Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2019, 08:53 AM   #641
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Rumor I heard he was actually fired, but it was made to look like he quit.

He got thrown out of couple games, including throwing a water bottle at an SJHL official. Not liked at all, including his own players. Major ass on the bench. Some shady stuff going around the team. Boys on the team have noticed this.
Sounds like someone under a lot of stress.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #642
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

So obviously no details will come out during a trial now. Do the police typically release a cause or details now in a case where it does not go to court. Unless there is a civil case (lawsuit) is it possible we will never know what happened?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:15 AM   #643
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't the cause that he blew through the stop sign? He wasn't drunk or anything since he would have been charged, so I assume it was just careless or distracted and missed the sign.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:14 AM   #644
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right now we do not know anything other than the truck did not stop at the stop sign. We do not know why it did not stop. Or at least I do not recall any details being released by the RCMP, I stand to be corrected on that however.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #645
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Right now we do not know anything other than the truck did not stop at the stop sign. We do not know why it did not stop. Or at least I do not recall any details being released by the RCMP, I stand to be corrected on that however.
Do we know it didn't stop? Or did it stop and proceed when it shouldn't have? I don't recall every seeing that it did not stop.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:43 AM   #646
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would imagine that without trial a report will still be released after his Jan 28 sentencing. There's so much public attention and concern around this case that I don't think it stays private
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #647
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so this report on the intersection has been released: https://www.saskatchewan.ca/governme...section-review

I'd assume that the RCMP still have a report on the accident itself.

It is going to be tough to hear all of the impact statements. I can't even imagine how any person could determine the proper punishment for the driver (outside of never being allowed to drive again).
Old 01-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #648
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's really gut wrenching all around. I have a level of respect for the driver for not taking a plea deal, and wanting to plead guilty to avoid a trial for all the families sakes. IMO, it really does seem like he's trying to do what little he can to make this easier and less painful.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1082695918221180930
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #649
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
So obviously no details will come out during a trial now. Do the police typically release a cause or details now in a case where it does not go to court. Unless there is a civil case (lawsuit) is it possible we will never know what happened?
There should be an agreed statement of facts that will give us the the story.

This isn't the same as a settlement in a civil trial.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #650
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

All I know is that I would not want to be the sentencing judge.
ToraToraTora is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToraToraTora For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #651
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToraToraTora View Post
All I know is that I would not want to be the sentencing judge.
It has been on talk radio all day - and such a wide variety of opinions and thoughts on sentencing + the actual why the truck never stopped at the sign.

One caller made quite the appeal and impression. If the driver simply made a mistake and blew through the stop sign, unimpeded and not distracted, an actual driving error, how do you possibly make a sentence of 16 mostly teenage deaths? Is the sentence the same for a driver blowing a stop sign in error for 1 death, 10 deaths, or 100 deaths?

Tie that to a report that the crossing is not 'ideal' combined with a variety of driving conditions and it becomes even a greater challenge.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spuzzum For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #652
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
It has been on talk radio all day - and such a wide variety of opinions and thoughts on sentencing + the actual why the truck never stopped at the sign.

One caller made quite the appeal and impression. If the driver simply made a mistake and blew through the stop sign, unimpeded and not distracted, an actual driving error, how do you possibly make a sentence of 16 mostly teenage deaths? Is the sentence the same for a driver blowing a stop sign in error for 1 death, 10 deaths, or 100 deaths?

Tie that to a report that the crossing is not 'ideal' combined with a variety of driving conditions and it becomes even a greater challenge.

Also is this driver, a professional driver, held to a higher standard than the general public.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #653
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are many more details in this article but not a formal cause. Although I think much can be inferred from the details.

The charges are different but let's compare this to the cyclist who was charged last week in intentionally running a red light with the result being a pedestrian fatality. Both resulted in fatalities but it appears one was a knowing violation of a traffic signal while the other was not seeing / acknowledging a stop sign. One resulted in a much more horrific result.

I suppose the charges themselves may be the main factor in determining the sentence but how do you differentiate between the two (sentence wise)?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ncos-1.4969739
Old 01-08-2019, 06:38 PM   #654
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Also is this driver, a professional driver, held to a higher standard than the general public.
Just because he had a professional drivers license doesn't mean he was a professional driver, there's a reason licensing is going back to government testing. No more $1000.00 class ones.

My guess, he wasn't used to shifting that truck with heavy weight and couldn't see the bus threw the tree line and said "screw it"
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:45 PM   #655
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
There are many more details in this article but not a formal cause. Although I think much can be inferred from the details.

The charges are different but let's compare this to the cyclist who was charged last week in intentionally running a red light with the result being a pedestrian fatality. Both resulted in fatalities but it appears one was a knowing violation of a traffic signal while the other was not seeing / acknowledging a stop sign. One resulted in a much more horrific result.

I suppose the charges themselves may be the main factor in determining the sentence but how do you differentiate between the two (sentence wise)?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ncos-1.4969739
The judge probably wont. Driver will probably be convicted on all counts. Yet all counts will be served concurrent. Meaning the driver may get 100 year as a sentence yet may only have to serve 4 years of a sentence. Parole after 1/3 of the sentence is served. 16 months in actual prison.

Will probably not be able to drive for a decade.

I know a guy who was driving drunk, driving at 280 kph, lost control and killed 4 people. He was sentenced to 4 years for each life he took, all sentences ran concurrent. He got parole after 1/6 of his sentence was served. 8 months. Laws have changed now, Today he would be eligible for parole after 16 months.

In the above example I am talking about a drunk driver, Driving at 280 kph. Killing 4 people not 16. I think this guy got off super easy. I can not see a harsher sentence for the accused here.

I by no means am saying what is right or wrong in this situation. I am just saying what I have witnessed to happen in the past.

Pleading guilty was probably a very wise move. Saves the courts so much money, Saves the families even more grief. Case like this could go on for years with many appeals.

Courts will be happy to make this case go away fast. Families wont get justice. No sentence could provide that to them. Pleading guilty is the only justice they will really ever get.

Understand, I am not looking for a debate here. I am also not saying what is right or wrong.

Just my observations and opinion.
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chubeyr1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #656
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The sentence will not be announced as 100 years either. The best comparable I can think of is the guy who killed five people on the south edge of the city with his cement truck. He was convicted of five counts of manslaughter, and was given 8 years. After pre-trial custody credit, it was 5 1/2.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #657
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubeyr1 View Post
Pleading guilty was probably a very wise move. Saves the courts so much money, Saves the families even more grief. Case like this could go on for years with many appeals.

Courts will be happy to make this case go away fast. Families wont get justice. No sentence could provide that to them. Pleading guilty is the only justice they will really ever get.
I didn’t want to write anything down about this either, but this is kind of how I feel as well. The driver isn’t a danger to public safety (never driving a truck again), and pleading guilty probably does help with some closure for a few. I’m assuming, if he’s like most people, the lesson has been learned and it’s never going away. Locking him up doesn’t really punish him any more than living with this will, but... you have to for some amount of time.

Just a terrible tragedy.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:19 PM   #658
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was an awful tragedy and nothing will ever take away the pain from the families. I have avoided even reading about this story because even as someone unaffected and far removed, it just rips my heart out.

The driver today did the only thing he could do to respect the families and victims. Looking at him, you can tell that he is completely numb. Obviously there has to be a punishment for this type of accident that was caused by negligence or reckless behaviour. I don't see this man as someone who is malicious or likely to ever again cause harm (although we don't know all the facts yet either).

I imagine the family statements will have a huge affect on the sentence. I can't help but feel for the guy despite the pain he caused. Not on the same level that I feel for the victims, but it's a tragedy on so many levels.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 01-08-2019 at 10:21 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #659
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terrible tragedy. But respect to the driver for owning up to his actions and sparing the families the pain of a trial.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 12:25 PM   #660
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

sentencing hearing starting today. more details on crash:

- bus was going between 96 & 107 kph
- semi going 86 to 96 kph
- semi blew the stop sign which was a large oversized sign (4 feet) along with numerous warning sings of stop ahead
- weather/sun were not factors
- cell phone use was not a factor
- bus hit the trailer right in front of wheels

if this was mentioned before i forget, but apparently tehre was one vehicle waiting at the sign sign to cross hiway 35 and anotehr right behind the bus. the stopped vehicle would have had a front row seat to that tragedy.

75 victim impact statements filed, 65 to be read in court

agreed upon facts are here: https://postmediathestarphoenix2.fil...reed-facts.pdf