Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #41
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I looked at the new rules.

3. Only one foot in bounds needed for a catch.
e.
Watched the first quarter of the game last night. They overturned a catch that sure looked okay to me with this rule. Or did they overturn it for another reason?

I liked hearing the review official too,
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:04 PM   #42
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

They overturned it cause he dropped it.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:16 PM   #43
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Finally some offense

Old 02-10-2019, 08:05 PM   #44
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1094641018597593088

Will be interesting to see how this affects negotiations between the CFLPA and the league. Too early to say whether AAF will ever be a true comparable (i.e. how many guys on AAF rosters would come up to Canada to play), but the CFL cuts players every year who think they can play up here but can't, so it will likely always remain an option.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:24 PM   #45
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nvm fake

Last edited by Weitz; 02-11-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #46
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Memphis is a 16-point underdog this week. Not bad for the second game.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:43 PM   #47
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Just heard on the Fan the league already almost folded. Players haven’t been paid yet. Until Hurricanes NHL owner invested $200 mil.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #48
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Just heard on the Fan the league already almost folded. Players haven’t been paid yet. Until Hurricanes NHL owner invested $200 mil.
well. i was under the impression the league would be great.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #49
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've legitimately watched more AAF in the last two weeks than I have NFL football the last two years, which isn't saying much for either league. The uniforms are junk, the team names are lame, but the football is decent. There are a crapton of people who play football at a high level in the States, and the only non-NFL place for them to go was Canada.

This league is selling itself as a development league. If it's going to be a success, they need to start stealing 5-star recruits from the NCAA right out of high school. That will generate hype, that will generate buzz. As far as I can tell, nobody in this league is actually a real person, they're all just auto-generated drones from the third year of a Madden franchise. Nobody will want to watch that long term.

Now, if you can come into next season with a couple quarterbacks who spurned the SEC to come play for $250K/season on a three year deal, that'll draw eyeballs. You'll draw more eyeballs when the guys who don't want to go to class decide that if they're probably going to be drafted anyway, may as well make $70K or $100K out of high school, get paid for their cut of jersey sales, be able to sign autographs and get local endorsements, and declare for the NFL at 21 having been in pro football for three seasons already.

The AAF, from what I understand, is trying to be as accommodating as they can to the NFL. Get a Madden mode out of this. That's more revenue for the players, and more exposure for the league.

With that said, it's better for the long term health of the CFL if these upstart leagues crash and burn, so #### em. And #### the NCAA with a properly inflated football.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #50
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I saw a few minutes of a game, and both teams were wearing dark uniforms. No white and dark? Can't afford home and away uniforms?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #51
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Players were supposed to be paid on Friday but got paid today. Ebsersol said "it was a glich with switching to a new administrator". Either it's a major coincidence that Tom Dundon invested $250 million the day the players get paid or Ebersol is trying to save face with that excuse. Either way it's probably a bad sign for this league as I was under the impression the league had a lot of financial backing. At least that's what we were told but it appears is not the case.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...on/2914727002/

Quote:
Meanwhile, the announced paid attendance for Week 2 games was 17,319 in Birmingham, 11,980 in Memphis, 29,176 in San Antonio and 20,019 in San Diego. Those are not embarrassing numbers for minor-league football, which ironically explains why the long-term future of the league seems so in doubt.
Those attendance numbers are similar to Toronto and Montreal CFL numbers but not great only two weeks in. If I was Vince McMahon I would probably pull the plug on the XFL before it ends up costing him a lot of money.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #52
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Players were supposed to be paid on Friday but got paid today. Ebsersol said "it was a glich with switching to a new administrator". Either it's a major coincidence that Tom Dundon invested $250 million the day the players get paid or Ebersol is trying to save face with that excuse. Either way it's probably a bad sign for this league as I was under the impression the league had a lot of financial backing. At least that's what we were told but it appears is not the case.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...on/2914727002/

Those attendance numbers are similar to Toronto and Montreal CFL numbers but not great only two weeks in. If I was Vince McMahon I would probably pull the plug on the XFL before it ends up costing him a lot of money.

Those San Antonio numbers confirm that Texans love them some.football
Old 02-19-2019, 09:34 PM   #53
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

those are Trump attendance numbers. A lot of free tickets and most were only 50% of what was announced. Prob closer to half that from the pictures. One looked like it only had 4000.

Last edited by Johnny Makarov; 02-19-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:55 AM   #54
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not looking good for this league. You have to wonder if they even make it to a 2nd season.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:07 PM   #55
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Manziel is playing for Memphis. It's pretty entertaining.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:27 PM   #56
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The majority owner of the Alliance of American Football told USA Today Sports that league is in danger of folding without help from the National Football League Players Association.

Tom Dundon, who became the AAF's chairman last month, told USA Today Sports in a recent interview that the NFLPA is not cooperating with the AAF by refusing to allow the first-year league to use young NFL players.

"If the players union is not going to give us young players, we can't be a development league," Dundon told USA Today Sports. "We are looking at our options, one of which is discontinuing the league."

Dundon said he expects to make a decision about the league's future over the next two days.

The NFLPA had no official response to Dundon's comment, according to USA Today Sports. But an anonymous NFLPA official cited numerous concerns with allowing its players to play in the AAF, including potential injury risk and violations of the collective bargaining agreement.
http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/...majority-owner
Old 03-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #57
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
If the NFL wanted a developmental league, the NFL would have a developmental league.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #58
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

And the NFL has a developmental league - the NCAA.

Seems like they formed this league assuming that the NFL would jump all over it. Oops.

Also, the average attendance league wide is claimed to be about 15,000 per game. Which, for a developmental league, is plenty. If they can't make that work, then the business model simply sucks.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #59
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that has to be a bit of a bluff. I can't see Dundon putting down $250 million to be majority owner of a league for a few months then shutting it down. I do think they are in trouble but I have to think they make a go of it for another season but then again if they needed a $250 million infusion this year who's going to step up next year? I don't know about the developmental value of this league currently as a lot of the players weren't good enough for the CFL so we are talking about a lot of fringe players.

You would hope Vince McMahon would come to his senses and scrap the XFL before he loses a lot more money as these leagues just don't have a future.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:36 PM   #60
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Vince cashed in 3 million of his WWE stock today for XFL Funding.

The stock is sitting at about 85 dollars per share so he's freed up close to 250 million in cash

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote