Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #281
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just a terrible decision surrounding pricing. I would have loved to go check out a game, but not at that price. It's too bad because I feel like this league could catch on. Calgary is going to be the weak link of this league.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Familia For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 04:03 PM   #282
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they have made of mess of the pricing as well, and that’s a shame. But the truth is that if we want the league to survive and hopefully grow into something bigger, it has to be supported. I think it’s probably overpriced, but honestly that’s why I bought my tickets. I want professional soccer here and I’m willing to put my money where my mouth is so to speak, and buy some tickets.

I hope they do come out with a deal for kids in particular, because I think they missed the boat there. The post by mcree earlier is insightful into that issue where a group of would be fans is shut out due to the costs. That’s a killer for a fledging organization.

As for the other seats being too expensive, it’s almost certainly the case. But what if the product and presentation is just excellent on Saturday? Maybe you can buy a beer at a reasonable price and they’re going to make it a great experience? I just think that before we write this off as doomed because it’s $15-20 too expensive we should wait and see what it’s like in the first place. Granted, I’m cautiously optimistic, but still optimistic!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #283
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I respect your optimism Slava but the reality is there's a good chunk of seats that cost more than MLS!!! That's head in the clouds pricing, there was no point to it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 05:47 PM   #284
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I respect your optimism Slava but the reality is there's a good chunk of seats that cost more than MLS!!! That's head in the clouds pricing, there was no point to it.
Agreed. Pacific FC tops out at about $60, which seems very much on par with expectations for this level of sport/entertainment. If $60 was the top end at Spruce Meadows and not $100, the place would be nice and full on Saturday, and probably for the most of the season.

Optimism is good. I want it to succeed as much as anyone, and I'll be putting in what I can in terms of time and money. But hundreds (or thousands, if you look at any date beyond Saturday) of empty seats is very concerning any way you look at it. The league has done a lot of things right, and the first two matches have been really neat to see. Surreal in a way. And another one tonight!
Old 05-01-2019, 06:08 PM   #285
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
As for the other seats being too expensive, it’s almost certainly the case. But what if the product and presentation is just excellent on Saturday? Maybe you can buy a beer at a reasonable price and they’re going to make it a great experience? I just think that before we write this off as doomed because it’s $15-20 too expensive we should wait and see what it’s like in the first place. Granted, I’m cautiously optimistic, but still optimistic!
There's no universe in which the experience of the CPL is going to justify pricing it above an objectively-better on-field product already available nationally. You might as well price the Hitmen above the Flames and bank on people coming for the 'experience' for all the sense that makes.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:28 PM   #286
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want to make sure your soccer team doesn't last in the city for the umpteenth time, charing more than the country's premier league of your sport is the best way to do it.

What a preposterous decision. The sheer arrogance.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:43 PM   #287
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, it is. I mean I agree that they’ve overpriced this and that causes multiple issues. The atmosphere needs to be good to get people coming back, so I hope it’s worth these prices. I looked and see the ticket sales online and that’s not good of course, but like I say hopefully it’s worth this. I feel like Spruce Meadows should know how to put an event on though, and I also think that they’re in this for the long haul with the stadium construction and such.

It could be that I’m consoling myself to an extent because I bought the tickets and would like to see the season out st the very least!
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 07:26 PM   #288
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I ended up buying 2 tickets for this. I'm not a huge soccer fan but I'll enjoy going to almost any live sporting event. I hope this can succeed and really hoping to be entertained by this. Can someone more knowledgeable about this team give a run down on the players or what to watch for in this opening match. Does Cavalry have anyone who I should know about? I'm not completely oblivious to the game but I do not follow soccer at any level and have only ever paid attention to events like the world cup.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:26 PM   #289
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All this talk of pricing leads me to one specific question...

Who own the Cavalry?

Old 05-01-2019, 09:40 PM   #290
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie_16 View Post
All this talk of pricing leads me to one specific question...

Who own the Cavalry?

The owner of Spruce Meadows, the Southern family.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 07:48 AM   #291
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since Pacific has been mentioned a few times in the last few days, their attendance for last night's game was 2360.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:54 AM   #292
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC91 View Post
Can someone more knowledgeable about this team give a run down on the players or what to watch for in this opening match. Does Cavalry have anyone who I should know about?
I'm certainly not an expert on the team, but a few players that should be important for Cavalry would be:

1 - Marco Carducci - promising young goalkeeper, spent some time with the Whitecaps.
5 - Mason Trafford - an older (32) center back. One of the more experienced players in the league
6 - Nik Ledgerwood - captain of the team, defensive midfielder, has a fair bit of national team experience
8 - Julian Buscher - midfielder, has some MLS experience and at one point was in the German youth national team
9 - Jordan Brown - forward, only 23 years old, was in the West Ham youth program in England but has bounced around a bit since then
The Following User Says Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 08:10 AM   #293
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like they've posted some cheaper seats with terrible vantage points ($40)...still standing pat on the $100 mid-field ones.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:28 AM   #294
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanStrandedInEDM View Post
Looks like they've posted some cheaper seats with terrible vantage points ($40)...still standing pat on the $100 mid-field ones.
Haven't they painted themselves into a corner here though? Like if they sold my seats far below the seasons ticket price I paid, prior to even playing a game as well, I'd be calling the club. Mine aren't the top tier, but aren't the bottom either.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:54 AM   #295
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Haven't they painted themselves into a corner here though? Like if they sold my seats far below the seasons ticket price I paid, prior to even playing a game as well, I'd be calling the club. Mine aren't the top tier, but aren't the bottom either.
The Calgary Flames do this to STHs regularly...as well as many concerts that come through town. Drop the prices on the remaining tickets available a day or two before the event. It is definitely annoying but it seems like common practice.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:02 AM   #296
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

So comparing current availability to the screen caps taken a couple days ago, and something interesting is happening. On the one hand, several rows of the $90 tickets in 104 have gone, but on the other, entire rows that were marked unavailable a few days ago are fully available today. That adds a little bit of concern as we don't actually know any more what is sold, and what has been reserved but won't sell.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:05 AM   #297
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is everyone meeting at pubs and then arriving to the Match for gametime? or is anyone heading early to the grounds to the beer tents?

And what is the "March to the match" Tommy keeps talking about on the radio?

Spoiler!

Last edited by RM14; 05-02-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:07 AM   #298
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanStrandedInEDM View Post
The Calgary Flames do this to STHs regularly...as well as many concerts that come through town. Drop the prices on the remaining tickets available a day or two before the event. It is definitely annoying but it seems like common practice.
Yeah, I know it happens and I'm not saying it won't. But really, to the people who shelled out money and bought seasons tickets to support the club in the first place it sends a terrible message.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #299
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post

For some reason, this image of the grounds makes me think of that Fyre Festival Documentary...
Old 05-02-2019, 09:21 AM   #300
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What are we expecting for beer prices/concessions....Has any information been released on that?
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge