Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #101
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How can you possibly know that hundreds of individual players with different perceptions, preferences as well as experiences when travelling to NHL cities would all have those ones at the bottom of their lists? Nonsense.

This little narrative because of one Kadri nixing needs to end.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:53 PM   #102
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Now he's looking at being traded away from a great situation and opportunity, not because of anything he's done, but because the GM made a couple of big mistakes.
That's an interesting (and dramatic) history lesson you just gave us!

Brodie is being moved because, it's a salary cap world, and there are three young defensemen looking to make a push into the roster. Aren't you always practicing preaching going with youth and not locking up aging players? Or do you just go with whatever is the most sensationalist?

The Flames are certainly in a cap crunch but that could be solved by just moving out Frolik and/or buying out Stone, tight but solved. By all reports the cap will go up next season because of the new US TV deal and with all Hamonic, Stone, Frolik and Brodie coming off the books with no major RFA a long term contract to Brodie if they wanted isn't that difficult. Especially for someone willing to give up money so he "stays put".

Again moving one of Brodie was written on the wall for some time now and it has nothing to do with James Neal. But that's not as dramatic a story I suppose. Eric Francis, is that you?
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #103
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
Whatever. It's a business. Players know the game the second they decide to get an agent and go for it. Not every player is going to get drafted and play for that team their entire careers. If a player/team negotiate a salary and it's less than what he wanted/couldve gotten, that's on the player/agent, not on the team.

People need to take the feelings of players out of the equation. They are commodities that have value. You need value to trade to invest in more value.
This, plus coming off of his 13-14 season, Brodie had 1.5 good seasons (31 points and 14/47 points in the lockout year) and one pretty mediocre one where he spent time in the AHL (14/54 NHL points). His contract was a pretty fair market value deal at the time, which he signed a year in advance of being an RFA.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:58 PM   #104
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I feel bad for Brodie.

He's been with the organization through a lot of ####ty years, probably gave up some money over the life of his contract to make sure he stayed put, played well last season and helped Giordano have his best season ever.

Now he's looking at being traded away from a great situation and opportunity, not because of anything he's done, but because the GM made a couple of big mistakes.

I'd be pretty pissed frankly if I was going to be traded from the team I'd spent 7 years with because James Neal just showed up and is getting paid more than I am and can't play hockey anymore.
Or ...

Three of the Flames best young players are defenseman and NHL Circle of Life and cap management suggests you move an older player with a higher cap hit to move forward.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 01:02 PM   #105
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Could he not have resolved the Kadri NTC issue earlier in the negotiation process? If he didn’t, that would be a Jay Feaster move for which he has only himself to blame.
Completely different cases.
Feaster was the GM of the player that had the NTC
BT isn't the GM of the player that had the NTC in the leafs deal

It is up to the Leafs as to when to approach the player and ask if he will waive. And I suspect any team would not want to do that until they have a trade consummated.

People are in a rush to point fingers and assign blame without actually thinking through what the reality of situations actually are.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 01:03 PM   #106
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Or ...

Three of the Flames best young players are defenseman and NHL Circle of Life and cap management suggests you move an older player with a higher cap hit to move forward.
And while I am no Brodie hater, he certainly hasn't made himself untouchable.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:10 PM   #107
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
How can you possibly know that hundreds of individual players with different perceptions, preferences as well as experiences when travelling to NHL cities would all have those ones at the bottom of their lists? Nonsense.

This little narrative because of one Kadri nixing needs to end.
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nh...182227244.html

According to the article (ESPN, Custance, 2015), the top five places for NTC in 2015 were:

Edmonton
Winnipeg
Buffalo
Ottawa and Toronto

I am surprised Habs and Flames weren't on the list. I don't see Winnipeg and Edmonton becoming any more attractive.

Quote:
According to Custance, the runners-up are: New Jersey, Florida (“Guys don’t like going to a place where the building is empty and they can’t win”), Arizona (“Phoenix has been somewhat common, partially because of the instability of ownership the last few years”).
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BigBrodieFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 01:10 PM   #108
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Or ...

The word wingers works just as well as defenseman (sic) in your sentence
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #109
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
And aren't they trying to move Frolik?
Old 07-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #110
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
*best young prospects if you're going to be pedantic.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:25 PM   #111
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
Whatever. It's a business. Players know the game the second they decide to get an agent and go for it. Not every player is going to get drafted and play for that team their entire careers. If a player/team negotiate a salary and it's less than what he wanted/couldve gotten, that's on the player/agent, not on the team.

People need to take the feelings of players out of the equation. They are commodities that have value. You need value to trade to invest in more value.
and this is why players don't normally take "home town discounts"
why should they?

Last edited by GordonBlue; 07-04-2019 at 01:27 PM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:27 PM   #112
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Or ...

Preaching to the choir here, but all things considered if the flames didn't have Neal I'd be fine with having Brodie walk away at the end of the year if the team is close to as competitive as they were last year.

I'm almost positive that if the flames had an extra 10 million they wouldn't be hot to trot to trade tj.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #113
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Where did this come from?

Zucker did not have any trade restrictions at the trade deadline.

He really didn't have a choice in the matter.
I might be misremembering, but I could swear part of the rumour that came out after was that the deal collapsed for whatever reason and that Zucker didn't really want to leave because of a family situation.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:37 PM   #114
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
and this is why players don't normally take "home town discounts"
why should they?
Exactly! A hometown discount sure worked out well for Andrew Ference......
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #115
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
And aren't they trying to move Frolik?
Flash is right. Neal last year was pretty much wasted salary, a guy that could have been replaced by almost any winger in the entire league, and that screws over other players who delivered value for the dollars they are paid. Maybe Brodie, maybe Frolik. Everybody should be pissed off about Neal, circle of life talk aside
Old 07-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #116
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Preaching to the choir here, but all things considered if the flames didn't have Neal I'd be fine with having Brodie walk away at the end of the year if the team is close to as competitive as they were last year.

I'm almost positive that if the flames had an extra 10 million they wouldn't be hot to trot to trade tj.
Preaching to the choir, but for the dramatic sob story about TJ Brodie.

Decisions have to be made. If Neal scored 20 goals last year you wouldn't be trying to tie him to the story.

They are where they are.

Hopefully Neal bounces back, Tkachuck gets signed to a contract that works, Brodie gets moved in a deal for futures and that help restock the cupboards, and the young defenseman are able to take on a greater role.

Every team has succession issues and depth problems. No need to make it into a Harlequin Romance Novel.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 01:43 PM   #117
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Flash is right. Neal last year was pretty much wasted salary, a guy that could have been replaced by almost any winger in the entire league, and that screws over other players who delivered value for the dollars they are paid. Maybe Brodie, maybe Frolik. Everybody should be pissed off about Neal, circle of life talk aside
I think people are pissed off about Neal.
But if every debate ends with "well if they didn't have Neal..." then it's not very productive.
They do. It's part of the situation they are in. So how do they best deal with that?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #118
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I might be misremembering, but I could swear part of the rumour that came out after was that the deal collapsed for whatever reason and that Zucker didn't really want to leave because of a family situation.
I remember hearing on the radio that it was nothing to do with Zucker's willingness to come to Calgary. The problem was they couldn't agree on the return and just ran out of time.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:46 PM   #119
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I remember hearing on the radio that it was nothing to do with Zucker's willingness to come to Calgary. The problem was they couldn't agree on the return and just ran out of time.
So many different rumors about this one
I thought the Flames thought the deal was done, but it didn't get filed in time. Why is what we've never heard. Did someone eff up? Did Minny have second thoughts?
Did a fax machine jam?
It sounded like something went wrong on Minny's end. But that they thought the deal was done and return agreed to.
I suppose where deals can fall apart in the final minutes is around things like conditions - if there was a conditional pick in there or something.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 01:47 PM   #120
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think people are pissed off about Neal.
But if every debate ends with "well if they didn't have Neal..." then it's not very productive.
They do. It's part of the situation they are in. So how do they best deal with that?
The sweater allergy is a complex plan to execute, but you didn’t hear it from me.