Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #2281
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Yeah. Partial in this case means partial access to/from Stoney, but you'll be able to cross on the bridge.
Thanks. I'm guessing it will be similar to the 52nd street access near new Brighton?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #2282
stevinder
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Took the new camcorder out for a spin yesterday afternoon to video the whole of Stoney Trail from Macleod Trail to 16th Ave NW.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #2283
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Thanks. I'm guessing it will be similar to the 52nd street access near new Brighton?
52 St is a full interchange, you can access both directions from both roads with the 4 ramps there. I don't have the plans in front of me, but this is likely a 2 ramp interchange... so no access from one direction (WB Stoney I think) and then you can't go to EB Stoney from the bridge.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #2284
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

When is the lane widening on the bridges over Nose Creek supposed to be complete? Thus making that part of Stoney 3 lanes each direction.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #2285
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
When is the lane widening on the bridges over Nose Creek supposed to be complete? Thus making that part of Stoney 3 lanes each direction.
Before winter. The remaining bits will be done as well for three lanes each way between Country Hills Blvd NW and Deerfoot.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #2286
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What's happening with the SW portion now, Federal Government approval? How long has it been now, about 6 or 7 months?
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:10 PM   #2287
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't been following it, honestly... going to be a while before anything gets done. They need approval yes, then the province has to draw it all up and then the contractors bid on it.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #2288
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Does anyone know what the gov means by the term "partial interchange"? I ask because we have family in Silverado and they're worried they wont have north/south access when the ring road is completed. Currently there is an intersection at 22x and 6th street. I assume this will be eliminated but will traffic be able to flow from Silverado north on 6th street?
Silverado residents need to push for a connection to Spruce Meadows Way. That will be the closest full interchange with Stoney Trail.

Movements to and from Silverado are going to be limited with the current design. Will be the same as how the north access to Cranston was affected by Stoney Trail.

Last edited by DoubleK; 05-02-2014 at 10:40 AM.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #2289
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
52 St is a full interchange, you can access both directions from both roads with the 4 ramps there. I don't have the plans in front of me, but this is likely a 2 ramp interchange... so no access from one direction (WB Stoney I think) and then you can't go to EB Stoney from the bridge.
Here is a link to the 2009 Functional Planning Study. Very limited movements.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #2290
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Silverado residents need to push for a connection to Spruce Meadows Way. That will be the closest full interchange with Stoney Trail.

Movements to and from Silverado are going to be limited with the current design. Will be the same as how the north access to Cranston was affected by Stoney Trail.
Doesnt the diagram on link indicate they will have full access just not with freeway speeds. The lights will give Silverado access East and West no?
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #2291
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Doesnt the diagram on link indicate they will have full access just not with freeway speeds. The lights will give Silverado access East and West no?
No.

There will be no direct access from WB Stoney into Silverado.

There will be no direct access to EB Stoney from Silverado.

There exists the potential for u-turn routes via the Spruce Meadows interchange.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #2292
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

The lack of access sucks, but anyone who has been through the 22X/Deerfoot complex can attest to the efficiency of that interchange. Okotoks to Airdrie either direction, you don't even have to slow down.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #2293
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
No.

There will be no direct access from WB Stoney into Silverado.

There will be no direct access to EB Stoney from Silverado.

There exists the potential for u-turn routes via the Spruce Meadows interchange.
Well, that is bull####. At least with Cranston people will be able to enter the community from the south once the off ramp from Stoney Westbound to Deerfoot Southbound is completed. No such option exists for Silverado as their is only one paved entrance to the community. The thing that pisses me off the most is that there is more than enough room for four way access/egress if they simply utilized the available space in the Transportation/Utility corridor.

Last edited by Reaper; 05-02-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #2294
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
The thing that pisses me off the most is that there is more than enough room for four way access/egress if they simply utilized the available space in the Transportation/Utility corridor.
There isn't enough distance between 6th St SW and McLeod interchange. In order to accommodate these movements several bridge structures would have to exist to allow for weaving. It simply isn't cost effective, which it is why it's not in the scope. These distances are well understood by transportation planners.

Silverado residents need to pursue a connection to Spruce Meadows Way via 194th Ave.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DoubleK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2014, 08:34 AM   #2295
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

And here we go...

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...287/story.html

Druh Farrell is such an embarrassment to this city.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #2296
1stLand
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
And here we go...

Some Aldermen/women must live in a Bubble.
1stLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #2297
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
And here we go...

While I am definitely not a fan of Druh Farrell, I do think there is legitimacy in challenging the per user cost of the ring road.

When the city was going through the process of the temporary bike lanes in downtown, there was outrage of the expense for "relatively few riders" It was pretty common for anti's to justify not installing the bike lanes by challenging the per user cost.... That was for a $7.5MM project.

The SW ring road is closer to $135MM in direct cost to the city and over $5B cost to the province. At a time when neither the city or the province is running anything close to a surplus, it is my opinion that these kinds of expenses need to be challenged (not discarded, but the decision needs to be challenged and if it is still a good project then it should proceed)

A lot of time and energy was wasted opposing and defending a $7.5MM expenditure, but your expectation is that everyone jumps on board a project that has a cost that is over 650times larger??
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
V
Old 05-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #2298
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Finish the damn road... For the love of god.

The plan was to build a RING road. At what point do we just start calling this thing a semi circle road. Just get it done. The existing road proves excellent efficiency and really takes some heat off other major roads.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:56 AM   #2299
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Yeah we all knew the costs would be high going in, just not the final number. I think if the SW portion was the first section to be done and there would be no ring without it, I'm sure there would be more support. But now that everyone else has their ring portion they are more than happy to say we need N-SE LRT instead.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:04 AM   #2300
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
While I am definitely not a fan of Druh Farrell, I do think there is legitimacy in challenging the per user cost of the ring road.

When the city was going through the process of the temporary bike lanes in downtown, there was outrage of the expense for "relatively few riders" It was pretty common for anti's to justify not installing the bike lanes by challenging the per user cost.... That was for a $7.5MM project.

The SW ring road is closer to $135MM in direct cost to the city and over $5B cost to the province. At a time when neither the city or the province is running anything close to a surplus, it is my opinion that these kinds of expenses need to be challenged (not discarded, but the decision needs to be challenged and if it is still a good project then it should proceed)

A lot of time and energy was wasted opposing and defending a $7.5MM expenditure, but your expectation is that everyone jumps on board a project that has a cost that is over 650times larger??
Based on what though? I support the cycle track entirely and if anything want to see it increased substantially to see enormous expansion. I just think that these per user figures on either side are a sales pitch though. Its like when you're buying a car or house and the salesperson gives you the "its only $10 a week" and you spend the extra $5000 on a car.

I also don't like the "we had trouble getting the cycle-track approved, so now were going to jerk around with you getting this project approved" mentality. To me that just creates more conflict and eventually nothing gets done because of the politics. I don't think that anyone, urban or suburban, votes for that kind of thing.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
GGG