Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #1041
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Thinking about cutting the cord, since the only thing I watch on TV is hockey.

What is the cheapest way to watch the Flames in Calgary?
Go to the bar and order a water.

Or read the thread as there is numerous suggestions including answer to your questions like 4 posts up
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #1042
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Do you not watch hockey?
I'll watch the Flames if they're on HNiC, but other than that not really.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:37 AM   #1043
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
If you've got Telus, I've got Pik TV for 2 years $5/month with a $5/month credit (so free) including 5 specialty channels then I added the sports package which includes all of the Sportsnet channels and TSN for $14/month.

It's a bit of a cop out to cutting the cord, but at least it's not traditional cable.
How is Pik TV? I just got Telus internet and was looking at this. The problem is that it seems it can only be used on a browser, through an app or on Apple TV. If there was a Roku app I would love that.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #1044
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Yes, you have to use either an Apple TV, app or browser or their Pik TV player which I think is an Android box. No support for Roku.

It’s been great on our Apple TV. When I renewed my internet contract I got an Apple TV 4K for free, so it was a no brainer for me.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:19 AM   #1045
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Thinking about cutting the cord, since the only thing I watch on TV is hockey.

What is the cheapest way to watch the Flames in Calgary?

The absolute cheapest way is if you have family or friends that have a cable subscription and don't use their online login for anything, then you can use it for Sportsnet Now, otherwise it's $20/mo. Or you can browse through the different sports streams on reddit if you want to sail the high seas
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 10:28 AM   #1046
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

You used to be able to pay for NHL Centre Ice and then switch your region with VPN so the Flames weren't blacked out. I had only very limited success with this, as the NHL app would detect the VPN and it wouldn't work.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:40 AM   #1047
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
You used to be able to pay for NHL Centre Ice and then switch your region with VPN so the Flames weren't blacked out. I had only very limited success with this, as the NHL app would detect the VPN and it wouldn't work.

This still works, I share an NHL login with a buddy and had no trouble watching the TSN 3 broadcast of the game last night through it, using Private Internet Access VPN
Old 09-25-2019, 08:47 PM   #1048
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last nights game wasn't blacked out in Calgary...I watched it on shaw
Old 09-25-2019, 08:58 PM   #1049
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pre-season games aren’t subject to blackouts are they?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #1050
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Last nights game wasn't blacked out in Calgary...I watched it on shaw

Well on the NHL app it was blacked out until I turned the VPN on. And I know it worked fine last year for watching Flames games on Gamecenter
Old 09-26-2019, 03:16 PM   #1051
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shaw usually does free Centre Ice during the preseason and first couple of weeks of the season. Telus does not and the game was blacked out on Telus.

The live stream worked perfectly well though, so it didn't matter.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:12 PM   #1052
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I signed up for the free trial of Shudder because I wanted to check out the new Creepshow. The show was classic, cheesy horror and I liked it well enough but Shudder needs to improve its compression and audio before I’d subscribe.

I started watching It Follows and the scene on the beach at the start was unwatchable. The audio was only in stereo as well. It might be good for niche fans but I don’t like horror that much.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #1053
Reggie28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So I’m down in Texas and I’m having problems watching flames games on my new LG TV (model 55UM73) and am looking for some advice.

1. If use NHL.Com/tv on the LG browser, the game action plays properly, but when a commercial loads, the browser crashes. Is there an easy way to prevent the commercials from loading? If I’m really on the ball and anticipate the commercial, the browser will not crash.

2. I can use airplay and send my iPhone screen to the TV, but when I log in to the nhl app it asks me to buy the US package and doesn’t recognize my Canadian login. Maybe I need to login in Canada first? Any work around here?

3. On both my laptops I can log in to NHL TV and watch the game on the small screen, but not the best solution. Both laptops are work issued, the more powerful one does not have an hmi output. The TV is Widi comparable, but I haven’t made this connection work. The less powerful laptop has an HDMI output, but the game looks a little choppy on the big screen.

4. Telus app doesn’t work down here and I haven’t been able to get the Sportsnet app to work either.

Thanks for any advice!
Reggie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:47 AM   #1054
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Will sportsnet now block our local games?

And how would I watch on a Roku tv?
stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:09 PM   #1055
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie28 View Post
So I’m down in Texas and I’m having problems watching flames games on my new LG TV (model 55UM73) and am looking for some advice.

1. If use NHL.Com/tv on the LG browser, the game action plays properly, but when a commercial loads, the browser crashes. Is there an easy way to prevent the commercials from loading? If I’m really on the ball and anticipate the commercial, the browser will not crash.

2. I can use airplay and send my iPhone screen to the TV, but when I log in to the nhl app it asks me to buy the US package and doesn’t recognize my Canadian login. Maybe I need to login in Canada first? Any work around here?

3. On both my laptops I can log in to NHL TV and watch the game on the small screen, but not the best solution. Both laptops are work issued, the more powerful one does not have an hmi output. The TV is Widi comparable, but I haven’t made this connection work. The less powerful laptop has an HDMI output, but the game looks a little choppy on the big screen.

4. Telus app doesn’t work down here and I haven’t been able to get the Sportsnet app to work either.

Thanks for any advice!
Not sure how much you travel to US but would highly recommend a VPN if you do. There are several good ones that are cheap, relatively, and would allow you to use your Canadian CI anywhere you go.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 08:14 AM   #1056
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie28 View Post

Thanks for any advice!
The NHL apps have a place to click to enter your Rogers login, and I believe that is intended to work in the US.

Buy a cheap roku or fire tv for $40. They will work much better than trying air play, smart tv or laptop hdmi solutions.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #1057
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at the apple nhl app. You have to go into settings now, and don't click login, scroll all the way to the bottom and there is a place for Canadian Users:NHL Live to sign in.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:36 AM   #1058
rvd123
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Caststreams

Thank me later
rvd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #1059
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Since Hulu just released a new app for Android TV, I figured I'd give it a try via the gift card method, and wow is there a lot of great stuff on it. Content blows away Netflix and Amazon Prime, at least for TV shows, and the interface is the best of any of them. Quality is great through my VPN, and I found a site that sells Hulu gift cards in CAD ($33 for a $25 value card, which is almost exchange par). I'll be keeping this as long as they don't crack down on it
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #1060
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Since Hulu just released a new app for Android TV, I figured I'd give it a try via the gift card method, and wow is there a lot of great stuff on it. Content blows away Netflix and Amazon Prime, at least for TV shows, and the interface is the best of any of them. Quality is great through my VPN, and I found a site that sells Hulu gift cards in CAD ($33 for a $25 value card, which is almost exchange par). I'll be keeping this as long as they don't crack down on it
Did you have to sideload the app? It won't let me install via the play store, even using a VPN. I've got it working in a browser.

Last edited by DownInFlames; 10-17-2019 at 07:36 PM.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote