Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #301
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Just powered through the Valkyria Chronicles 4 demo on Switch. I think I'm gonna pick it up on Steam, the first game was top-notch and I liked the second one too (never played the third).
Im almost half way through Valkyria Chronicles 4 and it has been excellent. Exactly what I expected from the formula. If you liked any of the previous games in the series (except Revolution, which was a terrible off shoot) you know exactly what you are in for.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #302
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Is anyone else playing Forza Horizon 4?
It's fantastic so far.
Yeah, I'm loving it, even the multiplayer. The Forzathon Live events are fun, and because everyone else is ghosted there's no griefing.

I've played both on PC and Xbox One X and it I've had no issues at all.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 07:24 AM   #303
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Yeah I'm liking it, but on PC it's hard to get the controls mapped to my liking. Are you on xbox?

Also, Dirt Rally 2.0 has been announced.. so excited. Dirt Rally has been my fav game of the decade:

https://ca.ign.com/articles/2018/09/...y-20-announced
I'm playing on PC as well- it's absolutely gorgeous and runs like butter.
I did have one issue with graphics not loading when I was playing with unlimited FPS (when driving 400 km/h), but it seems that locking in the FPS has fixed that.

I can't say that I've tried to change the controls - I'm playing on a PS4 controller right now.

I haven't tried a Forzathon event yet (probably will tonight - excited for some Autumn rally races). For multiplayer - is there any way to do races other than team vs team? It seems like they've taken out some of the types from FH3.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Esoteric For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #304
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really enjoying Assassin's Creed Odyssey so far. I skipped out on Origins so I haven't played their "new style" yet but man is it so much better and more engaging.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #305
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I'm really enjoying Assassin's Creed Odyssey so far. I skipped out on Origins so I haven't played their "new style" yet but man is it so much better and more engaging.
I'm curious if anyone that's now played both origins and odyssey has any thoughts so far? I liked Origins but never got that far, for some reason it just didn't grab me
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:55 AM   #306
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I'm curious if anyone that's now played both origins and odyssey has any thoughts so far? I liked Origins but never got that far, for some reason it just didn't grab me

I’m in the same boat. Hearing lots of good things about Odyssey, but I couldn’t get into Origins- even after 5-6 hours.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:01 AM   #307
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I liked origins a lot but took a while to warm up to the radically different fighting system and they really seemed to put more emphasis on combat instead of stealth. Is odyssey a better balance?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #308
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

so, just got a ps4 for my son. I'm an old guy who doesn't really play video games anymore. Used to play a little when I was much younger. On PC it was everquest and on the first gen playstation, it was NHL, and some driving games. It's something I would do once in a while when the weather is crap. What are some good games that are easy enough to play and enjoyable to keep me entertained for an hour? Oh, and don't cost a fortune. I don't mind playing an older version of something.
For myself, my 8 year old son, and games we can play together. I got him plants vs zombies when I bought the console.

Last edited by bossy22; 10-09-2018 at 12:14 PM.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #309
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
so, just got a ps4 for my son. I'm an old guy who doesn't really play video games anymore. Used to play a little when I was much younger. On PC it was everquest and on the first gen playstation, it was NHL, and some driving games. It's something I would do once in a while when the weather is crap. What are some good games that are easy enough to play and enjoyable to keep me entertained for an hour? Oh, and don't cost a fortune. I don't mind playing an older version of something.
For myself and my 8 year old. I got him plants vs zombies when I bought the console.
LEGO games are good (i.e. LEGO Jurassic World). Easy to play, co-op if you want... etc.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 12:29 PM   #310
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh no. Hopefully they don't gut them like they did to Rare.

https://kotaku.com/sources-microsoft...ian-1829614135
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #311
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For myself, my 8 year old son, and games we can play together. I got him plants vs zombies when I bought the console.
Minecraft for the ps4 has a split screen mode. Its a bit of an older game, but children were obsessed with it not too long ago. Looks like used copies are under 10 dollars on Amazon.

Rayman Legends is a platformer with a 2 player mode it got rave reviews. https://www.metacritic.com/game/play...rayman-legends It costs about 30 bucks brandnew on Amazon.

Here is a good article on the topic.

https://www.lifewire.com/best-playst...-games-4050785

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 10-09-2018 at 12:48 PM.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #312
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sony's AAA first party games are all pretty accessible, and short enough to not be a timesink:

- Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection + Uncharted 4
- Spider-Man
- The Last of Us: Remastered

I'd also suggest checking out Valkyria Chronicles Re-Mastered, Valkyria Chronicles 4, and Okami HD

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #313
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Spiderman - what a game!

I had a bit trouble with it at first, keeping up with the pace, figuring out combos, etc., but after maybe 3-4 hours it became pretty natural. I finished it yesterday, 100% completion, all but one trophy <!!!> (I spent all my goddamn challenge tokens on upgrades instead of suits purchases and the remaining--mostly chasing the drones--are just too hard to get gold)

Trophy-hunting wasn’t a [huge-ass] chore in this game like 99% of games – and wouldn’t that be awesome if it became the new norm? if i recall, trphies in Horizon Zero Dawn were pretty achievable. and incidentally, I don’t really give a toot about trophies per se, but unlocking easter-eggy things in the game can be quite rewarding.

aside from the repetitiveness of some of the side quests, I thought the game was terrific. And in a stupid living-vicariously-through-videogames-kind-of-way, its feels like the most intimate tour of New York I’ve ever been on/

will probably do a second playthrough to unlock suits as i’m basically just killing time for Red Dead2. I earned that platinum!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #314
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Bought this co-op spaceship battle game about a year ago and my two sons & I still play it. Truly a great game and I would imagine it's probably only around five or six bucks in the PSN store, even at ten it's totally worth it.

Sent from my SM-T377W using Tapatalk

Last edited by Iceman57; 10-10-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iceman57 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #315
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Stardew Valley is coming to mobile. Out on iOS on the 24th, Android will follow. It's only $11. Guess I'm buying it for the fourth time.

The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 06:55 PM   #316
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I had a bit trouble with it at first, keeping up with the pace, figuring out combos, etc., but after maybe 3-4 hours it became pretty natural. I finished it yesterday, 100% completion, all but one trophy <!!!> (I spent all my goddamn challenge tokens on upgrades instead of suits purchases and the remaining--mostly chasing the drones--are just too hard to get gold)
I did the exact same thing as you but only needed 6 more challenge tokens to buy the last two suits. I ended up doing a couple combat ones a dozen or more times. Basically you can't be hit once and need to rack up combos so you can't defeat the guys too quickly. Anything you can add-on to increase your focus lets you use finishing combos which are worth more.

I haven't got platinum on many games (just the Infamous trilogy) but Spider-man was just too much fun.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #317
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Fallout 76 gameplay videos are now available. I like Many A True Nerd's take on it. It looks like the game could be fun, but boy does that nuke look awful. Hopefully that'll be fixed before launch.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #318
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Story time;

So after almost 2 years the fan on my PS4 Pro had been getting increasingly louder. It literally sounded like a jet taking off and it wasn't just when I was playing a Pro game like GoW but it would happen while in simple NHL 19 menu screens. After seeing the PS4 fan was perfectly clean, I figured out it was most likely the lack of thermal paste on the Heatsink but I didn't feel like opening up my Pro and applying a new coat of liquid metal, lol.

I bought my Pro at Best buy and thankfully had purchased the extended warranty as well. When I described my issue to them, Best buy wanted to send my Pro to Vancouver to be fixed as per their procedure but I spoke to a manager and made enough of a fuss for them to agree to my following proposal. Instead of allowing Best buy to ship off my PS4 for three weeks, I explained to them that I wanted to take this opportunity to upgrade the hard drive on my noisy Pro. I had already previously installed a 2TB BarraCuda HDD but recently had purchased a 2TB FireCudda SSHD hybrid drive. I had considered spending a small fortune on a SSD drive but the Firecudda I found was on sale, it had great reviews and was only about twenty bucks more then my previous HDD drive so I figure what the hell.The second manager I spoke to at Best buy finally understood my logic and agreed to my demands, lol.

I purchased another PS4 Pro & warranty from Best buy, installed the new SSHD drive, updated the firmware, hooked up both PS4's through my Asus router and transferred my data from one Pro to the other. It took roughly three hours and once finished I reinstalled the original Toshiba 1TB hard drive in my old PS4 Pro and took it back to Best buy for a full refund. First of all the new Pro is so dam quiet, it's almost unbelievable while the hybrid drive has made everything so much faster. There's literally nine menu screens before you get to the EASHL club menu screen but with the SSHD I breeze right through them all. Long story long, if you're considering a hard drive upgrade I highly recommend the Seagate 2TB FireCudda SSHD or if your PS4 is loud and you couldn't remember if was always that way, it wasn't, lol.

Last edited by Iceman57; 10-11-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iceman57 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:33 PM   #319
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Hrm. Odyssey is more of the same for combat heavy AC games. It’s fun enough but it’s not what I was hoping for. Guess the stealth gameplay will be taking a back seat from here on out.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #320
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

New system breaking exploit on PS4. Just receiving the message will cause your PS4 to require a factory reset.

https://www-vg247-com.cdn.ampproject...ng-consoles%2F
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote