Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Let's talk about Headphones

So I was tempted to take the Black Friday thread off topic for this question, but considering the amount of people in that thread seemingly interested in headphones, I thought maybe this could be a standalone topic.

Last Christmas I got the Bose Quiet Comfort 15 over ear headphones and have gotten tons of use and immensely enjoyed them over the past year. If anyone wants more details on them or their performance feel free to let me know. They are great noise cancelling (best I’ve ever used) headphones and the sound quality is fairly good, but have been thinking about getting a second pair devoted strictly to sound quality now that I have my noise cancelling needs covered and am looking for some recamendations.

I don’t want to spend an excessive amount of money, but would be willing to drop up to $400 on the right pair, but would only be willing to pay that if they blow my Bose’s out of the water re: sound quality. I prefer over ear headphones, but if someone knows of an amazing pair of in ear phones I would consider them as well.

And since this is the “headphones” thread, feel free to post pics/reviews/details of your latest headphone purchase, ones you want to buy, ones you’d recommend, ones you’d never recommend, etc.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you looking for a home use headphone? If so that does give you a lot more choices with open style cans which generally have better sound quality overall.

The Bose QC15's are impressive just because how they have solid sound quality that doesn't drop because of the noise canceling (which is crazy good).
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like the ones geared towards music production (studio monitoring headphones) by the likes of Shure, Sennheiser, AKG, Audio Technica, etc.

They produce the true sound of the actual mix and do not add any extra bass (hello Dr. Dre). Also, when I listen to my music I do not put in any extra EQ so that I can hear what the mixing and mastering engineer's interpretation of the mix.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed with lazypucker, but one thing I'd add is that high-end ($400) headphones aren't really going to shine if you don't have the power to drive them. Plenty are designed with high impedance, meaning they won't sound very good when connected to portable devices.

Luckily there are some cheap-ish solutions now if you don't want a full on headphone amp, which are sometimes priced in the thousands. I have the headroom bithead DAC, but they don't sell them anymore. The fiio line of DAC's seem to be getting lots of positive reviews however, and start at about 60 bucks!
http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-USB-Porta.../dp/B003N0XDT4
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Are you looking for a home use headphone? If so that does give you a lot more choices with open style cans which generally have better sound quality overall.

The Bose QC15's are impressive just because how they have solid sound quality that doesn't drop because of the noise canceling (which is crazy good).
No not home use, I am going to be travelling for a long time and my only music source will be headphones, I am wanting to buy a second pair so that my Bose can be used mainly for travelling (on planes, trains, buses, etc.) and the new ones can be used for when I simply want to listen to music while walking around town/at night/etc.

I am aware, unfortunatley, that this is going to limit the kind of phones I'm able to buy.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I like the ones geared towards music production (studio monitoring headphones) by the likes of Shure, Sennheiser, AKG, Audio Technica, etc.

They produce the true sound of the actual mix and do not add any extra bass (hello Dr. Dre). Also, when I listen to my music I do not put in any extra EQ so that I can hear what the mixing and mastering engineer's interpretation of the mix.
+1 for headphone type but never ever mix or master with headphones on if your producing music. Studio monitors are the only way to go for mastering.

I like to keep a few types of headphones in stock so I can listen to my mixes once mastered to see what they are going to sound like on multiple types of headphones.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would also like to add that the media you are playing plays a big role in the sound quality. A 192k mp3 file is far greater in sound quality than your typical 44k mp3 file (about 1 Mb per minute). Similarly, a wav file (CD format - about 20 Mb per minute) is far greater quality than any mp3 files. So, the more compressed the files are, the less quality they sound...
The Following User Says Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good technical info in here so far, keep it coming guys.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
+1 for headphone type but never ever mix or master with headphones on if your producing music. Studio monitors are the only way to go for mastering.

I like to keep a few types of headphones in stock so I can listen to my mixes once mastered to see what they are going to sound like on multiple types of headphones.
I agree on mixing with monitor speakers. But also hearing out your mix on headphones (and maybe even earphones) will help in getting a sense of how your music appears for more than 80% of the general listener (who are just using head pieces all the time)...

Last edited by lazypucker; 11-27-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Agreed with lazypucker, but one thing I'd add is that high-end ($400) headphones aren't really going to shine if you don't have the power to drive them. Plenty are designed with high impedance, meaning they won't sound very good when connected to portable devices.

Luckily there are some cheap-ish solutions now if you don't want a full on headphone amp, which are sometimes priced in the thousands. I have the headroom bithead DAC, but they don't sell them anymore. The fiio line of DAC's seem to be getting lots of positive reviews however, and start at about 60 bucks!
http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-USB-Porta.../dp/B003N0XDT4
Unfortunately the closest thing to the one you're suggesting in Canada looks to be from Canada Computers for $80 before shipping. Wonder if there's any local spots to get a better hands on for these guys.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Unfortunately the closest thing to the one you're suggesting in Canada looks to be from Canada Computers for $80 before shipping. Wonder if there's any local spots to get a better hands on for these guys.
Ahh, good point. Headphonebar (based in Vancouver) has the E11 for $65 plus $5 shipping. D'oh, I'm tempted again

http://www.headphonebar.com/fiio-e11-kilimanjaro/

edit - but it's not a DAC..

Last edited by calumniate; 11-27-2013 at 11:10 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Axe would likely have. Or something similar.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ahh, good point. Headphonebar (based in Vancouver) has the E11 for $65 plus $5 shipping. D'oh, I'm tempted again

http://www.headphonebar.com/fiio-e11-kilimanjaro/

edit - but it's not a DAC..
Tempted to grab the E17 as it is a DAC and has been rated to blow the E7 out of the water. Are sales a common thing or more so regular price drops between models?
Old 11-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm tempted with the E17 now as well. Seems cheaper today to go through headphonebar than amazon or ebay at this time..

Sorry OP to have derailed slightly
Old 11-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm tempted with the E17 now as well. Seems cheaper today to go through headphonebar than amazon or ebay at this time..

Sorry OP to have derailed slightly
No worries, interesting conversation.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #16
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I agree on mixing with monitor speakers. But also hearing out your mix on headphones (and maybe even earphones) will help in getting a sense of how your music appears for more than 80% of the general listener (who are just using head pieces all the time)...
Great point, this is why I keep about 6 pair of headphones of different price points and technical specs.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

People with big cans on in public so they can listen to music on their iPod or phone look ridiculous. No, I don't care how good the sound is through them. You look like a clown.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #18
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cans?

What are big cans, open cans, and closed cans (assuming there must be closed as I've seen reference to open cans).

Also, nosie cancelling. Why would you want earphones that don't cancel outside noise? Wouldn't whatever you're listening to be better with outside noise cancelled?

Good idea for a thread.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
People with big cans on in public so they can listen to music on their iPod or phone look ridiculous.
There is nothing wrong for women with big cans to listen to music on their iPhones in public
Old 11-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #20
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
There is nothing wrong for women with big cans to listen to music on their iPhones in public
Wrong thread
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote