Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #721
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I was under the impression from Shaw that Internet 300 (as in 300 Mbit service) required the XB6, as I swapped out my Hitron for the XB6 in order to take advantage of it. Before Internet 300 was released (and thus predating this speed double-up), Internet 150 could get away with the Hitron.

Wired to the modem or wired to the router, ie: the Apple Time Capsule?

I'd try going direct to the router, and then direct to the modem if you still see low speeds. If the results directly wired to the bridged port of the modem yield the same low speeds, you definitely have a case to tell Shaw to come fix your sh-t.
If you're bridged it won't matter. And if you're the hitron you can't bridge and unbridged yourself, unlike the xb6 which is just a software switch. I thought the 300 would require the xb6 as well, but my hitron will hit 300
Old 02-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #722
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Man, Shaw used to be pretty decent. Even if there were issues, customer service was pretty easy going and happy to help. Lately, it seems like whoever is at the top is slashing in all the wrong places and things are going to hell in a hand basket fast.

Customer service can pretend to be in PEI and Toronto all they want, I'm pretty sure customer service has been outsourced to India.
I did find it strange how they always introduce themselves with their location. Like it's a tryhard move
Old 02-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #723
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
If you're bridged it won't matter.
It will if the router is the problem, and not the modem or the connection to the provider, which is what we need to determine before we can reasonably yell at Shaw to fix it.

PS: Barnes, if you're going to test as I suggested, make sure you have Windows Firewall turned on. Directly connecting a PC to the WWW without an edge device is risky business (that's an understatement).
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #724
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you're bridged it won't matter. And if you're the hitron you can't bridge and unbridged yourself, unlike the xb6 which is just a software switch. I thought the 300 would require the xb6 as well, but my hitron will hit 300
I don't know a ton about networking stuff, but I was curious whether the Hitron working "OK" for internet 300 was metaphorically akin to delivering rocks in a passenger vehicle. It'll work, until the limitations are too much. IMO, the XB6 is akin to a pickup truck for the same work. You're unlikely to run into as many issues long term.

At least that's what it seemed to sound like when I spoke with techs and customer service prior to the free upgrade. I'll see what happens in the next little bit to see if the issues go away or are lessened.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #725
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It will if the router is the problem, and not the modem or the connection to the provider, which is what we need to determine before we can reasonably yell at Shaw to fix it.

PS: Barnes, if you're going to test as I suggested, make sure you have Windows Firewall turned on. Directly connecting a PC to the WWW without an edge device is risky business (that's an understatement).

For sure, thats fair. You can DMZ your hardwired device in the router and speed test it and realistically you should get the same throughput, if so your router isn't the issue. The easiest way to check that part is to connect to the speedtest.shaw.ca, that will pull the shortest line test to the max, and it always seems to work hardwired to the max speed. Just remember to remove the DMZ because that does put you outside the protection of the firewall.

Thats the pain in the ass about the hitron and not having a consumer accessible software switch for bridging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I don't know a ton about networking stuff, but I was curious whether the Hitron working "OK" for internet 300 was metaphorically akin to delivering rocks in a passenger vehicle. It'll work, until the limitations are too much. IMO, the XB6 is akin to a pickup truck for the same work. You're unlikely to run into as many issues long term.

At least that's what it seemed to sound like when I spoke with techs and customer service prior to the free upgrade. I'll see what happens in the next little bit to see if the issues go away or are lessened.

I think the only qualification was docsis 3.0 compatibility. Hitron themselves rate the modem for 960Mbps downstream capable, plenty of room. I know from my experience with both I found the XB6 to be overall more of a PIA and requiring fairly regular reboots, and an unreliable and lengthy reboot cycle.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #726
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I encourage all of you with the issues to hit up the shaw forums and post that you're also experiencing problems. I'm not sure if its gaining steam or not, but there has been more activity on my posts there, and it disproves shaw's account of it being an isolated issue that they haven't heard anything about.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:45 PM   #727
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I encourage all of you with the issues to hit up the shaw forums and post that you're also experiencing problems. I'm not sure if its gaining steam or not, but there has been more activity on my posts there, and it disproves shaw's account of it being an isolated issue that they haven't heard anything about.
I did quite a bit of digging today and there is a new incident number for a widespread traffic issue on the West side of the city. The person I spoke to said it is not specific to any one node, but rather an entire server section (I don't know how all of this works, specifically). He said that it looks like there are quite a few staff tagged on it and they recognize the severity and spread of the issue and are working to get it fixed. He referenced me INC0532825.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:57 PM   #728
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm in the NW and hit about 220-240 on my 300 service. Hitron modem, bridged. Just as an FYI.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:01 AM   #729
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was under the impression from Shaw that Internet 300 (as in 300 Mbit service) required the XB6, as I swapped out my Hitron for the XB6 in order to take advantage of it. Before Internet 300 was released (and thus predating this speed double-up), Internet 150 could get away with the Hitron.

Wired to the modem or wired to the router, ie: the Apple Time Capsule?

I'd try going direct to the router, and then direct to the modem if you still see low speeds. If the results directly wired to the bridged port of the modem yield the same low speeds, you definitely have a case to tell Shaw to come fix your sh-t.
I wired right to the modem. I haven’t tried wired to the router but figured there’s no point seeing that the modem is the same as wireless. I wanted to rule out some of the re-wiring, crimped cables and switch I put in. I also tried a few different cables.

I haven’t noticed any poor performance on any of my devices so I am not terribly concerned. We have 2x win laptops, 2x Mac one of which is a Plex media server, 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, PS4, Wii U, fire tv, chromecast, 2 HD Samsung TVs and they all stream content fine all wirelessly. That’s with having multiple echos, 2x ecobee, Ring Pro, Skybell, Wyze Cams connected as well. I guess I am lucky that I haven’t had any noticed performance issues but 80Mbps on a good day is nowhere near 300.

I’ll try posting on the Shaw forum as you guys have suggested since I have ruled out my novice level network job, old-ish Apple gear, and possible Zigbee interference from the Hue hub or SmartThings.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #730
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I did quite a bit of digging today and there is a new incident number for a widespread traffic issue on the West side of the city. The person I spoke to said it is not specific to any one node, but rather an entire server section (I don't know how all of this works, specifically). He said that it looks like there are quite a few staff tagged on it and they recognize the severity and spread of the issue and are working to get it fixed. He referenced me INC0532825.

Noticed late last night one of the posters in my Shaw forum thread had posted he heard on the inside that there was a backbone problem that they got fixed yesterday, and his was working again. I tried as soon as I got home, and everything worked. Was able to stream 4k movies, was able to watch TV. Same with today, so far so good. My VPN connected speedtests all hit triple digits now as well. I'll be paying attention throughout the day, but my initial claim back in January was correct that there was a shaw backend problem. Feels good to be vindicated. Now to get my month of fees back
Old 02-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #731
andy_521
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Noticed late last night one of the posters in my Shaw forum thread had posted he heard on the inside that there was a backbone problem that they got fixed yesterday, and his was working again. I tried as soon as I got home, and everything worked. Was able to stream 4k movies, was able to watch TV. Same with today, so far so good. My VPN connected speedtests all hit triple digits now as well. I'll be paying attention throughout the day, but my initial claim back in January was correct that there was a shaw backend problem. Feels good to be vindicated. Now to get my month of fees back
I hope you're right because it does seem way way better since last night (knock on wood), it was crawling for me this week.
andy_521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #732
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

My hardwired desktop is 12mbps and 5g new phone right beside the router is 26mbps.

It was like this well before 300 kicked in and hasn't changed after.

They have been no help. Shaw is the worst.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #733
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I knew not to get my hopes up. Everything is buffering now. Can't even watch a Netflix title without having to stop and restart it a few times.
Unreal
Old 02-21-2019, 01:30 PM   #734
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Would it be fair to assume by the lack of activity on this now that the issues everyone was having are no longer?
Old 02-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #735
gaffobohs
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Mine has definitely been better. Kodi streams are working perfect all evening, was still having issues with my IPTV bit in the last week's it's been much better. Usually getting around 250mb speeds using fast.com.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
gaffobohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #736
andy_521
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Would it be fair to assume by the lack of activity on this now that the issues everyone was having are no longer?
No issues for the past week for me, Twitch isn't buffering anymore and there hasn't been a disconnect in my online gaming on PS4 which were the two main issues I was having for a month or so. The speed tests are showing around 300mbps even in the evenings now, I hope it keeps up (knock on wood).
andy_521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:30 PM   #737
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm a little better. up to 72 Mbps down. Paying for 300
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:25 PM   #738
gaffobohs
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I'm a little better. up to 72 Mbps down. Paying for 300
Are you testing the 2.4 or 5g?

gaffobohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:59 AM   #739
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm doing quite decently on my side as well. I don't know how much of that is the Shaw backbone fix or the XB6 modem though. Maybe both?

I'm making out around 310-330 on Ookla and fast.com
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #740
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffobohs View Post
Are you testing the 2.4 or 5g?

plugged directly into router, and 5g. All of my devices (macbook, appletvs, ipad) are connected to 5G except my sonos speakers. Those are all at 2.4. I'm at 100Mbps today.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote