Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #1041
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is shaping up as the no excuses season.

Which now makes me wonder if they’ll look at a veteran backup goalie.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #1042
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Is Steve Mason a guy the Flames could look at to shore up the goaltending? He should come cheap.
He's no better than Rittich.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:34 PM   #1043
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As of now, my lineup looks like this to start the season:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Lindholm
Lazar - Ryan - Brouwer
Hathaway - Czarnik (Extras)

Giordano - Brodie
Hamonic - Hanifin
Stone - Andersson
Kulak

Smith
Rittich

------------
I think by December we'll see Lindholm moved to line 2, and Frolik down to the third line, but to start with, I don't think we should break up the 3M line.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #1044
SanFranFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am thinking something quite different. Keep people at their natural positions as much as possible and balance through lineup.

These may not be popular, but my proposed Flames lines:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Czarnik

If you get one of these guys that dominated the AHL offensively and you think they'd break out here, you have you give them a legit chance with Top 6 players. This is a big gamble and Czarnik might not be any good, but this is how you find another W Karlsson/Marchessault. Give him 10 games of 17 mins a game and see how it goes. His shooting should mesh well with Gaudreau's playmaking.

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Neal

Two playmakers with a shooter. Tre said he wanted to try Tkachuk with Neal. Lindholm can dominate the faceoff circle. Also a very defensively responsible line.

Bennett - Backlund - Frolik

Keep the Bennett/Frolik magic alive to carry Bennett. He needs it. With their shooting percetange rebound, this should be a shut down line that can also score with regularity.

Mangiapane - Jankowski - Ryan

Possibly switch Ryan and Janko depending on their long term Janko projection. Ryan takes most of faceoffs anyway. 4th line that can actually score. Like Czarnik, give Mangiapane an extended shot. He dominated AHL and deserves to show he can do it.
SanFranFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:27 PM   #1045
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranFlamesFan View Post
I am thinking something quite different. Keep people at their natural positions as much as possible and balance through lineup.

If you get one of these guys that dominated the AHL offensively and you think they'd break out here, you have you give them a legit chance with Top 6 players. This is a big gamble and Czarnik might not be any good, but this is how you find another W Karlsson/Marchessault. Give him 10 games of 17 mins a game and see how it goes. His shooting should mesh well with Gaudreau's playmaking.

Two playmakers with a shooter. Tre said he wanted to try Tkachuk with Neal. Lindholm can dominate the faceoff circle. Also a very defensively responsible line.

Keep the Bennett/Frolik magic alive to carry Bennett. He needs it. With their shooting percetange rebound, this should be a shut down line that can also score with regularity.

Possibly switch Ryan and Janko depending on their long term Janko projection. Ryan takes most of faceoffs anyway. 4th line that can actually score. Like Czarnik, give Mangiapane an extended shot. He dominated AHL and deserves to show he can do it.

Love it.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 06:30 PM   #1046
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think you need to put Neal on Gaudreau’s line.

Every time Johnny takes a chop to the hands - you can expect a spear to the groin to go the other way.

Neal is just the deterrent to keep the other team honest. And this from a guy who’s typically against the cheap stuff.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:51 PM   #1047
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I like this because:
-I think these are the 12 best forwards the team has.
-I like that you have kept three familiar pairs of players together: Gaudreau and Monahan, Backlund and Frolik, Mangiapane and Jamkowski. This will help chemistry and the team get off to a good start.
-I like you having Lindholm at centre because he has said he prefers that.
-I like Tkachuk and Neal on one line. That line will be mean.
-I like putting Bennett, who has struggled with Backlund and Frolik. Backlund and Frolik both had very low shooting percentages and I think ppl are down on them as a result, but I think they are both still great two-way players. I think Frolik is very underrated, especially with respect to his defensive game.
-I like Ryan with Jankowski and Mangiapane. It’s good to have a strong two-way player to “babysit” them.
-Lastly, I like that you acknowledge Czarnik, whose AHL production was similar to Mangiapane’s last year, may not be ready for the top line. However, if it worked, wow!

Last edited by Nelson; 07-02-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 06:59 PM   #1048
goldenbear85
Farm Team Player

Exp:

My thoughts would be:

Bennett-Monahan-Gaudreau
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Neal
Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik
Lazar-Ryan-Brouwer/Czarnik

I would prefer to see Foo/Mangiapane start the season in minors where they get 20 mins a night.

Gio-Brodie
Andersson-Hamonic
Kulak-Hanifin
Stone

Smith
goldenbear85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:01 PM   #1049
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Because I like Pts/60 5v5 as a way to look at points here is a breakdown of the new Flames forwards from natural stat trick:

From last year among forwards with more than 300min:
1st line forward: >1.91 Pts/60
2nd line forward: >1.61 Pts/60
3rd line forward: >1.29 Pts/60
4th line forward: >0.94 Pts/60

New Flames look (all numbers from last year)

Gaudreau - 2.61
Monahan - 2.32
Neal - 1.75
Tkachuk - 1.69
Ryan - 1.59
Backlund - 1.47 (off year for him. Normally around 1.6)
Lindholm - 1.47
Jankowski - 1.41
Bennett - 1.41
Frolik - 1.26 (off year for him. Normally around 1.5 w/ Backlund)
Brouwer - 1.13
Lazar - 1.09

I really like the depth the Flames have added. It looks like we are a little thin at the top end but really deep on the 3rd line. This was not the case last year (Hathaway was a 1.18). The other good news a lot of that 3rd line depth is young and has a very good chance of improving.
Drunk Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drunk Uncle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 07:04 PM   #1050
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at the Flames roster right now, it's clear that a couple players need to go and not because the players are bad but because there's no room. Brouwer has to be the first candidate for a trade but I don't don't know who would take him or what it would cost, moving him would be a huge win. Frolik is another guy who I could see being traded and not because he's bad or anything but I just think there are too many players and not enough spots...keeping him wouldn't be bad but I wouldn't be too sad to see him go. Lazar has been a confusing story, he wasn't what we thought he'd be but he's been an ok fourth line guy...that being said, would one of the prospects be a better fit? Hathaway is an RFA that I think doesn't belong on the Flames but I guess he could be a fit on the Heat. Rittich just doesn't give me a lot of confidence for some reason, if any combination of these guys could be traded I think it would be great. I think there's always a couple goalies who are on the verge of becoming a starter and picking up one of those guys would be HUGE IMO. I don't know if the preds would ever consider moving Saros but if they wanted to make a deal, I would be all over it. Korpisalo, Suban and I'm sure there are others out there too.

There are a lot of options for management for making trades and still some good players out there but making lines up is going to be stressful and fun, I just hope they find what works early.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #1051
SanFranFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
And if Czarnik on top line didn't work out, I think I'd rotate it like so:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Ryan - Neal
Mangiapane - Jankowski - Czarnik

For largely the same reasons. Balance, and comfortable pairs. Have guy on top line to take faceoff on strong side every time, and very strong faceoff presence on 2nd line too. 4th line is a bit inexperienced but at least guys with potential skill instead of failed projects.
SanFranFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #1052
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is one combo that could be solid:

1. Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
2. Tkachuk - Lindholm - Czarnik
3. Bennett - Backlund - Ryan
4. M Frolik - Jankowski - Foo

Loaded first line, all could score 30 if healthy.
Sprinkle Czarnik and Bennett onto the next two lines with a pair of solid vets each.
Put the very responsible Frolik on the 4th line wing with our most inexperienced center and winger.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 09:39 PM   #1053
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Here is one combo that could be solid:

3. Bennett - Backlund - Ryan
4. M Frolik - Jankowski - Foo

Like it, that's a good lineup. But it's not happening, I don't think. They HAVE to play Brouwer to even have a small chance of moving him. Plus, it's not Frolik moving to 4th, it would be Bennett most likely, unless he smartens up and gets himself really ready for the season this summer.

Here's my guess:

3. Frolik - Backlund - Ryan
4. Bennett - Jankowski - Brouwer
Old 07-02-2018, 09:41 PM   #1054
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik
Czarnik - Ryan - Brouwer

Neal will give the top line another lethal shot, some grit, and pettiness.
Lindholm gives the 2nd line a bit more offense than Frolik, but adds the opportunity for him and Backlund to take faceoffs on their strong sides.
Frolik is a possession and forechecking demon that will help the hopefully improved kids in driving possession and some offense.
Not sure if Czarnik can play LW.
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #1055
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Im amazed by how deep this team is. If Bennett and Janko take a step forward, watch out...
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 09:43 PM   #1056
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's huge difference between trying to find someone to play on the top line and trying to figure out who should play on the top line. Well done Bradley.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:56 PM   #1057
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great job Brad, I like these forward and defense lineups now. Lots of possibilities, but in a good way. A lot of these posts make a lot of sense.

I'm still pretty concerned about the goaltending. But at this point, that's really my only concern left. If something goes wrong, maybe this could be addressed during the season
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:57 PM   #1058
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
And if Czarnik on top line didn't work out, I think I'd rotate it like so:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Ryan - Neal
Mangiapane - Jankowski - Czarnik

For largely the same reasons. Balance, and comfortable pairs. Have guy on top line to take faceoff on strong side every time, and very strong faceoff presence on 2nd line too. 4th line is a bit inexperienced but at least guys with potential skill instead of failed projects.
I like your first lineup a lot, but here I’d switch Jankowski and Ryan. I’m a pretty big believer in The Big Jankowski.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:06 PM   #1059
FlamesNation23
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Man i love the number of potential lineup combinations. This is not something i have been used to as a flames fan. Personally I would like to see this:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm
Bennett-Janko-Czarnik
Magiapane-Ryan-Frolik

All four lines can score here and none of the lines seem like they would be a defensive liability. This roster has the perfect combination of speed, two-way play, truculence, and depth. Man i am so damn excited
FlamesNation23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:25 AM   #1060
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gaudreau-Monny-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Bennett-Neal
Jankowski-Backs-Frolik
Czarnik-Ryan-Lazar

Gio-Brodie
Han-Ham
Kulak-Andersson

Smith
Rittich

Really like this roster.

I could also see lindholm sliding into 2c, bennett to 2RW and Neal to 1RW.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote