Transplant will happy to know they are showing BC vs AB thus afternoon

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:58 AM   #22
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Crazy game....Scheidegger just stole 2 in the 9th to tie.

That was a horrific call in the 9th by Silvernagle on her last. Hit the one Scheidegger just threw on the inside. If you nose it, you only give up one and are still up 1 with hammer in the 10th. If you hit it slightly on the low side you make the double and roll for shot to be up 3 in the 10th. If you are too wide, but not wide enough to flash, you make the double easily, and the third WC rock acts as a catcher and you score one that way. It was a terrible piece of skipping, that fortunately for her, didn't come back to bite her.

This wasn't as dreadful as NL's decision to draw in the 4th end against Yukon in the 4th draw, when a wide open hit for six was available, but it was the second worst call of the event so far. It was something a poorly coached juniors team, with no confidence would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #23
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Transplant will happy to know they are showing BC vs AB thus afternoon
Very pleased. but looking at the other options there really isnt one.

Ontario against the juniors from QC? That could be over by the 6th end.

Other games every team has a losing record...hard to do in an 8 team pool.

Good stuff thus far though even with some very questionable calls and even poorer execution.

The ice is still giving some people fits.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #24
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Great shots by BC, AB in deep doo-do this 8th end.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #25
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I dont know what BC was doing that extra end.

Squiggs dumb decision #3.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #26
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Interesting day for sure.

Pool B is upside down with Scheidegger (not a big surprise) PEI and NWT (huge surprises both) on top.

Pool A is following script a bit more.

Tomorrow is a huge day for a bunch of rinks sitting with 2 losses including Team Canada, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and No. Ontario.

Huge game in the late draw with Alberta and Ontario facing off for what will likely be 1st place.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:49 PM   #27
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Team Canada and Jones in particular looked to be in very poor form against New Brunswick. They have one day to turn it around..
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:57 AM   #28
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

NO’s last shot in 8 against BC shows what good coaching can do. McCarville was looking at some difficult options and Lang comes in, simplifies the situation, and calls the right shot. He stresses that NO needs to make it or the game is basically done. Krista makes it perfectly and NO gets 2. Great call and great shot.

Also, phenomenal tick by BC to start the 9th.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #29
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Scored free tickets for tomorrow's afternoon draw.

A - Northwest Territories v Wildcard
B - Canada v Yukon
C - New Brunswick v Prince Edward Island
D - Saskatchewan v Newfoundland and Labrador

I'm not sure what game is televised. If it's sheet A, I'll totally bring the little guy with his Flames jersey on.
it is indeed Sheet A as the featured game, Northwest Territories vs. Wild Card

Old 02-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #30
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
NO’s last shot in 8 against BC shows what good coaching can do. McCarville was looking at some difficult options and Lang comes in, simplifies the situation, and calls the right shot. He stresses that NO needs to make it or the game is basically done. Krista makes it perfectly and NO gets 2. Great call and great shot.

Also, phenomenal tick by BC to start the 9th.

Horrific play by BC in 9. Wark decides on the draw and her front end does everything they can to put doubt in her mind and talk her out of it. They have to know their role in that situation and just shut up and put it on the pin. Then, the whole way down the ice Sandwith is doing a hard clean, even though it's heavy, Wark is saying it's heaving, Pilote is saying it's not curling (implying it's heavy and/or will travel further because it's not taking the break), and Rusnell keeps smacking her broom away. In that situation I like the hit. You flop in a bit and only give up one or you make it good and you get one. Either is hugely more beneficial than giving up 2. I don't mind the draw if you're confident in it. However, once you decide to draw, your team needs to support you, and not the faux affirmations they give 1 second before Wark shoots.

10 wasn't much better for BC. They had were in full control until Pilote and Wark missed a couple. For a game they were in full control of, BC sure found a way to lose that game. Very disappointing to watch, as 4-1 is much different than 3-2. They've been strong all year on tour and they are making mistakes I haven't seen this year.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #31
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Big loss for Homan this morning...will never forgive her for her performance in Pyeongchang.

Sets up a game for 1st place tonight between Carey (they are undefeated but not playing their A game) and Homan.

Scheidegger can set herself up nicely this afternoon with a win.

Good stuff going on.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:57 AM   #32
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Horrific play by BC in 9. Wark decides on the draw and her front end does everything they can to put doubt in her mind and talk her out of it. They have to know their role in that situation and just shut up and put it on the pin. Then, the whole way down the ice Sandwith is doing a hard clean, even though it's heavy, Wark is saying it's heaving, Pilote is saying it's not curling (implying it's heavy and/or will travel further because it's not taking the break), and Rusnell keeps smacking her broom away. In that situation I like the hit. You flop in a bit and only give up one or you make it good and you get one. Either is hugely more beneficial than giving up 2. I don't mind the draw if you're confident in it. However, once you decide to draw, your team needs to support you, and not the faux affirmations they give 1 second before Wark shoots.

10 wasn't much better for BC. They had were in full control until Pilote and Wark missed a couple. For a game they were in full control of, BC sure found a way to lose that game. Very disappointing to watch, as 4-1 is much different than 3-2. They've been strong all year on tour and they are making mistakes I haven't seen this year.
Yeah I dont know what happened but after that time out by N. Ont you mentioned earlier...they were a completely different team. BC really choked that one away....up 6-3 with 3 to play and lose? Ouch.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #33
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

On the shuttle to Centre 200 from the Heartstop Lounge currently.

I'm weirdly excited for this afternoon's draw. Look for the 2 year old in a Gio jersey in the crowd.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #34
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:

That happened in the AB game in the extra end I mentioned above.
After AB missed the tick on a perfect center guard, Wark wanted to go around it but her front end talked her out of it. They threw another guard and it spun out of control after that.

Wark is the skip, why is she letting her team talk her out of things.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:11 AM   #35
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That happened in the AB game in the extra end I mentioned above.
After AB missed the tick on a perfect center guard, Wark wanted to go around it but her front end talked her out of it. They threw another guard and it spun out of control after that.

Wark is the skip, why is she letting her team talk her out of things.

I don't mind input into shots. It's a team game, especially in this era, but I'm a fan of the skip needs to control the flow of the game. The biggest reason I like having the skip decide most of what is going on is that s/he usually is throwing the last rock. If you, as the skip, are setting it up to play something on your last, you don't want to have a few calls change what you are throwing. You get pissy, and your mind is not aligned for what you wanted. Input is absolutely fine, but it has to be selective and it has to stop if the skip really doesn't want it.

Kevin Koe's teams from the last few years liked to discuss everything. They almost ran out of time every game, but that worked for them. Kevin Martin and Brad Gushue run more of a dictator like atmosphere on their rinks. Yes, there is input, but it's not as much. Gushue is getting more input these last few years, but the calibre of players he has on his team is substantially better than when his front end had Korab, Adam, Noftall, Schille, Fry, Fanbrook, etc. Gallant and Walker are two of the best. They've been together for five years and have two Briers. They get to have input.

Some of this also comes from practice. I'm a huge fan of practicing and discussing situations before you come up against them. Whatever the score, hammer, and end situation, your team should have a plan for it. You shouldn't be in an extra end and not know what to do with the third rock, no matter what happened on the first two. There's zero excuse for that and it shouldn't be a discussion. They've had over six months to figure that out.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #36
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Given our seats, we might make it on TV. Already on the scoreboard.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #37
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Lookin good Maritime. Cheer loud for the best province out there. The province of Wildcard.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 01:54 PM   #38
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Back home on the couch.

Never factored the little one's desire to explore into the equation.

Toward the end of the 3rd end we got up and never made it back to our seats. We were at the top of the upper bowl though, and the 2 year old won a pin playing curling shuffleboard in the main concourse.

All in all it's a great event. Hopefully those that travelled aren't minding the frigid weather and are enjoying Centre 200 and the rest of the town.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:10 PM   #39
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

PEI beat NB 13-12? I wanna see that game

NB 0022020303-0 - 12
PE 0500302020-1 - 13

PEI is 4-1!

Old 02-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #40
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
PEI beat NB 13-12? I wanna see that game

NB 0022020303-0 - 12
PE 0500302020-1 - 13

PEI is 4-1!
Highest scoring game in Scotties history.