Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 01-24-2019, 08:31 AM   #3881
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's amazing how this trade has gone from "Oh God we just lost our best offensive D-man!" to now where we as fans are talking almost apologetically about how one-sided the thing looks.

I mean, cut a certain way, the Flames got 2 really good players and the Canes got a streaky, injury prone crash-and-bang (with some skill) winger, a D-man who is -7 and plays a soft game, and a prospect who probably won't sign there. Ouch. Now, that's being intentionally discharitable, but still, the trade has made Calgary far better then they were, and I don't think it's had anything like that effect on the Canes.

Hopefully for the Canes, Dougie improves or they figure out how to maximize him, and Fox signs there and does well.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:36 AM   #3882
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

The good news for the Canes is that, as he typically does, Hamilton is heating up offensively in the second half of the season. I thought that both he and Ferland (abbreviated appearance) were great in the game against the Flames.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #3883
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Hamilton could find a coach who could teach/convince him to play good D (he sure has the tools to do so) he'd be a bona fide number one d-man in this league.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:51 AM   #3884
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
If Hamilton could find a coach who could teach/convince him to play good D (he sure has the tools to do so) he'd be a bona fide number one d-man in this league.
And I feel like he's been seen as that his whole career - big, talented skater, who could dominate at lower levels, but at the NHL level needed to commit to a more engaged defensive style, and hasn't done. The ceiling is obvious, and I think that's what the Flames banked on when they acquired him (and why the Bruins didn't get too upset about not keeping him, they play a very engaged physical hockey).

I never thought Dougie looked good as a defender, I thought Gio made up for Dougie's defensive lapses. Great to have a trailing D-man with a magic shot,but even better to have a mean, tough, engaged D-man with commitment, and suddenly we have a few of those (Gio, Hammer, and Andersson).
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:55 AM   #3885
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquatch View Post
And I feel like he's been seen as that his whole career - big, talented skater, who could dominate at lower levels, but at the NHL level needed to commit to a more engaged defensive style, and hasn't done. The ceiling is obvious, and I think that's what the Flames banked on when they acquired him (and why the Bruins didn't get too upset about not keeping him, they play a very engaged physical hockey).

I never thought Dougie looked good as a defender, I thought Gio made up for Dougie's defensive lapses. Great to have a trailing D-man with a magic shot,but even better to have a mean, tough, engaged D-man with commitment, and suddenly we have a few of those (Gio, Hammer, and Andersson).
In hindsight, I feel like Hamilton was not a guy who used the other skaters that well. He has a world class wrister, so he can score. But he wasn't a guy who could distribute the puck as well as Gio, or even Brodie does now.

Defensively, I think Hamilton probably got away with a lot in junior due to size, skating and reach, so he didn't have to position himself as well, or bodycheck much. NHL needs more positional awareness. Huska is supposedly a D-whisperer but he never got his hands on Hamilton. I wonder if he'd have done anything.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #3886
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one thing I hadn't really processed, is that "poor" Adam Fox got traded from a team stocked with promising young D and a blueline already set for a while, to one of only a handful of teams that are deeper in young D. It's a good insurance policy of Treliving to increase the likelihood of Fox becoming a free agent, though I doubt that was the reason
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:08 PM   #3887
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Burke was on the morning show and the trade came up. He mentioned he takes no credit for the trade as it was done after he left. What he did mention is the organization was really high on Hanifin. Says Hamilton has better puck skills, but Hanifin is younger and really making strides.

Also mentioned that in his conversations with Fox's agent, he was told Fox would be a four year college player. So the risk of losing for nothing seems to have been established early on. Burke also doesn't think he will sign in Carolina. Reading between the lines it looks like to get him out of college early there will have to be an incentive (i.e. roster spot).
Burke also said that Ferland had checked out the end of last season. No one could get to him, so including him in the deal was easy. If that’s the case, doesn’t sound like there would be any interest in bringing him back
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #3888
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In hindsight, I feel like Hamilton was not a guy who used the other skaters that well. He has a world class wrister, so he can score. But he wasn't a guy who could distribute the puck as well as Gio, or even Brodie does now.

Defensively, I think Hamilton probably got away with a lot in junior due to size, skating and reach, so he didn't have to position himself as well, or bodycheck much. NHL needs more positional awareness. Huska is supposedly a D-whisperer but he never got his hands on Hamilton. I wonder if he'd have done anything.

That was the argument I made before the Hamilton trade went down - that I would rather keep Brodie as Brodie actually makes the other players on the ice better. I always felt that Hamilton was the superior goal scorer, but in all other areas Brodie was the better defencemen, even though he just finished having a down second season.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:58 PM   #3889
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

What do you think the Oilers would pay for Hamilton? first + Nuge + Yamamota ? If Chia was still around I would say for sure .... its unfortunate we don't get to watch him manage 1 more trade deadline.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:10 PM   #3890
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Huska's made Prout better, so I have no doubt he would've helped Hamilton. However, Hamilton has absolutely zero positional ability, especially in regards with his stick, so it would've been one hell of a slog.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:56 PM   #3891
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Huska's made Prout better, so I have no doubt he would've helped Hamilton. However, Hamilton has absolutely zero positional ability, especially in regards with his stick, so it would've been one hell of a slog.
One would hope he would at least minimize the dumb penalties.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:12 PM   #3892
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

So true, Hamilton's instinct is to go for the hook when he's beaten.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #3893
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

CGY moved some prime draft picks in recent years so Treliving be able to recoup 2, 5th OA picks back is just amazing.

104 - 6 - 5
6 - 24 - 10
4 - 21 - 33
166 - ND - ND

ND - 114
5 - 53
60 - 53

ND

10 starters drafted by the team. All but 1 of the not drafted (ND) signed to first contract by CGY.

Well done Treliving and hockey ops.

-No getting complacent tho!
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2019, 05:20 PM   #3894
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bit of a bump, but one of concerns with trading Hamilton was points from the D. In the last 4 years, the D production has been:

14/15: 45G, 195P
15/16: 51G, 203P
16/17: 44G, 176P
17/18: 40G, 146P

As a rule of thumb, most playoff teams get at least 150 pts from the blueline, and the teams that don't get 150 don't make the playoffs.

Last year there was a lot of debate about whether the team lacked talent or if Gulutzan was sapping the life from them. Well, with Hamilton out and Hanifin in, the Flames have already surpassed last year's numbers.

18/19: 33G, 147P (47G, 208P pace)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #3895
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

My heart
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:55 AM   #3896
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

While this trade has been fantiastic for the Flames this season the Jerks in Carolina are rolling now and it looks like this could still be a nice win-win for both teams. Personally I am hoping the Canes make it and I have always had a soft spot for them after beating the Oil in 2006. 35pts for Ferland which would have him on a 53pt pace over the full season. Hamilton is up to 27pts and has nearly caught Hanifin and is having his typical second half surge. Fox has 38pts in 27 games for Harvard.

Canes making the playoffs would be huge for them but it does look like Ferland is going to the highest bidder July 1. Fox could possibly sign but might also go back for his senior year. Lots of risk on the Canes side but at least their season has turned around. Flames are obviously still overjoyed with the deal as Hanifin is on pace for 36pts and Lindholm 92 with both being signed to amazing team friendly long term deals.

Glad the Canes turened their season around and this trade appears to be a win-win today (just a bigger win for Calgary)
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #3897
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Canes lost Ferland, deHann & Faulk last night. Rough go of things for the jerks.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:24 AM   #3898
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

We don’t talk about Hanifin enough. Lot of run everywhere for Andersson and Kylington while we seemingly just forget Hanifin is the same age. Guy is a real good player who still has a ton of upside. I personally look at him as Gios eventual replacement over Valimaki, although I do believe both have that potential. The D looks to be in a great position for a long time
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:27 AM   #3899
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope the Hurricanes make the playoffs and knock out Tampa
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jore For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 11:06 AM   #3900
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lindholm on pace for a ridiculous 92 points while playing solid defense, winning draws and on an amzing contract.

His trade value would be astronomical.

It's almost unbelievable we were able to acquire a player like this.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote