Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #241
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
2018-2019 Calgary Flames (Just a very educated guess)

Gaudreau - Tavares - Bennett
Tkachuk - Monahan - Ferland
Frolik - Backlund - B. Tkachuk
Shore - Jankowski - Hathaway

Giordano - Hamilton
Andersson - Hamonic
Kylington - Stone

Smith
Gilles

Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2018, 02:27 PM   #242
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Gaudreau - Tavares - Bennett
Tkachuk - Monahan - Ferland
Frolik - Backlund - B. Tkachuk
Shore - Jankowski - Hathaway

Giordano - Hamilton
Andersson - Hamonic
Kylington - Stone

Smith
Gilles

So is it Brodie to the Habs, Sens, or Yotes for the 3rd, 4th, or 5th pick?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #243
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Zibanejad + 9th (if Brady falls) for Hamilton would be my dream
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:40 PM   #244
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Care to elaborate?
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #245
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Bennett
Frolik - Jankowski - Versteeg
Lazar - Shore - Brouwer

The bottom six is certainly a concern and the lineup above assumes the Flames re-sign Versteeg either because it's the best value option or they simply aren't interested in some of the other players available. Versteeg has also had some success with this team on the PP and appears to be liked by his teammates.

You bump Bennett up because it'll be his last year of his contract and you don't want any questions around whether you put him in the best position to succeed given he is the team's highest draft pick. If he continues to disappoint playing with Tkachuk and Backlund, you say goodbye at the end of the year.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #246
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Lazar - Shore - Brouwer

The bottom six is certainly a concern and the lineup above assumes the Flames re-sign Versteeg either because it's the best value option or they simply aren't interested in some of the other players available. Versteeg has also had some success with this team on the PP and appears to be liked by his teammates.

You bump Bennett up because it'll be his last year of his contract and you don't want any questions around whether you put him in the best position to succeed given he is the team's highest draft pick. If he continues to disappoint playing with Tkachuk and Backlund, you say goodbye at the end of the year.
This would leave the Flames with 12 million in cap space.
The question isn't "if" they sign a major UFA. It's "who".
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #247
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Lazar - Shore - Brouwer

This seems a little harsh. More like you accept reality that you drafted a bottom 6 forward at #4. Regardless of how this season goes, you re-sign Bennett at reasonable value or trade him for what his value actually is. But under no circumstances is this a club that can just let young players walk away because you thought their potential was higher.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #248
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Care to elaborate?
haha should have been green text. Didn't think anyone would take my "educated guess" seriously.

This is just my dream.
goflamesgo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:48 PM   #249
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett
Tkachuk - Jankowski - Foo/Mangiapane
Ferland - Backlund - Frolik
Brouwer/Dube - Shore - Lazar

Giordano - Hamilton
Anderson - Brodie
Kulak/Kylington - Hamonic
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:27 PM   #250
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett
Tkachuk - Jankowski - Foo/Mangiapane
Brouwer/Dube - Shore - Lazar

Giordano - Hamilton
Anderson - Brodie
Kulak/Kylington - Hamonic
So the Flames bring in zero new players to the organization over the summer?
Old 05-22-2018, 04:35 PM   #251
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
So the Flames bring in zero new players to the organization over the summer?
No new and shiny toy. Just more homegrown guys get more time such as Dube, Mangiapane, Foo, Andersson, and Kylington.

New coaching staff and a tweak to the current roster should allow us to be better. It's not like we are Oilers/Canucks/Sabres/Coyotes bad that we need a huge adjustment.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #252
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
No new and shiny toy. Just more homegrown guys get more time such as Dube, Mangiapane, Foo, Andersson, and Kylington.

New coaching staff and a tweak to the current roster should allow us to be better. It's not like we are Oilers/Canucks/Sabres/Coyotes bad that we need a huge adjustment.
Fair enough. I am not convinced replacing Gulutzan with “mean Gully” is going to change that much myself.

I feel the lack of depth in the organization was painfully clear last season. A year of maturing should help that and I am hopeful guys like Foo, Mangiapane, Dube, and Kylington are ready. The only prospect I feel extremely comfortable plugging in the lineup next year is Andersson. I also feel that this past season was such a failure that would be potential career suicide for Treliving to double down on his roster and put all the blame on the coach (which he already stated was not the entire problem last year.)

It would be nice to see some of those prospects force managements hand and they do make the team.

Last edited by Vinny01; 05-22-2018 at 04:56 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #253
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think there is a shortage of talent in the system. What I think there is a shortage of is balls in giving young players a big opportunity. We may already have the players we need, maybe they are just playing with the wrong guys? Maybe Tkachuk should be playing with Jankowski and Bennett, providing the secondary scoring and allowing Backlund/Frolik to do what they are supposedly so good at, shutting down the opposition? Maybe Bennett is that third line center we need, freeing up Jankowski to play up the lineup, maybe on the wing with Gaudreau and Monahan? There's potential with Foo, Mangiapane, Dube, Klimchuk that needs to be explored. I think the talent is there, now we just need someone who has the guts to play the talent, and stick with it. If there was one add I would like to make, it is a true sniper on the right side (either side would be fine). I'm not sure we have one of those in the system.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #254
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I don't think there is a shortage of talent in the system. What I think there is a shortage of is balls in giving young players a big opportunity. We may already have the players we need, maybe they are just playing with the wrong guys? Maybe Tkachuk should be playing with Jankowski and Bennett, providing the secondary scoring and allowing Backlund/Frolik to do what they are supposedly so good at, shutting down the opposition? Maybe Bennett is that third line center we need, freeing up Jankowski to play up the lineup, maybe on the wing with Gaudreau and Monahan? There's potential with Foo, Mangiapane, Dube, Klimchuk that needs to be explored. I think the talent is there, now we just need someone who has the guts to play the talent, and stick with it. If there was one add I would like to make, it is a true sniper on the right side (either side would be fine). I'm not sure we have one of those in the system.
I could see Matthew Phillips developing into a Cam Atkinson type.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:08 PM   #255
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's my guess....

Brodie + klimchuk/Poirier for galchenyuk
Surprise signing of a dman (jack johnson?)
Surprise signing/trading of a goalie who immediately steps into a 1b role
Brouwer bought out

Gaudreau - Monahan - Galchenyuk
Ferland - Jankowski - Frolik
Lazar - Shore - Foo

Giordano - Hamilton
Anderson - Hamonic
Johnson - Stone
Kulak

Smith
1b

Not making the playoffs is going to be mandated as completely unacceptable, flames will de-risk that heavily by trying to fill obvious holes.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:12 PM   #256
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I hope you're right. It would sure make things a lot easier for this franchise going forward.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:18 PM   #257
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I feel like the biggest failure of this year was watching our roster sink and still having no clue what you have in the pipes.

Could Andersson make the team better right now? And in what role? Could the couple games we got out of Foo have translated into better results if given the chance? Is there any good reason why the top defenseman goal scorer wasn't on the first pp unit for most of the season? What is kylington? Is he an nhl capable prospect or a waste of time?
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #258
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - (A)______
Tkachuk - (B)______ - (C)______
M Ferland - Backlund - Frolik

Ideally this is how I'd like to see the top 9 constructed. A, B, C can be acquired by trade, UFA signing or filled from within. At this point I'm not very confident that any of those spots can be adequately filled from within though, but you never know as young players can surprise.

A - Bennett, Foo, Mangiapane, Dube. Real long shots would be Phillips or Gawdin. You could always put Ferland there again as he performed just fine, but I'd love to see a young right hand shot in that spot. Someone like Josh Anderson would be perfect.

B - Jankowski, Bennett or a UFA signing or trade. I don't know if Janko has the chops for that role yet, but maybe he could manage if you flank him with another solid winger to go along with Tkachuk. Like a James Neal or David Perron for instance. Ideally Janko takes that spot and runs away with it next year, but that's a huge gamble. Or an even longer shot is Bennett if Peters decides to give him another go at center. Like I said, to have a young guy step up and perform there would be huge, but for the UFA route it's Tavares or bust, which we all know is also very unlikely. As for trades, ROR and Jordan Staal have been rumored to be potentially available, I would also be good with centers like Lindholm, Zibanejad and Duchene at a fair price.

C - If a young C like Janko is used as the 2C, then as mentioned earlier, I'd like to see a guy like Neal or Perron brought in for the 2nd line right wing spot. A proven top 6 NHL winger. If you end up with a homerun like Tavares, then I'm pretty sure someone like Foo or Mangiapane could fill that spot just fine without hurting you. I'd even say the same if a lesser C than Tavares was brought in, as mentioned above.

Fill out the 4th line with the leftover pieces after they battle it out in camp.

Some examples:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Josh Anderson
Tkachuk - Jankowski - James Neal

Gaudreau - Monahan - Connor Brown
Tkachuk - Tavares - Spencer Foo

Gaudreau - Monahan - David Perron
Tkachuk - Zibanejad - Sam Bennett

Gaudreau - Monahan - Jakub Silfverberg
Tkachuk - R. O'Reilly - Andrew Mangiapane
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #259
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Ideally this is how I'd like to see the top 9 constructed. A, B, C can be acquired by trade, UFA signing or filled from within. At this point I'm not very confident that any of those spots can be adequately filled from within though, but you never know as young players can surprise.

A - Bennett, Foo, Mangiapane, Dube. Real long shots would be Phillips or Gawdin. You could always put Ferland there again as he performed just fine, but I'd love to see a young right hand shot in that spot. Someone like Josh Anderson would be perfect.

B - Jankowski, Bennett or a UFA signing or trade. I don't know if Janko has the chops for that role yet, but maybe he could manage if you flank him with another solid winger to go along with Tkachuk. Like a James Neal or David Perron for instance. Ideally Janko takes that spot and runs away with it next year, but that's a huge gamble. Or an even longer shot is Bennett if Peters decides to give him another go at center. Like I said, to have a young guy step up and perform there would be huge, but for the UFA route it's Tavares or bust, which we all know is also very unlikely. As for trades, ROR and Jordan Staal have been rumored to be potentially available, I would also be good with centers like Lindholm, Zibanejad and Duchene at a fair price.

C - If a young C like Janko is used as the 2C, then as mentioned earlier, I'd like to see a guy like Neal or Perron brought in for the 2nd line right wing spot. A proven top 6 NHL winger. If you end up with a homerun like Tavares, then I'm pretty sure someone like Foo or Mangiapane could fill that spot just fine without hurting you. I'd even say the same if a lesser C than Tavares was brought in, as mentioned above.

Fill out the 4th line with the leftover pieces after they battle it out in camp.

Some examples:

Not trying to pick on you, but those lineups are like Buzz's girlfriend; WOOF! They aren't woof because I think you're bad at putting lineups together, they are woof because it's tough to turn chicken #### into chicken salad. Valiant effort, but still a black and white mess.

Really illustrates how many forward positions are needing to be filled by quality NHLers.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #260
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Some examples:

I would prefer Bennett penciled in where you have Ferland. Personally I think the Flames should try and sell high on Ferland and keep Bennett