters.

As for the game, I think this was probably earmarked as a start for Smith, but regardless of that, Rittich needs to be better. Period. They both do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh please. The poster throws out the term ‘blind anti-Smith yadda yadda’ responding to nothing but a comment on the utility of the statistic, and he or she should expect to be informed of that.

I had a discussion with Bingo about Rittich’s last game in another thread, talked a lot about shot quality and sv%. (Long story short, 30 muffins from the outside aren’t Stamkos one timers over the shoulder.) Not going to rehash it here.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:20 AM   #60
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I have no intention of getting into an argument. (I'm a guy, you can call me "he").

I haven't read your discussion with Bingo. Can you link it? I'd be curious to learn about what you two talked about.