Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #1881
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
They're big on following the rules. Sadly for us, the rules aren't very accommodating on providing access for communities.
It is one of the more conservative sets of rules in North America which makes it much more expensive but should lead to better traffic flow 20 years from now. I really like their refusal to compromise on weave lanes. Limit access now or need another ring road sooner.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #1882
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. For highways with a design speed of 110 like Stoney, they want really long acceleration and deceleration lanes. Take note of how long the ramps are on Stoney NE, NW and SE, and the new interchanges on Deerfoot at 130 Ave McKenzie Towne Blvd. As Calgarians we're used to our sub-par urban interchanges, so at first glance you look at something like Stoney West and are baffled by the lack of accesses.

There is a solution, called a braided ramp or basketweave... and they've just opened one on northbound Deerfoot between Seton and 22X. But they cost money, so traffic demand for the movement has to warrant it.

Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #1883
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
There is a solution, called a braided ramp or basketweave... and they've just opened one on northbound Deerfoot between Seton and 22X. But they cost money, so traffic demand for the movement has to warrant it.

That's gangster.

I'm such a sucker for complex and interesting interchanges. A lot of people look at monster concrete freeways as the devil but I'm the opposite.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #1884
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

NB Crowchild and Northland/Shag is another example of the above for keeping access open to 2 roads that are too close together.

Shag and 53rd are already showing signs of why weave lanes suck...
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #1885
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, Shag's Crowchild has got a couple basketweaves, and they work well. Deerfoot is ultimately going to need a whole bunch of these, along with significant widening, to fix its problems.

Last edited by Acey; 10-28-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #1886
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

I also like the weaves. Once you figure them out i find they work well.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #1887
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate the southbound Blackfoot on to westbound Glenmore weave with westbound Glenmore and Centre St.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #1888
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of bad on/off ramp designs, does anyone remember the old 16 ave westbound on to Sarcee Trail design?
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #1889
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Speaking of bad on/off ramp designs, does anyone remember the old 16 ave westbound on to Sarcee Trail design?
You can relive its glory at NB 22 and hwy 1.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #1890
stevinder
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
I hate the southbound Blackfoot on to westbound Glenmore weave with westbound Glenmore and Centre St.
I'll go out of my way over to 5th St SW to avoid that clusterfarck.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #1891
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, how 'bout that SE Ring Road?

Are they still cobbling pieces together to try and get it open?

Any "official" updates?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #1892
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
So, how 'bout that SE Ring Road?

Are they still cobbling pieces together to try and get it open?

Any "official" updates?
At this point I'm thinking November....2020 in conjunction with the SW ring road.

In all seriousness, I have no clue but it is frustrating to drive through daily.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #1893
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Any "official" updates?
By the end of this week, she (their communications person) told me there will be an updated timeline for traffic availability. In other words, she has no idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #1894
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

It's really funny to me, that work in the portion that is already "open" is preventing the opening of the portion that is ready to go, but remains closed.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #1895
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm always going through the 22x/Deerfoot area and I'm just happy progress is being made and the 3 souths lanes are open. The commute home has been nice again.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #1896
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
It's really funny to me, that work in the portion that is already "open" is preventing the opening of the portion that is ready to go, but remains closed.
I've got a friend who said he has a few co-workers involved... today he told me they were literally begging to open down to 22X for October 1st, but AB Trans pretty much said, "F you... all or nothing with everything built to spec." Dunno if there's any truth to that but it'd support suspicion that they were hauling ass near the end and cutting corners (temp Jersey barriers, etc.) to avoid harming their reputation.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #1897
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Still an assholish thing for the government to do, though given it's McIvor, unsurprising as well.

I am not certain there is a legitimate reason not to open up down to 22X, but opening up to at least Glenmore would make a large difference since that is a road better designed to handle large traffic flows than the two-lane Peigan extension is.

But area commuters are getting screwed because McIvor wants his photo-op and headline.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #1898
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly, it feels like things are actually regressing in several areas. Previously paved areas have had the surface scraped off (I am sure there is a better term for that process), but no new paving has been done. This has resulted in huge backups because of the 2 inch cliff everyone has to slow down to get over. They are finally getting to adding the concrete curbs in many areas which means lane closures, pylons, and flaggers again. And it's not just cosmetic stuff. It's so insanely frustrating.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #1899
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Still an assholish thing for the government to do, though given it's McIvor, unsurprising as well.

I am not certain there is a legitimate reason not to open up down to 22X, but opening up to at least Glenmore would make a large difference since that is a road better designed to handle large traffic flows than the two-lane Peigan extension is.

But area commuters are getting screwed because McIvor wants his photo-op and headline.
As you said, opening to Glenmore does make sense. However I can see the gov't not wanting to open the rest of the N/S route. That would increase the traffic on areas still under construction. So you would be looking at worker safety as well problems with road closures. For example, WB 22X only has 1 lane open between 52nd and Cranston. (Other than the lanes that exit onto Deerfoot.)

However, is Glenmore ready? Last I heard it still wasn't up to standards.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #1900
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm confused by the Glenmore rumours. The way I see it, if the bridge isn't safe there shouldn't be traffic on it, period. So the rumours about the bridge needing major structural repair are entirely possible, but unlikely.