Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #141
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Montreal’s pro scouts were watching reddit/youtube and it paid off on them picking Byron on waivers

There’s a lot the internet can tell actual professionals about running a hockey team, sometimes.

Ask Edmonton fans if any random could have done a better job than their GM did
watching game video that has been edited so that scouts didn't have to actually cut the tape themselves is different than reading some random poster's analysis of a player and using said analysis to make organizational decisions.

despite Chiarelli's failures as GM in Edmonton, i do not believe any random fan could do a better job than a guy that won a Stanley Cup since the job entails much, much more than that.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:23 PM   #142
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Montreal’s pro scouts were watching reddit/youtube and it paid off on them picking Byron on waivers

There’s a lot the internet can tell actual professionals about running a hockey team, sometimes.

Ask Edmonton fans if any random could have done a better job than their GM did
It’s one thing to find information about a low profile player from the internet; it’s entirely another thing altogether to be scouting random, anonymous fan posts to glean insight about players inside your own organisation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:31 PM   #143
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see single purpose poster imeubu disappeared fairly quickly.

Also saw some fairly elite giveaways this afternoon.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:04 PM   #144
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I see single purpose poster imeubu disappeared fairly quickly.

Also saw some fairly elite giveaways this afternoon.
TBF he posted after the game. Also TBF he didn’t see those.

It’s “ultra elite” BTW. I assume that’s somewhere between elite and generational.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:27 PM   #145
imeubu
Draft Pick

Well it seems I must be wrong... so Manhattanboy... et al.. I will indeed stop trying.

Just thought what I was seeing was real... but no... you're right... I'm wrong.

I certainly have been wrong before.

I had 4 tickets in the Corral from day 1. Then Lanny's family bumped me when we moved to the Saddledome so I lost my premium sight line and I figure that was maybe around the time I began to notice that I didn't really understand what was going on.

And now that you've reminded me... I do remember how lousy I was at predicting anything having to do with the Flames. It's so clear to me now... I'm just wrong!!!

Exactly as I was back then. Back when I was so certain that Brett Hull was all show and no go. I could see clearly what others couldn't. Obviously he was just riding on Dad's coattails. I was so happy when they traded him.

Then Gilmour +++ good riddance I thought... about time... girlfriend or not.

Not to mention spewing all that young talent we had inherited with our connections to the oldest and most solid franchise in hockey history... with Cliff Fletcher coming over...

All gone now... but of course all that wasn't obvious to me then... just like now... I'm just not seeing things correctly. Now just like then... I truly don't know the first thing about hockey... compared to the experts.

So you don't have to convince me that fans don't know what the heck they're talking about compared to the professionals... especially like you point out... those within the actual organizations themselves.

So long... tail lights and dust.
imeubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:29 PM   #146
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Weird flex, but okay.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:06 PM   #147
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh didn’t see the post after the game, my mistake.

Didn’t say I totally disagreed, other than with the elite part.

Don’t go, maybe provide a take or two on some other players.

If that’s it then, peace man.

Go Flames Go!!
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:34 PM   #148
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeubu View Post
Well it seems I must be wrong... so Manhattanboy... et al.. I will indeed stop trying.

Just thought what I was seeing was real... but no... you're right... I'm wrong.

I certainly have been wrong before.

I had 4 tickets in the Corral from day 1. Then Lanny's family bumped me when we moved to the Saddledome so I lost my premium sight line and I figure that was maybe around the time I began to notice that I didn't really understand what was going on.

And now that you've reminded me... I do remember how lousy I was at predicting anything having to do with the Flames. It's so clear to me now... I'm just wrong!!!

Exactly as I was back then. Back when I was so certain that Brett Hull was all show and no go. I could see clearly what others couldn't. Obviously he was just riding on Dad's coattails. I was so happy when they traded him.

Then Gilmour +++ good riddance I thought... about time... girlfriend or not.

Not to mention spewing all that young talent we had inherited with our connections to the oldest and most solid franchise in hockey history... with Cliff Fletcher coming over...

All gone now... but of course all that wasn't obvious to me then... just like now... I'm just not seeing things correctly. Now just like then... I truly don't know the first thing about hockey... compared to the experts.

So you don't have to convince me that fans don't know what the heck they're talking about compared to the professionals... especially like you point out... those within the actual organizations themselves.

So long... tail lights and dust.
You might have street cred but to this forum you’re just another new user until you prove otherwise. It took months for this forum to realize I knew very little about hockey.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2019, 10:37 PM   #149
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What does this have to do with kylington?
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:39 PM   #150
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
You might have street cred but to this forum you’re just another new user until you prove otherwise. It took months for this forum to realize I knew very little about hockey.
FWIW, a single issue poster who is just really really happy about a guy is much more tolerable than a single issue guy who is here to bash a player, coach or GM. Or maybe complain about his favourite guy being mistreated (though there was a tiny element of that here).

Now Gaudreauvertime was different because his "support" of Johnny had a lot to do with complaining about Treliving.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2019, 10:46 PM   #151
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
FWIW, a single issue poster who is just really really happy about a guy is much more tolerable than a single issue guy who is here to bash a player, coach or GM. Or maybe complain about his favourite guy being mistreated (though there was a tiny element of that here).

Now Gaudreauvertime was different because his "support" of Johnny had a lot to do with complaining about Treliving.
Sure, but imeubu started by complaining that management and coaches are misusing Kylington and stunting his development. I take umbrage with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:56 PM   #152
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Sure, but imeubu started by complaining that management and coaches are misusing Kylington and stunting his development. I take umbrage with that.
Yup, that's the ice time thing I mentioned.

Frankly, I think they are handling him (and pretty much every other player) just about perfectly.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:24 PM   #153
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
You might have street cred but to this forum you’re just another new user until you prove otherwise. It took a few posts for this forum to realize I knew very little about hockey.

Fixed. (joking)
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:38 PM   #154
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as I believe he's going to be Erik Karlsson 2.0, what the heck do you do with a fully healthy D corps? Valimaki trumps him in everything except HDCF, which I feel is more a testament to Oliver's offensive instincts than Valimaki's defensive tendencies.

From a pure WOWY perspective he is without question better than Oliver for Andersson.

Valimaki or Kylington? That is the Question
Quote:

Evaluating Valimaki and Kylington by looking at how their play as two distinct pairings with Andersson, it is obvious that Valimaki has the edge. He produces more when with Andersson, and Andersson takes a bit of hit when he doesn’t have Valimaki on his left side. The added bonus is that Andersson’s only gotten better with more experience.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:48 AM   #155
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Fixed. (joking)
At least it was more than one. Success!
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 12:59 AM   #156
schooner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well, this thread was a lot to digest in one go.
schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:03 PM   #157
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I know is that Huska’s some kind of d-man whisperer.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:08 PM   #158
sekimet
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeubu View Post
Ok so I have listened to everyone and have begun my re-evaluation regarding how great I think Kylington can be.

I took three 30 second examples from the third period today because I'm hoping some of the readers will still have access to that video.

Example 1 - 3rd Period: 19:30 remaining. A two on two opportunity for Arizona (Krause and Archibald) at the Flames blue line.

Here I'm trying to communicate the "type" of skill set I'm seeing from Kylington and because this sort of play is not scoring chance or a physically demanding play it is seldom noticed and so is a little harder to illustrate. We all get replays of big checks and goals/nifty offensive chances.

That's not what I am so excited about with Kylington even though I think he will have offensive skills for sure.

This is an example of when "elite" comes in and what I'm asking everyone to look for in Kylington.

Kylington (based on many other times I've seen him do it) manages these situation so much better than the average good defense man. He would not have shown that much respect to the play. He would have stood up just a split second longer, not backed in as far and would never have allowed that much distance between himself and Archibald. He would then have been in position to step back up with a stick check as the pass back was arriving and no shot would have ever resulted.

Kylington it seems is always that much more "in tune" and "aware". It's a positioning/probability estimate that seems for him to be an innate thing.

Example 2: Same period between 7:30 and 7:00 minutes remaining:

Watch as two Flames defense men (IMO) seem to be at times both out of position (both below the goal line leaving opposing player alone in front of Smith) and disoriented (for example... one of them turning away from opposing players rather than towards them).

This creates several bad situations culminating in a dangerous point shot... primarily because the same defense man who turned away from the play was most likely feeling a little impotent in the moment... then compounds the issue by actually and inexplicably trying to deflect that point shot... one on which clearly Smith was not screened and would otherwise have had an easy save.

I picked that last clip because it leads into this next 30 seconds (continue watching from 7:00 to 6:30 minutes remaining) as Kylington comes on the ice to (as usual) do absolutely nothing... but again... that is not what I see.

Watch how Kylington always seems to have everything in focus... you get the feeling he knows where everyone is and where everyone is likely to be. Doesn't overplay, doesn't get out of position... moves to the puck at exactly the right time and does the most efficient thing when he arrives to quickly reposition again perfectly... then guess who happens to be in exactly the right place to jump up and join a breakout rush... finding all the open ice north of the 49th parallel... provides a great opportunity but as usual... no one notices him.

Just sayin.
A reasonable intelligent post from new (whether it is new poster or not) blood around here is super welcome!

I agree 100%
sekimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #159
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

OP, you should name this thread 'Don't you dare trade Oliver Kylington.'
Old 02-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #160
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote: