Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 09:33 PM   #10561
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Or they are just getting better. And Lindholm helped too. GG can’t be blamed for every failing from last year.
Every one of them except Gaudreau have more points after 59 games than they had all of last year (and Gaudreau is close).

This isn't just players naturally progressing, it's a quantum leap across the board. Last year, the team scored 216 goals. This year they are already at 217, with 23 games to go.

And Gio is doing it at 35.

Lindholm is good, but he didn't single-handedly cause every member of the team to suddenly become 30% better offensively.

Of course Gulutzan can't be blamed for everything. But the complaint that he stifled the offense is indisputable, and the evidence is available throughout the entire roster, including these guys.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:40 PM   #10562
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Well, Maloney hasn't watched the kings a couple of games in a row now has he.he's watching the caps.
For fun, I tried to look into recent scout reports from this month:

Feb 18: LA/WSH
Feb 17: ANA/WSH
Feb 11: WSH/LA
Feb 10: COL/BOS
Feb 9: CBJ/ VGS, LA/BOS
Feb 7: COL/WSH, CBJ/ARI (2)
Feb 5: CBJ/COL
Feb 3: MTL/EDM

ANA: 1
ARI: 1
BOS: 2
CBJ: 3
COL: 3

EDM: 1
LA: 3
MTL: 1
VGS: 1
WSH: 4
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #10563
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

clearly scouting our 4th round opponent
Old 02-18-2019, 09:51 PM   #10564
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Every one of them except Gaudreau have more points after 59 games than they had all of last year (and Gaudreau is close).

This isn't just players naturally progressing, it's a quantum leap across the board. Last year, the team scored 216 goals. This year they are already at 217, with 23 games to go.

Lindholm is good, but he didn't single-handedly cause every member of the team to suddenly become 30% better offensively.

Of course Gulutzan can't be blamed for everything. But the complaint that he stifled the offense is indisputable, and the evidence is available throughout the entire roster, including these guys.
I just can't say that Brodie is a top pairing defenceman under any situation like I can with Gio, GG or no GG.

I do think Lindholm can account for a lot of the increase in the play of Gaudreau and Monahan. He allows a better 200 foot game, he dogs the puck and creates turnovers better than anyone they've had. That, plus a natural progression by those guys into their respective primes, accounts for a great deal.

Peters is a much much better coach. But I credit players as well.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:04 PM   #10565
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
For fun, I tried to look into recent scout reports from this month:

Feb 18: LA/WSH
Feb 17: ANA/WSH
Feb 11: WSH/LA
Feb 10: COL/BOS
Feb 9: CBJ/ VGS, LA/BOS
Feb 7: COL/WSH, CBJ/ARI (2)
Feb 5: CBJ/COL
Feb 3: MTL/EDM

ANA: 1
ARI: 1
BOS: 2
CBJ: 3
COL: 3

EDM: 1
LA: 3
MTL: 1
VGS: 1
WSH: 4
Interesting, no Ottawa or NYR
Old 02-18-2019, 10:12 PM   #10566
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just a guess but Washington seems coincidental... All 4 of those games are against teams outside the playoffs who may be sellers. I can't see Washington wanting to move useful roster players right before the playoffs. Unless they're talking a superficial swap of disgruntleds like czarnik for burakovsky I guess.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:14 PM   #10567
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

I think the Lindholm addition alone was the single biggest missing piece to the FW group. It truly is remarkable how a player with the same coach for the last few seasons struggled and then walks into the right environment and blows it all out of the water. It's not Lindholm alone but sometimes you hit the jackpot in the chemistry department. I cannot say definitively that if they brought in some other player when trading Hamilton that the chemistry would be as explosive.

Honestly, I think Tree plucked all the right guys from that Canes squad.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2019, 10:17 PM   #10568
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I do think as is they're poised to take care of business in round 1 effectively, beyond that I'd have concerns.

I'd like to have that extra weapon up front for peters to mix and match with in situations when we need a goal in playoffs. The top line has been shut down by some of the better teams in the last few weeks that were playing with playoff intensity and while our depth puts up a nice fight against most, those teams tend to have that "1B" line that makes us pay. 3M chips in but they don't break many tightly contested games. But they could with more skill injected there.

With our goalie tandem were still going to find ourselves needing to outscore our often average tending. If the top line is contained against a top western team were likely hooped, and having swapping Lindholm and Tkachuk as your go to blender move helps a little but lindy is still working with the mediocre skill level of backlund and frolik.

One of the tier 2 forwards won't break the bank and would be worthwhile. This is the best season we've had in my lifetime, by a country mile. I don't want to see it squandered if we can't come up with an extra goal somewhere down the line.
this is my feeling as well: Stone would be great, but its a bit of a pipe dream imo...you'd have to give up a lot and then shuffle things around a lot in the off season to afford him.

i've thought a Nyquist/Johansson/Dzingle would be excellent Tier 2 trades...
Tier 3 would be a guy like Burakovsky or Toronto's Johansson (both young with upside but currently not tapped into really)
Old 02-18-2019, 10:50 PM   #10569
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dzingel is highly impressive but no idea if the sens are shopping him.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:54 PM   #10570
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Burakovsky might be a buy low candidate only because this has been his worst season over the last 3 seasons at least.

But look at Burakovsky's 5v5 production over the last 3 seasons:

Andre Burakovsky

2016-19: 1.88 in 1989:43
Quality of Competition: 40
Quality of Teammates: 42
DZ Starts: 51%

Sam Bennett

2016-2019: 1.37 in 2624:19
Quality of Competition: 53rd percentile
Quality of Teammates: 48th percentile
DZ Starts: 43%

One way to look at this is that Burakovsky has the 2nd highest rate of production at 5 v 5 while playing with the worst teammates of the group. He is playing against the worst competition of the group, but also starts more often in the defensive end than in the offensive end.

I think this is very positive.

I had to verify the bolded because while stats are nice that seemed really dubious, so I took a look at the scoring logs for these two players and tabulated the list of players who also had a point on any even-strength points they did. Here is what I ended up with

Burakovsky 2016-19

I guess I'm skeptical. That looks like a lot of points from Backstrom and Niskanen, and then a lot of time spent with Eller and Connolly. Connolly is a 6th overall pick with higher P/60 than Burakovsky, while Eller is basically a Backlund that gets to feast on lesser competition.

Do you think Eller-Connolly is truly a worse set of linemates than Jankowski-Hathaway or Versteeg-Brouwer or Jankowski-Neal-that-can't-shoot? I'm pretty skeptical of that being the case.

If anything, Brett Connolly is the Capital we should be targetting. RHS, better pedigree, better production.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-18-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:18 PM   #10571
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
He's a UFA, so you have to assume they are, unless they can re-sign him in the next few days.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:25 PM   #10572
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
He's a UFA, so you have to assume they are, unless they can re-sign him in the next few days.
I'd be all over that. Lower profile guy than the other two, wouldn't cost as much. But a lot of teams would be bidding because of that.

LW also, so perhaps

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Dzingel - Backlund - Lindholm
Old 02-18-2019, 11:34 PM   #10573
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://www.tsn.ca/video/do-the-flam...adline~1614552
The Following User Says Thank You to Brick For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 12:43 AM   #10574
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
There's been non-stop talk from every insider possible that it's very likely he's traded
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 12:48 AM   #10575
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2018/2019 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Scouting the Capitals makes me wonder about Burakovsky and Orpik.

Orpik definitely fits the mould of veteran left shot defenceman who is battle tested come playoff time. Burakovsky would also be an interesting acquisition and could perhaps be a “buy low” (or low’ish) situation. Watching some videos on Burakovsky and it seems like he’s incredibly well liked in the dressing room.

I wonder what Washington is looking for to help them repeat.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:54 AM   #10576
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be very surprised if a trade happened between the Caps and the Flames given they're both looking to add for a run. Based on that, it doesn't seem like there'd be a match. I don't know what Burakovsky's value to the Caps are, but as an example, if we presume Washington would be okay with a Burakovsky for Frolik swap, do both teams now worry about chemistry impacts? If the Flames are indeed scouting the Caps, I wouldn't put it past Treliving to be asking his scouts to do it not for this playoff run, but for the draft when I'm sure he'll make a deal or two, as he always does.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:23 AM   #10577
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's eerily quiet on here today...something's going to happen.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:24 AM   #10578
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I'd be very surprised if a trade happened between the Caps and the Flames given they're both looking to add for a run. Based on that, it doesn't seem like there'd be a match. I don't know what Burakovsky's value to the Caps are, but as an example, if we presume Washington would be okay with a Burakovsky for Frolik swap, do both teams now worry about chemistry impacts? If the Flames are indeed scouting the Caps, I wouldn't put it past Treliving to be asking his scouts to do it not for this playoff run, but for the draft when I'm sure he'll make a deal or two, as he always does.

The Caps have less than $1m in cap space. What could they add?

I think they will be quiet at the deadline.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:44 AM   #10579
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
It's eerily quiet on here today...something's going to happen.
Things will start to roll once the Sens make their move. They have 3 of the top forward rentals on the market including 2 of the top 3. Once Duchene moves and they decide what to do with Stone stuff will happen.

The less than happens this week the more that will happen Monday most likely. I think we see several deals between Thursday-Sunday leading up to a typical mediocre deadline day
Old 02-19-2019, 07:51 AM   #10580
Stauner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'd be all over that. Lower profile guy than the other two, wouldn't cost as much. But a lot of teams would be bidding because of that.

LW also, so perhaps

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Dzingel - Backlund - Lindholm

I dont understand why every time a trade gets mentioned on here that more often than not Lindholm and Tkachuk switch lines
Closed Thread