Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #21
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

No, not literally. As I said, "pretty much". (I know how protective the internet can be about whedon)
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #22
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm indifferent about Whedon. No worries.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #23
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

yeah came in here to say I felt the premiere was full of cliches, nothing really original at all
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #24
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
Did it literally use every cliche?
Yes, it literally did.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #25
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't blown away by this episode, but then I wasn't blown away by the pilot for Fringe, and that ended up being one of my favorite sci-fi shows ever. Sometimes the shows with the most entertaining pilots are heavy on concept and light on a lasting structure. Finding a balance between a monster-of-the-week formula and the larger plot arcs will be what will make it work. I'm not really a comic book fan (seen the Avengers and associated movies, but that's about it) so I felt like this episode was slogging through a bit of baggage. I do worry that a team of six is too big for good storytelling, especially early on.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #26
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

'Agents of SHIELD' ratings a Hulk smash

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/25/ag...hield-ratings/

Fall’s buzziest new drama had a super-powered premiere Tuesday night: ABC’s Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. — a show so big it takes two company names to officially describe it — delivered 11.9 million viewers and a 4.6 adults 18-49 rating. That makes S.H.I.E.L.D. TV’s highest-rated drama debut in nearly four years (since ABC’s V premiere in November, 2009).

That adult demo number is particular impressive given the show’s time slot. S.H.I.E.L.D. had to self-start at 8 p.m. — no lead-in — and ran against huge competition: NBC’s The Voice and CBS’ NCIS, two of the most popular shows on television. And how did it stand up to those rivals? S.H.I.E.L.D. (recap here) actually managed to tie the two-hour The Voice overall in the demo (4.6) — and beat it head-to-head during the 8 p.m. hour — while trouncing the return of NCIS in the demo (3.4), though obviously losing among total viewers (19.4 million).
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I actually really liked it, I expected a high level of cliche and cheese. It is afterall a comic book premise.

I thought as I always do with Whedon that the dialogue was well written and the interpersonal conversations were really good.

The new guy seems pretty stiff acting wise, but they might want him to be that way.

The only part I didn't like was when they rolled out the flying delorean at the end.

It was good to see a couple of Whedon veterans in terms of Gunn from Angel and Book from Firefly. It doesn't look like he's going to be a regular on the show since they removed his superpowers, nor is what's her head from HIMYM

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #28
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

The premiere didn't keep my interest. They need to start building characters so we shall see where it is in 4-5 episodes. The Marvel catch will only last so long.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #29
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

We watched it tonight (DVR). Fun enough to watch and see how it develops. Kids loved it.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #30
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Agent Coulsen's reaction times and flexibility seemed awful good. Just sayin'...
Old 09-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #31
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwo_threefour View Post
Agent Coulsen's reaction times and flexibility seemed awful good. Just sayin'...
Why wouldn't a life model decoy have some bitchin' reaction times and flexibility. I think which ever studio has the rights to Fantastic Four owns Skrulls so I would wager that Coulson is a Life Model Decoy.

With regards to the show... love love loved it. All the wit and humor of a whedon show (along with Whedonverse actors in Cameo's) + Superheros and secret agents. What's not to like.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #32
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I can't put my finger on what I didn't like, but something left me with a "meh".. Maybe it all seemed a little forced, or a little flat.. but willing to give it some time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #33
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Why wouldn't a life model decoy have some bitchin' reaction times and flexibility. I think which ever studio has the rights to Fantastic Four owns Skrulls so I would wager that Coulson is a Life Model Decoy.

With regards to the show... love love loved it. All the wit and humor of a whedon show (along with Whedonverse actors in Cameo's) + Superheros and secret agents. What's not to like.
Could be, or Tahiti was an illusion and he was healed in another realm at great cost.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #34
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I can't put my finger on what I didn't like, but something left me with a "meh".. Maybe it all seemed a little forced, or a little flat.. but willing to give it some time.
This was my feeling as well. I thought to myself, I just don't know if it would have been able to stand on it's own. As if any enjoyment from the pilot I had were because it was in the Marvel Cinematic U.

"ZOMG, he mentioned Extremis!!" and so forth.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #35
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Could be, or Tahiti was an illusion and he was healed in another realm at great cost.
This was the impression that I got.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #36
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was okay and has some potential, but I think there's some really worrying signs. The cast outside of Skye and agent Coulson seemed really meh, and that can kill pretty much any series.

However, this is really worrysome.

Quote:
Looks like ABC's highly anticipated Joss Whedon-produced drama is in need of a superhero. A source close to the show tells us that the latest scripts that have come in have been so bad, Whedon had to pull off a page one rewrite just an hour before the table read. Given that Whedon is supposed to be transitioning full showrunner responsibilities to his brother Jed Whedon and sister-in-law Maurissa Tancharoen so that he can focus on his 83 other film projects, this ain't a good sign.
Seriously, Marvel has become one of the biggest franchises in entertainment history, and this is the way the series launch is written? Also, seems like Whedon isn't actually going to do much with the series in the long run.

I don't doubt this rumour either, the dialogue seemed very flat, with a lot of "insert joke here" lines that felt really unfinished. Exactly what you get when you don't give a writer time to polish their stuff.

I'll give it some time though.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #37
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should try and get Chris Evans to star on the show, as Captain America and the Agents of Shield would sell a heck of a lot better than what they have now. Evans doesn't seem to be doing that much else, and if they paid him top dollar he'd make great money career wise compared to the movies he makes. They also could get cameos out of actors like Ruffalo, Jackson, and perhaps Renner. The bigger names probably aren't options, but those four in particular could make the occasional appearance on the show (based on their movie schedules).

I thought the show was alright, and pretty much had the same thoughts as everyone else. Skye and Coulson were really the only interesting characters (although the European chick was pretty hot), and it does suffer from Smallville syndrome where mentioning bigger themes is the only thing that occasionally peeked my interest.

If they can't get Evans or other Avengers cast-mates on the show they really need to consider bringing in other actual Marvel characters in eventually. I know some are best saved for movies, but there are smaller characters that would work better in television format. Heck why not have a storyline that brings Thomas Jane back in as The Punisher? I bet he'd jump on board to do that, and then eventually transition his appearance into more Punisher movies down the road now that Marvel/Disney owns his rights. The Avengers hype will only give this show so much life, and eventually they will need to find other ways to keep viewers interested.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #38
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Big 'meh' from me too. Crappy acting as well.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #39
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm willing to be patient simply because I think a comic book themed show was the show Whedon was meant to run. His writing style just meshes well with the quick one liner Spider-Man comic book dialogue.

But in general I agree; the show was just "meh". By which I mean, unpolished. The "Smallville" comparison is totally appropriate. Other than guys like Gregg and Ron Glass (who can't help but be awesome at everything) the cast was generally unable to make what they were given work. Looking through, other than Gregg and the Asian pilot lady, they seem to be pretty inexperienced actors. I watched the Avengers before I watched the show and the comparison was obviously laughable.

There's so much potential for cameos, though. Just tons.

Last edited by 19Yzerman19; 09-30-2013 at 08:57 AM.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #40
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So stupid question, the chemical in the caterpiller was the same stuff from Iron Man 3 right?

Considering I just watched that for the first time this weekend.