Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #21
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Anyone caught the documentary of the " Dyarlov Pass Incident "? That whole scenario is ####ed up enough to cause some serious thought into life forms we may be unaware of.
Why? Granted, I only just googled it and did a quick read, but it sounds like 9 hikers died on a mountain, with 6 being from hypothermia and 3 from physical trauma.

People kill each other with such regularity, and in such gruesome ways, what makes this incident any different?

Ogopogo, Bigfoot, and Lochness Monster sightings have completely stopped since the day every person started carrying a high-definition camera 24/7. I think that speaks volumes.

Aliens, on the other hand, must exist somewhere out there. We can't be the only grain of sand on this beach that has bacteria on it.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:07 PM   #22
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Ogopogo, Bigfoot, and Lochness Monster sightings have completely stopped since the day every person started carrying a high-definition camera 24/7. I think that speaks volumes.
Amazing isn't it, we have old 8mm films of UFO's when one person in a thousand had a camera that was rarely carried with them but now we get nothing. I suppose a ufologist would spin it as the aliens have the tech to disable the camera's

Quote:
Aliens, on the other hand, must exist somewhere out there. We can't be the only grain of sand on this beach that has bacteria on it.
Odds are probably even greater for life, I remember Tyson shutting down a religious freak claiming there was no proof of life outside of our world made by God by stating:

"Just because when I dip a glass in the ocean and can't catch a whale doesn't mean they don't exist"

Pretty funny
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #23
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^ everyone in the trip died. After cutting open their tent and fleeing in no clothing. And these were apparently very experienced technical insitutute outdoorsy people who would be well aware how dangerous that would be, yet something was so frightening they fled in a panic. The ones who didn't die from hypothermia had injuries 'unable to be caused by a human' due to the force necessary to inflict the wounds. Apparently no alcohol present, no drugs, no other tracks in the snow.
It's actually a super (morbidly) interesting event, and I haven't read of a consensus cause.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #24
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
People touting physical evidence too (hair, bones, alien alloys, etc). You could get away with that but now with DNA testing, mass spectrometers, etc that kind of evidence doesn't show up much anymore.

When it does, it's mostly bears.

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.o.../1868/20171804
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 09:33 PM   #25
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
^ everyone in the trip died. After cutting open their tent and fleeing in no clothing. And these were apparently very experienced technical insitutute outdoorsy people who would be well aware how dangerous that would be, yet something was so frightening they fled in a panic. The ones who didn't die from hypothermia had injuries 'unable to be caused by a human' due to the force necessary to inflict the wounds. Apparently no alcohol present, no drugs, no other tracks in the snow.
It's actually a super (morbidly) interesting event, and I haven't read of a consensus cause.
I don't know the particular incident but often people who freeze to death are found without clothes. There's a final push of blood to the extremities that makes you feel warm. Then you die. Naked and Afraid!
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:38 PM   #26
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Ex-Navy Pilot Describes Encounter With Tic-Tac-Shaped UFO

Quote:
A former commanding officer of a U.S. Navy squadron claims to have seen a flying object about the size of his F/A-18 fighter plane that resembled a white Tic Tac.

David Fravor said he saw the object after a break in a routine training mission off the California coast on November 14, 2004.

The former officer claimed the unidentified 40-foot-long wingless object moved rapidly, unlike anything he had ever seen in the air, and he has not forgotten it since.
Quote:
The ex-Navy pilot explained that he was on a training flight mission around 13 years ago when the incident occurred.

Controllers on one of the Navy ships on the water below reported objects that were dropping out of the sky from 80,000 feet and going "straight back up," Fravor told ABC. “So we’re thinking, OK, this is going to be interesting.”

An object then appeared on the radar as another aviator spotted the unusual flying object. “I was like, ‘Dude, do you see that?’” Fravor recalled.

“We look down, we see a white disturbance in the water, like something's under the surface, and the waves are breaking over, but we see next to it, and it's flying around, and it's this little white Tic Tac, and it's moving around—left, right, forward, back. The radar immediately starts getting jammed, and all of a sudden it takes off," he continued.

Fravor also said the planes flew lower to investigate the object. That was when the object started to mirror their movements before quickly disappearing, he added.

"As we start to cut across, it rapidly accelerates, climbs past our altitude and disappears," Fravor said. "When it started to near us, as we started to descend towards it coming up, it was flying in the elongated way, so it's a Tic Tac, with the roundish end going in the forward direction. I don't know what it is. I don't know what I saw. I just know it was really impressive, really fast, and I would like to fly it."

Adding to the bizarre experience, Fravor claimed the disturbance in the water also vanished with the object.

"I have never seen anything in my life, in my history of flying, that has the performance, the acceleration,” Fravor said. “Keep in mind, this thing had no wings.”
http://www.newsweek.com/ufo-sighting...-object-752359

Old 01-08-2018, 10:05 PM   #27
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I don't know the particular incident but often people who freeze to death are found without clothes. There's a final push of blood to the extremities that makes you feel warm. Then you die. Naked and Afraid!
Yes, read the recent NY Times article about the lost Indian climbers on Everest. Hypothermia causes you to believe you are burning up.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...st-deaths.html

Last edited by troutman; 01-08-2018 at 10:12 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:19 PM   #28
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 01-08-2018, 10:27 PM   #29
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Secret UFOs, Green Rays and Why ET Is Not Coming to Christmas Dinner
An article in The New York Times revealed a recent secret Pentagon program to investigate UFOs. But science suggests they are best explained by optical illusions such as "solar mirages" and the elusive phenomena known as "green flashes"

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...istmas-dinner/

Last edited by troutman; 01-09-2018 at 09:49 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 11:10 PM   #30
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Yes, read the recent NY Times article about the lost Indian climbers on Everest. Hypothermia causes you to believe you are burning up.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...st-deaths.html
Yeah, that's what I find particularly odd (if wiki references are to be believed). 9 people left their shelter without appropriate clothing. Were paradoxical undressing to be the cause, it would imply all 9 outdoorsmen allowed themselves to all get hypothermic within their shelter, without anyone realizing what was really occurring. And then some of the last to die coming to their senses and trying to cover up with the deads apparel. Just all super creepy to me.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #31
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Secret UFOs, Green Rays and Why ET Is Not Coming to Christmas Dinner
An article in The New York Times revealed a recent secret Pentagon program to investigate UFOs. But science suggests they are best explained by optical illusions such as "solar mirages" and the elusive phenomena known as "green flashes"

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...istmas-dinner/
I am not sure how you get a lock with F/A-18 or a jammed radar with a "green flash". Also, I think the onus is on Scientific American to dissect Fravor's first-hand account of the "tic-tac" - through scientific means - before making statements like it was just natural phenomena.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #32
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I am not sure how you get a lock with F/A-18 or a jammed radar with a "green flash". Also, I think the onus is on Scientific American to dissect Fravor's first-hand account of the "tic-tac" - through scientific means - before making statements like it was just natural phenomena.
The article was not talking about Fravor's case specifically, but pilot accounts in general.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #33
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Interesting article on Space.com about the formerly secret government UFO program

https://www.space.com/39325-us-gover...am-legacy.html

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:11 AM   #34
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you like trippy space stuff and consider whether we've been visited before, book yourself a trip to Peru and fly over the Nasca lines.

This was a moment in my life where I still cannot explain how a civilization of that age was able to do what they did without being up in the air.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #35
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
If you like trippy space stuff and consider whether we've been visited before, book yourself a trip to Peru and fly over the Nasca lines.

This was a moment in my life where I still cannot explain how a civilization of that age was able to do what they did without being up in the air.
We tend to underestimate the inginuity and creativity of these ancient civilizations. We are the same people, just with More technology. Especially on a cosmological timeline.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #36
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I met Maria Reiche when I visited the Naza lines in 1994. She would have been 91 then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Reiche

Around 1946, Reiche began to map the figures represented by the Nazca Lines and determined there were 18 different kinds of animals and birds. After Kosok left in 1948, she continued the work and mapped the area. She used her background as a mathematician to analyze how the Nazca may have created such huge-scale figures. She found these to have a mathematical precision that was highly sophisticated.[1] Reiche theorized that the builders of the lines used them as a sun calendar and an observatory for astronomical cycles.

Because the lines can be best seen from above, she persuaded the Peruvian Air Force to help her make aerial photographic surveys. She worked alone from her home in Nazca. Reiche published her theories in the book The Mystery on the Desert (1949, reprint 1968), which had a mixed response from scholars. Eventually scholars concluded that the lines were not chiefly for astronomical purposes, but Reiche's and Kosok's work had brought scholarly attention to the great resource. It is widely believed that they were used as part of worship and religious ceremonies related to the "calling of water from the gods."[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazca_Lines#Purpose

Determining how they were made has been easier than figuring why they were made. Scholars have theorized the Nazca people could have used simple tools and surveying equipment to construct the lines. Archaeological surveys have found wooden stakes in the ground at the end of some lines, which support this theory. One such stake was carbon-dated and was the basis for establishing the age of the design complex. Prominent skeptic Joe Nickell, refuting the "ancient astronaut" hypothosis of Erich von Däniken, has reproduced the figures using tools and technology available to the Nazca people. Scientific American called his work "remarkable in its exactness" when compared to the actual lines.[14] With careful planning and simple technologies, a small team of people could recreate even the largest figures within days, without any aerial assistance.[13]
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #37
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I was just at California's lines, the Blythe Intaglios:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blythe_Intaglios
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #38
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

FAA investigates JAL Flight 1628 UFO Sighting

Associated Press, 1986

original source | fair use notice

Summary: The Federal Aviation Administration has stepped up efforts to determine the source of wavering lights that dogged a Japan Air Lines cargo jet across Alaska's night sky for nearly an hour in November.

Quote:
ANCHORAGE (AP) -- The Federal Aviation Administration has stepped up efforts to determine the source of wavering lights that dogged a Japan Air Lines cargo jet across Alaska's night sky for nearly an hour in November. "We're looking at it to ensure that somebody didn't violate airspace we control," FAA spokesman Paul Steucke said Sunday. "We looked at it about six weeks ago, but since then we've gotten a lot of public interest, so we went back and re-interviewed the pilot. He provided us with additional information."

Veteran pilot Kenji Terauchi told investigators Friday through an interpreter that two of the lights were small, perhaps no larger than eight feet across. He said the third light was on an aircraft, a huge darkened globe with a diameter of perhaps two aircraft carriers placed end-to-end, Steucke said.

The pilot said the large UFO showed up on his cockpit weather radar. But images on military radar screens at the time were dismissed as "clutter," and a blip that showed up on FAA screens was analyzed as a coincidental "split image" of the aircraft, Steucke said.

Radar tapes, transcribed interviews and radio messages are to be sent to the FAA in Washington, D.C., later this week for review, Steucke said.
Quote:
Steucke said the pilot reported he dimmed cockpit lights to ensure he was not seeing a reflection.

"He flew for about six minutes before he decided to report anything," Steucke said. "I can't say I blame him for that." Terauchi radioed Anchorage FAA air controllers, who direct all aircraft traffic in the state, except for planes near airports, Steucke said. Fairbanks controllers checked their screens but saw only Flight 1628, Stuecke said.

The pilot reported the object was staying with him and controllers told him to take any evasive action needed. Terauchi decreased altitude to 31,000 feet, but the lights went down with him "in formation," Steucke said.

South of Fairbanks, Terauchi turned the plane in a complete circle to see if the lights would follow. "That was pretty clever," Steucke said. "It allowed him to eliminate any natural phenomenon which would have stayed stationary."
Quote:
The FAA has ruled out alcohol or drugs as a factor in the sightings, Steucke said. "They were rational, professional pilots. I'd describe them as very sincere, very intense," Steucke said.

"I've been here 12 years, I've been with the FAA three, and I've talked to people who've been here seven or eight years and they don't recall anything like this," he said.

The FAA started investigating the report after the sighting, he said, but not as a top priority. "Basically, the public interest heightened the interest level. I wasn't hiding it, but I wasn't standing on a rooftop announcing it," he said.
http://www.ufoevidence.org/documents/doc1321.htm
Old 01-10-2018, 02:05 PM   #39
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I love that JAL UFO case, one of the most intriguing ones in recorded history. The fact that the FAA picked it up on radar is worth acknowledging too (even if they dismissed it as a "split image"), as the recent F/A-18 disclosure story also had radar picking up the reported unknown objects.

Two separate cases, understandably, but tracking UFO's is a huge accomplishment given their ominous speeds and maneuverability.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #40
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

JAL 1628: Capt. Terauchi's Marvellous "Spaceship"

http://badufos.blogspot.ca/2014/07/j...arvellous.html
Quote:
The FAA has concluded that the unidentified object on radar now appears to be an unexplained split image of the JAL Boeing 747 and not a separate object .... The review of radar data indicates that no second object was present and represents a reversal of earlier FAA statements that a second object was confirmed on radar. "The bottom line is that this tells us that we don't have any radar confirmation of the object that the pilot said he saw," Steucke said

The FAA data package reveals Terauchi to be a "UFO repeater," with two other UFO sightings prior to November 17, and two more this past January, which normally raises a "caution flag" for experienced UFO investigators. The JAL pilot is convinced that UFOs are extraterrestrial and when describing the light(s) Terauchi often used the term spaceship or mothership.
Quote:
During his January 2 interview with FAA officials, Terauchi said that he believed the "mothership" intentionally positioned itself in the "darkest [easterly] side" of the sky because "I think they did not want to be seen." This enabled the UFO to see the 747 "in front of the sunset and visible for any movement we make." In his report to the FAA, he expressed the hope that "we humans will meet them in the new future"... [On January 11] he again reported spotting unusual lights in roughly the same area while on a repeat flight from Paris to Anchorage...
[Terauchi] always failed to mention that two other aircraft in the area that were vectored into the vicinity of the JAL 747 to try to spot the UFO he had been reporting were unable to see any such object... [Flight Engineer Yoshio Tsukuba] "was not sure whether the object was a UFO or not"... When the copilot [Takanori Tamefuji] was asked if he could distinguish these lights "as being different" from a star, he replied: "No."

The bottom line is, Terauchi's own flight crew saw only 'lights,' and other aircraft checking out the situation saw nothing unusual.
http://www.badufos.com/

Source documents:
https://www.debunker.com/historical/TerauchiJAL1628.pdf

Last edited by troutman; 01-10-2018 at 03:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post: