Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-28-2023, 11:50 AM   #1361
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitykillr View Post
How long did the porting take? I put the sim card into my daughter's phone and need to wait on the porting taking place.

The "temp phone number" works
Mine didn't at all I called their 1-800 number and then it went through instantly after.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 07:37 PM   #1362
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, that's interesting. We're out in the bush, camping, and reception isn't great. At some point, both Rogers help/tech and also "Judy from the office of the President of Rogers" called and left messages. The tech guys or back office or whomever is dealing with the billing issue, have info on our open ticket with them. Judy wants to talk about the complaint we filed with the CCTS 2 days ago, lmao. That complaint got a bit of jump out of people, apparently. It was too late in the day (EST) to call either of them, so hubby will call tomorrow morning to see what's up.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 09:16 PM   #1363
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I found it very easy to go to a Rogers store at Market Mall and transfer over the lines. The guy made it easy and no connection fees or anything. The old phone numbers transferred within 30 minutes.

You can only do the Rogers store route if Rogers hasn't shipped new sim cards out to you yet.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 12:40 PM   #1364
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I like how Freedom handles overages. You can use all you want, they just slow it way down. So if you need to load a map in a pinch, or send a message, no problem, just need to wait a bit longer.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 09:44 PM   #1365
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shaw internet/tv service has been terrible in Lethbridge all week. I've been sick at home and internet and tv have dropped several times per day. When you're working and you lose internet you get a bit irritated but when you're sick your irritation level is worse!

I did support chat with them on Monday night. 2 hours of them not knowing anything so they provisioned my router and said I should be patient until the next day.

Tuesday was the same so I contacted them again. Oh, there is a problem in your area. I mentioned that their site didn't mention anything and I was told it only indicates outages... we'll I'm having several outages per day and I'm sure others are I'd it's a problem in my area. We'll, here, lets provision your router anyway... I asked what is the ETR for the repair and was told that they don't even have an ETA, wait until the next day....

Wednesday and much of the same. I didn't bother contacting them but noticed their outages page lists Lethbridge as having outages in multiple areas and my neighborhood is on the list. That message was posted at 5pm. It's been frustrating to watch/not watch/watch/not watch the Flames game tonight.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 09:59 AM   #1366
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Shaw internet/tv service has been terrible in Lethbridge all week. I've been sick at home and internet and tv have dropped several times per day. When you're working and you lose internet you get a bit irritated but when you're sick your irritation level is worse!

I did support chat with them on Monday night. 2 hours of them not knowing anything so they provisioned my router and said I should be patient until the next day.

Tuesday was the same so I contacted them again. Oh, there is a problem in your area. I mentioned that their site didn't mention anything and I was told it only indicates outages... we'll I'm having several outages per day and I'm sure others are I'd it's a problem in my area. We'll, here, lets provision your router anyway... I asked what is the ETR for the repair and was told that they don't even have an ETA, wait until the next day....

Wednesday and much of the same. I didn't bother contacting them but noticed their outages page lists Lethbridge as having outages in multiple areas and my neighborhood is on the list. That message was posted at 5pm. It's been frustrating to watch/not watch/watch/not watch the Flames game tonight.
Been having the same issues with them. Had someome come out a few weeks ago.

TV would be super slow or start buffering the picture would freeze. Internet was getting slow even though I upgraded to the 1GB.

Someone came in and changed the coax cable said they went bad and everything should be better and faster. He changed the boxes on the TV. While trying to add one the internet stopped working lol and the box wouldn't connect so he had to get a new one.

For a few weeks it was good and we are now back to the same issues.

How does this happen? Did Rogers come in and put in garbage in the lines to mess things up?
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 08:33 AM   #1367
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Been having the same issues with them. Had someome come out a few weeks ago.

TV would be super slow or start buffering the picture would freeze. Internet was getting slow even though I upgraded to the 1GB.

Someone came in and changed the coax cable said they went bad and everything should be better and faster. He changed the boxes on the TV. While trying to add one the internet stopped working lol and the box wouldn't connect so he had to get a new one.

For a few weeks it was good and we are now back to the same issues.

How does this happen? Did Rogers come in and put in garbage in the lines to mess things up?
We upgraded to Blue Curve a few months ago (Calgary). The past couple of weeks we have been dropping connectivity quite often as well. Both TV and internet. Frustrating when you have people WFH.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 09:08 AM   #1368
Underdog
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

SE Calgary, have been having the same issues for a month now. Actually, ever since we switched to Blue Curve it hasn't been great. Rogers is doing a great job of convincing me to finally give Telus a try when our contract is up.
Old 11-24-2023, 12:02 PM   #1369
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

My contract is up but I don't have Telus Fibre to my area yet AND Telus Mobility really screwed things up for my mom and then when my mother-in-law moved they screwed things up for her in a worse way... I feel left with one option and it sucks.
Old 11-24-2023, 12:33 PM   #1370
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My contract is up but I don't have Telus Fibre to my area yet AND Telus Mobility really screwed things up for my mom and then when my mother-in-law moved they screwed things up for her in a worse way... I feel left with one option and it sucks.
I tried to switch to Telus as well but they don't have anything outside the basic 25MBPS.

This is ridiculous.
Old 11-24-2023, 07:29 PM   #1371
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I tried to switch to Telus as well but they don't have anything outside the basic 25MBPS.

This is ridiculous.
Telus has been trying to get me to switch to them. They tell me that they'll automatically switch me to the Fibre plan in a couple months because it won't take long until it's installed.... I've heard that a few times over the past couple of years.
Old 11-24-2023, 07:42 PM   #1372
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

A guy who knocked on my door was trying to tell me that all my neighbours are complaining about their cable Internet and that their non-fibre plan would be better than my gigabit plan because "cable Internet is shared" lol. I keep telling them to not talk to me until they get fibre in my area.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 08:15 PM   #1373
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
A guy who knocked on my door was trying to tell me that all my neighbours are complaining about their cable Internet and that their non-fibre plan would be better than my gigabit plan because "cable Internet is shared" lol. I keep telling them to not talk to me until they get fibre in my area.
Yeah, the shared cable hasn't really been a thing for at least a decade now. I've really surprised the Telus sales people a couple of times when I told them I don't notice internet congested after everyone in the neighbourhood gets home from work and school.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2023, 08:35 AM   #1374
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep in mind TELUS is the same company suing rogers/shaw for fibre plus false advertising, but has sold their copper internet and TV under "Optik" for almost a decade now. TELUS would train their employees to #### all over shaws cable but when it comes to copper to downplay the difference in fibre.

Sleaze merchants.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2023, 05:01 PM   #1375
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone still having issues?

This is brutal. How do you upgrade and get worse service.

I WFH most of the time and its wild how its slowed down.

The TV stop working half the time. A bunch of the family changed phones and once they connect I get a notification iPhone has connected to a super strong wifi connection, while nothing is working.
Old 12-13-2023, 09:12 AM   #1376
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone still having issues?

This is brutal. How do you upgrade and get worse service.

I WFH most of the time and its wild how its slowed down.

The TV stop working half the time. A bunch of the family changed phones and once they connect I get a notification iPhone has connected to a super strong wifi connection, while nothing is working.
My apologies if some of these suggestions have already been tossed around (Im sure they have at some points in the past, but Ill throw them out again).

A couple simple things Shaw customers on the new Ignite equipment should be doing to improve their situation- 1/ most definitely use a network cable to your ignite tv box. Wired is always going to be more stable and reliable than wifi. The equipment will auto connect to your wifi out of the box, which gives people a quick and seamless set up, but you should connect it back to your Ignite Gateway with a CAT6- and wire in all your Tv related devices for that matter: PS, Apple tv, Firestick etc. Unfortunately, the new gateways only have 2 ports, so you might have to buy a cheap gigabit switch over Amazon.

2/ As for wifi, the gateways will automatically have band steering turned on, but in my strong opinion, this should absolutely be disabled and 2.4GHz/5GHz separated, after which you rely mostly on the 5GHz connection. 2.4GHz is very unreliable in highly congested neighbourhoods with all the competing networks. This can be problematic in a basement of if you live in a large house- at which point you either have to look at options for extending your network or simply going with 2.4GHz when you are far from your gateway.

These suggestions are particularly relevant for the new equipment, as I believe band steering until somewhat recently was off by default (?), and the tv boxes were not wireless (coax).

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 12-13-2023 at 09:21 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2023, 10:00 AM   #1377
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
My apologies if some of these suggestions have already been tossed around (Im sure they have at some points in the past, but Ill throw them out again).

A couple simple things Shaw customers on the new Ignite equipment should be doing to improve their situation- 1/ most definitely use a network cable to your ignite tv box. Wired is always going to be more stable and reliable than wifi. The equipment will auto connect to your wifi out of the box, which gives people a quick and seamless set up, but you should connect it back to your Ignite Gateway with a CAT6- and wire in all your Tv related devices for that matter: PS, Apple tv, Firestick etc. Unfortunately, the new gateways only have 2 ports, so you might have to buy a cheap gigabit switch over Amazon.

2/ As for wifi, the gateways will automatically have band steering turned on, but in my strong opinion, this should absolutely be disabled and 2.4GHz/5GHz separated, after which you rely mostly on the 5GHz connection. 2.4GHz is very unreliable in highly congested neighbourhoods with all the competing networks. This can be problematic in a basement of if you live in a large house- at which point you either have to look at options for extending your network or simply going with 2.4GHz when you are far from your gateway.

These suggestions are particularly relevant for the new equipment, as I believe band steering until somewhat recently was off by default (?), and the tv boxes were not wireless (coax).
I will give this a try.

I have those pods as well 3 of them, when I got them they told me to put them in dead areas. When I called Rogers together with Shaw yesterday none of them worked, it took a while but they finally came online and I put them in open areas. Only 1 pod had devices connect.

Pretty frustrating as they said the equipment is all the same.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:13 AM   #1378
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I will give this a try.

I have those pods as well 3 of them, when I got them they told me to put them in dead areas. When I called Rogers together with Shaw yesterday none of them worked, it took a while but they finally came online and I put them in open areas. Only 1 pod had devices connect.

Pretty frustrating as they said the equipment is all the same.
Yes, if you are getting a spotty connection, even when standing right next to your Gateway, I would definitely suggest creating separate SSIDs for each 5GHz and 2.4, and then by trial and error to confirm you are indeed getting a faster and more reliable connection on the 5GHz one. I am fairly confident you will.

For that matter, if you have those pods set up through out your house, you probably do not need 2.4GHz activated at all, unless you want a printer connected over wifi- in which case you likely need to keep 2.4GHz enabled, provided you cannot you connect your printer through one of the other options (wired once again always being the most stable)
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:28 AM   #1379
anyonebutedmonton
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post

Just to add on, Rogers has a guide for Band Steering issues that I found helpful: https://www.rogers.com/support/inter...coda-ac-modems
anyonebutedmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to anyonebutedmonton For This Useful Post: