Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-30-2020, 09:54 AM   #2021
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have been getting out early in the am for rides and i mix it up between my gravel grinder and my mtn bike. when i ride my mtn bike, i find my feet get soaked and my bike is a mess because of all of the higher than normal vegetation and the morning dew.....
Old 07-30-2020, 10:00 AM   #2022
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shout out to Connor from Access Courier (accesscourier.ca) who runs a mobile bike repair service. My bottom bracket was dying and after luckily running into him fixing a neighbor's bike, I had him come fix mine last week. Great having the bike mechanic come to your front driveway vs going to a bike shop. Great guy and great experience. His Dutch cargo bike is also cool to see.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 02:15 PM   #2023
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
Shout out to Connor from Access Courier (accesscourier.ca) who runs a mobile bike repair service. My bottom bracket was dying and after luckily running into him fixing a neighbor's bike, I had him come fix mine last week. Great having the bike mechanic come to your front driveway vs going to a bike shop. Great guy and great experience. His Dutch cargo bike is also cool to see.
He also swapped tires and tuned up my partner's cruiser bike and then tuned up the indexing on my road bike too. Excellent service, easy to get an appointment, and a reasonable price. Highly recommend!

Sadly I didn't get to see the cargo bike as he had an appointment in the NE to go to afterwards so he was in a truck
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 10:47 AM   #2024
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So I finally got word my Voltbike Yukon 750 is on its way. Excited to get using this bike as my daily commuter to work almost all year round.

Since we don’t have any sort of bike shop where I live I am going to have to do maintenance myself and figured I should get a bike stand. What do you guys recommend I should be looking at? I am new to the would of bike maintenance. The bike is around 70lbs with the battery.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:14 PM   #2025
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
So I finally got word my Voltbike Yukon 750 is on its way. Excited to get using this bike as my daily commuter to work almost all year round.

Since we don’t have any sort of bike shop where I live I am going to have to do maintenance myself and figured I should get a bike stand. What do you guys recommend I should be looking at? I am new to the would of bike maintenance. The bike is around 70lbs with the battery.
Prepare to have alot of down time. Colt,surface 604 etc are super unreliable. Bad controllers ,bad displays bad B.M.S. and bad torque sensor's.

That's how I got my foot in the door to start in bike shops. I repeaired ebikes and built ebikes. I had bikes myself that could get up to 80+km/hr. They are so unreliable those brands I was fixing 3 to 5 a day. The shop I worked eventually had to pull the plug on fixing cheap ebikes because it takes to long to trouble shoot and fix . The fixes were expensive and made no money on the labour. I actually stopped working on them in general and got rid of my evikes because unless you have a bosch or shimano bike they all suck for reliability.
Sorry to tell you this but maintenance wise pop over here and have a read because that's the majority of problems you will get.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=21

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 08-02-2020 at 06:55 PM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 05:19 PM   #2026
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yikes. He hit a couple of cyclists.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1290486115669929987
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 08:04 PM   #2027
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

What an a-hole.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:28 PM   #2028
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like it was just not strapped down well enough and shifted off to one side. Which is still his fault, obviously, but I would guess more of a careless accident with a bad outcome rather than gross negligence. Either way, he's going to get sued. I have no idea if that sort of thing would be covered by insurance.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:31 PM   #2029
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm guessing he had it going over the back rack, and it looks like he only had it strapped down in the bed, in which case I consider that pretty negligent.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 08:42 PM   #2030
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, looking at it again you might be right. That's pretty stupid.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:18 PM   #2031
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I'm guessing he had it going over the back rack, and it looks like he only had it strapped down in the bed, in which case I consider that pretty negligent.

The news story said a strap broke. Can’t believe he didn’t notice though.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7249872/c...o-sky-highway/
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:51 AM   #2032
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Heading to Fairmont for some holidays in a couple of weeks and noticed an absence of trails on Trailforks app.

Is there really nothing there? Is it worth taking our bikes with us?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:06 AM   #2033
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Heading to Fairmont for some holidays in a couple of weeks and noticed an absence of trails on Trailforks app.

Is there really nothing there? Is it worth taking our bikes with us?

Theres enough there to warrant bringing the bikes. Just head up to the camping area by the springs and jump onto Montezumas revenge and down BS (pop bottle) and onto B&B which are some decently fun DHs leading to the Spirit trail which is a series of fun XC trails heading south to Canal Flats (east side of Columbia lake : beautiful) but the bulk of them loop back at about the half way point. Teen Spirit etc.will loop you back north. I also found a bunch of fun trails that lead up to the ski hill and not sure if on trailforks or not but it is hard to get too lost in there. Bumped into a lot of bears though For the 20-30 minute drive hard not to go to Swansea and ride South Park at least one of the days to along with Hula Girl and Meat Grinder. That climb up is still one of my favorites and is never busy. Whole valley is fun though with High Roller just north of Invermere and Johnson/Klusifer just west and Radium has a bunch to.
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 08:17 AM   #2034
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

The wife and I got our bikes serviced by Andy at Bicycle Repair Hub, really great work. Turns out my bike was a clusterf--k thanks to whoever assembled it at SportChek, it rides like a dream now.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 01:32 AM   #2035
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hi all,

I was hoping a few of you cycling pro's can provide some guidance on some cycling nutrition for me. I have had a few instances the last few weeks while on the bike that has me a little concerned. A brief history.....

I am not a hardcore road cyclist or anything but I enjoy some leisure rides. Normally in the 20-30 km range at approx 20 km/h.

I really enjoy indoor cycling and in the past have consistently worked out fairly hard and had no issues maintaining a strong performance for 75+ minutes. I haven't worked out in the gym for a while due to Coronavirus and I have done some nice rides on the Calgary pathways in recent weeks.

A few weeks ago I did a 30+ km ride on a decent breakfast a few hours earlier. A large bowl of steel cut oats with some fruit and chia seeds but that was late morning and I cycled later on in the afternoon. Towards the end of the ride I was just gassed, out of energy, shaking and sweating and just didn't have anything left in me. I chalked it up to low blood sugar and not eating enough to sustain me. I only drink water and no sports drinks.

Today I had a decent breakfast of some fruit, yogurt, toast and than I had a late lunch with a good combination of protein, carbs and fats. About am hour later I than went out for a ride with a friend and was riding at a really good clip for about 25 minutes. I than attacked a hill that was approaching and than I just crashed after that. I was shaking, dizzy, disoriented, sweating and tired. I needed to lay down and after a passerby offered a Cliff bar, I felt better after about 20 minutes. I than completed the rest of the ride at a slower pace for about 30 minutes and felt fine.

I am having a hard time pinpointing the problem here. I have a fairly healthy appetite and I eat very healthy the vast majority of the time and hydration is never an issue.

I am not that hardcore of a cyclist or attempting anything out of my physical abilities. On recent blood tests over the years it appears that my blood sugar levels are within normal range and I have no evidence of diabetes.

A few friends are suggesting sports drinks and all that jazz but I am not riding in intense conditions and for hours on end or anything, just some basic rides. The strange thing is the contrast between riding indoors and having the ability to sustain a strong performance and the outdoor rides where I have been just GASSED on two trips and appear to get tired a little more quickly.

Sorry about the long post but I was hoping somebody had some potential advice!!

Thanks in advance
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:20 AM   #2036
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picked up a 27 speed Rocky Mountain Whistler 70 hybrid from a friends friend for $225.00, lots of extras (headlight,computer, comfy seat, under seat storage pouch..etc). It's 3 or 4 years old and I don't know a lot about bikes but after I got home with it google told me I should be in jail for theft.

Spoiler!
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 06:20 AM   #2037
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds stolen.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 06:22 AM   #2038
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Curves2000, go see your doctor. Seriously. Get medical advice from a professional. Nearly passing out after an hour ride is not normal.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 07:24 AM   #2039
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Hi all,

I was hoping a few of you cycling pro's can provide some guidance on some cycling nutrition for me. I have had a few instances the last few weeks while on the bike that has me a little concerned. A brief history.....

I am not a hardcore road cyclist or anything but I enjoy some leisure rides. Normally in the 20-30 km range at approx 20 km/h.

I really enjoy indoor cycling and in the past have consistently worked out fairly hard and had no issues maintaining a strong performance for 75+ minutes. I haven't worked out in the gym for a while due to Coronavirus and I have done some nice rides on the Calgary pathways in recent weeks.

A few weeks ago I did a 30+ km ride on a decent breakfast a few hours earlier. A large bowl of steel cut oats with some fruit and chia seeds but that was late morning and I cycled later on in the afternoon. Towards the end of the ride I was just gassed, out of energy, shaking and sweating and just didn't have anything left in me. I chalked it up to low blood sugar and not eating enough to sustain me. I only drink water and no sports drinks.

Today I had a decent breakfast of some fruit, yogurt, toast and than I had a late lunch with a good combination of protein, carbs and fats. About am hour later I than went out for a ride with a friend and was riding at a really good clip for about 25 minutes. I than attacked a hill that was approaching and than I just crashed after that. I was shaking, dizzy, disoriented, sweating and tired. I needed to lay down and after a passerby offered a Cliff bar, I felt better after about 20 minutes. I than completed the rest of the ride at a slower pace for about 30 minutes and felt fine.

I am having a hard time pinpointing the problem here. I have a fairly healthy appetite and I eat very healthy the vast majority of the time and hydration is never an issue.

I am not that hardcore of a cyclist or attempting anything out of my physical abilities. On recent blood tests over the years it appears that my blood sugar levels are within normal range and I have no evidence of diabetes.

A few friends are suggesting sports drinks and all that jazz but I am not riding in intense conditions and for hours on end or anything, just some basic rides. The strange thing is the contrast between riding indoors and having the ability to sustain a strong performance and the outdoor rides where I have been just GASSED on two trips and appear to get tired a little more quickly.

Sorry about the long post but I was hoping somebody had some potential advice!!

Thanks in advance
I'll repeat Fuzz, but you definitely should see a doctor. That kind of fatigue after a solid day of eating and only an hour of riding is not normal.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #2040
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Curves2000, go see your doctor. Seriously. Get medical advice from a professional. Nearly passing out after an hour ride is not normal.

Agreed here too. Not to make you paranoid... but there's a reason people should slowly progress from being an indoor workout person to outside plus discuss concerns with their doctors.

Your health is at risk... you do not want to pass out whilst on the bike and then have a crash, cause one, or be hit due to wobbly riding. Your friends/family probably like you enough to want you around longer.

Things to consider as well:
- get into doctor asap and explain. You may need to push for testing.

- general health... get some blood testing done, including iron level, hemacrit, white blood count, etc... and get the results printed for yourself.

- cardio pulmonary check... lungs and heart working ok?

- nutrition - perhaps a mal-absorption issue as well? or food sensitivity. This is a real thing. Been there...

- I am not understanding if you're riding during the heat of the day... and getting overheated and getting into trouble that way. Perhaps you need to get some flashy bright lycra kit and look the part?

- general hydration... water, coffee, alcohol, etc...

I'd be interested in hearing generally what you find out.

Stay fit and healthy dude.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote