Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2018, 07:39 AM   #1141
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm (Second puck carrier and playmaker to take pressure of Gaudreau)

Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal (Pure finisher to finish chances created by Tkachuk and Backlund - finishing was an issue for this line last year)

Bennett-Ryan-Frolik (Ryan and Frolik both have great hockey sense and are paired with more of a gritty Bennett)

Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik (Lots of skill and finishing ability to feast on other teams 4th lines)

Exactly my forward lineup. For the exact reasons stated in parenthesis. I would flirt with flipping Ryan and Jankowski too. I dont see this team built as line 1 thru 4 anymore. I believe you have line A and A1 B and B1. Deploying each in key scenarios to best out coach the opposition where possible. Now lets hope Peters is up to the job. Biggest standing negative for me on GG
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shotinthebacklund For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 08:24 AM   #1142
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neal needs a setup man. Backlund is not a setup man. He’s a more north-south center and I don’t see as much success for Neal with Backlund. Backlund needs guys that play the same style as him, and the best guys on the roster are for that are Bennett and Frolik. This would also explain why Bennett put up his best numbers with that duo and has struggled to find his way since.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:51 AM   #1143
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I was Flames GM, this would be my to do list for the rest of summer.

-Trade Michael Stone because Stone is easily replaceable by Andersson and ~$2.7M in cap space could allow the Flames to sign Lindholm and Hanifin long-term, acquire a reliable backup (on the cheap), and sign Nick Shore.

-Sign Matt Galajda (assuming eligibility...he is 20 years old and undrafted) because we didn’t draft a goalie this year or last and his numbers look fantastic.

-Sign the RFAs including Hanifin and Lindholm. I would want Hanifin and Lindholm signed to 6 plus year deals. This will only be possible if Stone is traded (or Brouwer is bought out). Everyone else except Hathaway should be signed for 1 or 2 years. The one player I wouldn’t resign is Hathaway because, in my opinion, he is not as good as Shore.

-Sign Nick Shore because he is a centre, would be cheap, is 25, could be a hidden gem (Athletic article), is really good at defence and is just plain better than Hathaway, Lazar, Brouwer, Stajan, etc. I see him as an extra forward that could play capable minutes if there is an injury.

-Resign Tkachuk because circumstances have currently conspired to keep his point totals lower than they should be. Try not to wait until after next season when he scores over 60 points. The Tkachuk camp may want to wait but I think resigning Tkachuk should happen ASAP.

-Address the backup goalie position. Mike Smith has been injured and missed time each of the last 5 seasons and is now 36. It seems inevitable that the backups will have to carry the mail at some point. That said, I’m not sure how to address this issue because Kari Lehtonen is probably the best UFA. He has a career .912 save percentage and has played 60+ games in the past while posting .919, .912 and .914 save percentages. In his best season, he played 59 and had a .922 save percentage. However, more recently he has had 3/4 years as a sub .910 save % goalie. Last season he had a .912 in 37 games played. This would mean he would come cheap but also that good goaltending would not be guaranteed. Another option would be trading Stone for a goalie but what kind of goalie would you get back? Finally, you could trust Rittich and/or Gillies. This feels risky but if it worked, it would be awesome. Rittich had a .904 last season and Gillies had a .896.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #1144
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
-Sign the RFAs including Hanifin and Lindholm. I would want Hanifin and Lindholm signed to 6 plus year deals. This will only be possible if Stone is traded (or Brouwer is bought out)
Why? 13M in cap space, need to sign Jankowski, Kulak (or other depth defenseman) and a backup goalie. How much do you think these guys are getting if the only possible way to sign them is moving Stone?

I'm not against moving Stone, just that doesn't appear to be a reason to do so.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #1145
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Why? 13M in cap space, need to sign Jankowski, Kulak (or other depth defenseman) and a backup goalie. How much do you think these guys are getting if the only possible way to sign them is moving Stone?

I'm not against moving Stone, just that doesn't appear to be a reason to do so.
First, Stone is a replacement level defenceman who is paid $3.5M. I move that contract if possible even if I don't absolutely need the cap space simply because $2.7M of cap space this year and next would be more valuable than Stone himself.

Second, I think cap space would be nice because of the current roster.

Forwards - 48.78

Gaudreau (6.75) - Monahan (6.375) - Lindholm (6*5.5)
Tkachuk (0.925) - Backlund (5.35) - Neal (5.75)
Bennett (1.95) - Ryan (3.125) - Frolik (4.3)
Mangiapane (0.705) - Jankowski (2*1.5) - Czarnik (1.25)
- Shore (1*0.8) - Brouwer (4.5)
*Foo and Lazar to the AHL

Defence - 23.312

Giordano (6.75) - Brodie (4.65)
Hanifin (6*5.5) - Hamonic (3.857)
Kulak (1) - Andersson (0.755)
- Prout (0.800)

Goalies - 5.066

Smith (4.25)
Rittich (0.816)

Cap hit from roster - 77.158
Buyouts - 0.904
Tkachuk's max potential performance bonuses - 0.850
Total cap hit - 78.912
Cap space - 0.588

Third, I don't want the coaching staff to be tempted to keep Andersson from playing.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:42 AM   #1146
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
First, Stone is a replacement level defenceman who is paid $3.5M. I move that contract if possible even if I don't absolutely need the cap space simply because $2.7M of cap space this year and next would be more valuable than Stone himself...
Please explain why cap space is more valuable over the course of this season than Stone himself. I tend to think that having the added depth on the roster that Stone provides is considerably more valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #1147
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd vote we buyout Brouwer before trading stone if we need the cap space ONLY to sign our RFA's long term.

However if we need more $ to sign Lindhom/Hanifin/Janko I'm not against trading stone for some assets (picks/prospects) in return if it allows 1 of Andersson or Valimaki to make the big club out of camp.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #1148
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Please explain why cap space is more valuable over the course of this season than Stone himself. I tend to think that having the added depth on the roster that Stone provides is considerably more valuable.
I want Hanifin and Lindholm signed long term because long term contracts often end up being value contracts as the salary cap increases whereas bridge deals can lead to massive 3rd contracts (I believe in Hanifin’s potential). To sign them to long term contracts, you must free up cap space and I’d rather buy out Brouwer next offseason.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #1149
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don’t think Stone is going anywhere. He was signed with the team knowing exactly who he was, and he performed more or less to expectations last year. He only moves if a prospect D surprises (arguably, would want two of them to step up because injuries happen), because he’s one year into his contract and has played as advertised.

The price tag is no doubt high, but a capable veteran on the bottom pairing to help introduce new NHLers is valuable. I don’t think you save more than 1mil before compromising on something - and I don’t know if that 1 mil is worth the risk of losing defensive depth. Especially the same summer that we lose Hamilton for a less established player.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:01 AM   #1150
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Stone played a bit on the left side last year with Hamonic when injuries started to pile up. I'd love to see a Stone-Andersson pairing.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #1151
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm (Second puck carrier and playmaker to take pressure of Gaudreau)

Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal (Pure finisher to finish chances created by Tkachuk and Backlund - finishing was an issue for this line last year)

Bennett-Ryan-Frolik (Ryan and Frolik both have great hockey sense and are paired with more of a gritty Bennett)

Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik (Lots of skill and finishing ability to feast on other teams 4th lines)
Love the look of this line up, but I would swap Czarnik with Frolik. Czarnik can provide a bit of an offensive boost for Bennett and Ryan. Frolik can dictate play on the fourth line with the kids. I'm not crazy on the idea of having 2 rookies and sophomore play together.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #1152
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on everybody's line combinations, I can see Brouwer asking for a trade if Peters has similar ideas that the fans have.

I can also see Peters giving Brouwer a chance to prove the last two years were not normal. I hope that leash is short the chance goes away quickly if Brouwer winds up proving that the downward trend remains.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:21 PM   #1153
prizefighterinferno
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Very interested to see what shakes down with the defensive pairs. Tre, Conroy et al have been pretty up front about expecting Valimaki to make a strong push for the lineup...but have said similar things about Andersson as well. Andersson appears to be closer to making it, given that he had a dominating year on both sides of the puck in the A and acquitted himself well defensively in his call-up.

I can't see a scenario where Stone is still on the team where both players make it, but personally, I would love to see the Flames take a similar approach to last year's Bruin's team on the backend.

Giordano-Brodie
Valimaki-Hamonic
Hanifin-Andersson
One of Kulak/Stone

Never going to happen though. Regardless, looking forward to training camp.

Forwards:
Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm (The Gaudreau-Monahan duo's biggest weakness is that for all their offense, they give up a fair amount defensively - Lindholm will presumably help with shot suppression on this line while being skilled/smart enough to compliment the other two offensively. Also, I like having the right shot forward on the rush chances Gaudreau/Monahan are so good at creating.)

Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal (I imagine this would be one of the most frustrating lines to play against in the league. Clear PVP option. Tons of D-Baggery and will draw penalties like few other lines in the league. Ideally, you want your shut-down line to also be able to create significant offense, as they are going to see a ton of ice time regardless going up against the other team's top players. Backlund/Tkachuk control ~60% of shots and chances, but Neal adds significantly improved finishing ability compared to Frolik. Backlund is an excellent passer, and Tkachuk's goal scoring really took off after the New Year last season.)

Bennett-Ryan-Frolik (Energy line - speed and relentless forechecking. Might not score as much as some would like, but won't give up much defensively either and will ideally set the table for other lines by controlling play in the offensive zone.)

Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik (Skilled fourth line that all theoretically have the talent to move up in the lineup if they are going and someone playing higher up is struggling/injured).

Hathaway 13th forward.
Brouwer gone. Lazar TBD.
prizefighterinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prizefighterinferno For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #1154
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, I don't see Hathaway returning to the Flames this season. At 26 he is more or less a known commodity. 13 points in 59 games is his career high. The role of "energy guy" is easily replaced. I don't see him beating out players for a roster spot.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 12:43 PM   #1155
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I feel like Lindholm has to be tried at 2C. If we snagged an U24 RHS 2-way centerman who's great on faceoffs and can put up 50+ points, then we absolutely robbed Carolina.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #1156
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Honestly, I don't see Hathaway returning to the Flames this season. At 26 he is more or less a known commodity. 13 points in 59 games is his career high. The role of "energy guy" is easily replaced. I don't see him beating out players for a roster spot.
If it's a choice between him and Lazar at 13th man, I probably take Lazar. I honestly think he would have scored as much as Hathaway playing on the third line all last year. Lazar had 6 more games but all on the fourth line IIRC, with a lot less ice time. Hathaway had only 1 more point playing with way better guys.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:30 PM   #1157
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is how I see it:

Gaurdreau-Monahan-Neal

World class playmaker, high end shooters, don't complicate it.

Tkachuk-Backlund-Czarnik/Lindholm

Until otherwise proven, Backlund is the second best centermen on this team so he plays with Tkachuk, there is also some proven chemistry. This pair has never had a shooter or high skill guy flanking them, that's Czarnik. Also, Czarnik can also play centre and take faceoffs. When the Flames have the lead, you can move Lindholm in place of Czarnik for more defensive responsibility. Both Lindholm and Czarnik are right shot guys and centremen who can take right side faceoffs when needed or when Backlund gets waived out.

Bennett-Jankowski-Lindholm/Czarnik

Bennett and Jankowski's development is key to the Flames success. They had some chemistry and they really should click. Bennett is more a playmaker, Jankowski is more a shooter. Lindholm is a great winger for themm as he's responsible defensively but also has good skill. Again, the faceoff advantage is retained as Jankowski is a left shot centremen and Lindholm/Czarnik are right shots.

Frolik-Ryan-Brouwer/Hathaway/Lazar

Frolik is a left shot, so play him on the left wing. To have a Ryan/Frolik pair on your "fourth line" is pretty good depth. They should be able to play against most lines and out possess most 3rd ad 4th lines. Flames will need some physical presence and both Brouwer and Hathaway can provide that. They will have to fight it out and show who wants it more. Brouwer will obviously get the longer rope so Hathaway will really have to be a lot better than Brouwer. Lazar is a little different than those two so will likely stay and will draw in against faster teams or when truculence is not needed.

I don't think they will keep two extra forwards as I think they will keep two extra defensemen in Andersson and Prout. So Hathaway will probably have to clear waivers.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:28 AM   #1158
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think after thinking about it for a while, we've got to split up Neal and Monahan because they are both the best shooters on the team.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm --> Lindholm gets an opportunity to crack 50, maybe 60 points with Gaudreau and Monahan. I am confident that he will be a better player than Chiasson, Ferland, Brouwer, and even Hudler. Can even take draws for Monahan and can play center when Monahan gets injured.

Tkachuk - Backlund - Neal --> Tkachuk carried the 3M line last season and is going to be the driver for this line too. All 3 of these guys know how to chirp and get in everyone's faces. Tkachuk and Backlund are both decent shooters, but even better playmakers who can find Neal open for a good shot. Keeping Neal on the 2nd line and Lindholm on the 1st line balances out the top 6 more in my eyes because I feel like Neal is the better player offensively and Lindholm defensively. Since Tkachuk and Backlund can hold their own.

Bennett - Jankowski - Czarnik --> Bennett and Jankowski do not play well with Hathaway, so having someone who has the potential to complete that line with some scoring ability is only going to help Bennett and Jankowski with their point totals. I know point totals are not everything, but they certainly make a difference on a player when they feel like they are contributing to the team with goals and assists. I feel like Czarnik could be the perfect partner for Bennett and Jankowski because he doesn't have the size like them, but he looks to have better offensive ability than the both of them. If this line comes to be true, it could potentially be the most dangerous bottom 6 line in the league if they get hot and find chemistry within one another.

Frolik - Ryan - Brouwer --> I know that we all like to hate on Brouwer, but maybe we just haven't found the right teammates for him. He can play 4th line minutes with Frolik and Ryan who are also really good 2-way players. These guys can a defensive role while Ryan takes the defensive draws. Additionally, Frolik and Ryan could potentially develop some chemistry playing on this line and also on the PK together. If Brouwer plays poorly, slot in Lazar or Hathaway.

Regarding the Top 6
Keeping Neal on the 2nd line and Lindholm on the 1st line balances out the top 6 more in my eyes because I feel like Neal is the better player offensively and Lindholm defensively. Since Tkachuk and Backlund can hold their own defensively, we can afford to put the "1 dimensional player" with those two and have the more defensively-responsible player in Lindholm with Gaudreau and Monahan.

Bottom 6

Both of the bottom 6 lines look to be a 3A and 3B line. One is young but has tons of potential to become a 2B line if they turn out to be a solid line together. If not, they can easily be bumped down to the 4th line while the Frolik - Ryan - Brouwer line get more ice time than them. I don't believe that to happen, but at least we have depth to make these kinds of decisions.

For once, I feel pretty good about the direction of this team with forwards. We've added so much depth on the right side and also right handed shots who can also play center (Lindholm, Ryan).

Last edited by ForeverFlameFan; 07-06-2018 at 09:38 AM.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:40 AM   #1159
Angelino
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How about trying this? Or too radical?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Tkachuk - Lindholm - Czarnik
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik

4th line can be on a rotation basis

Angelino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Angelino For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 05:12 AM   #1160
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Additions at the deadline.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote