Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2017, 04:21 AM   #61
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Definitely don’t apply opposite rudder to the turn direction. You’d still be adding left rudder in a left turn to keep everything coordinated. Roll left, left rudder to keep coordinated, apply power and pull back to get the turn going quickly. We’d practice steep turns at 45 degrees usually, and the goal was to hold your altitude throughout the turn. If I recall correctly exam tolerance was +/- 100’.
I've been doing it all wrong for 36 years!

Seriously, there will always be a point where you would need right rudder in a long left turn to keep altitude, the prop factor makes sure of this and of course the BALL never lies. so stomp it!

P.S. Please sir, when goofing around don't try a knife edge maneuver with left wing down and left rudder(close to the tarmac anyway)
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:25 AM   #62
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Talk about an insensitive #######

98.5 SportsHub host mocks Roy Halladay’s death, calls him “moron,” makes plane crash noises

Quote:
“It angers me. Someone, who, I don’t know, is so cavalier about life and just doesn’t appreciate the tenuousness of life and is willing to screw around with life and death? Especially when you have children, or a family?”

“You’ve got to get your rocks off by whatever it is you do that cheats death.”

“That guy’s like the bad guy to me. You’ve got a family! And you’re going to screw around in a little toy plane?”

“When this guy went down in the plane yesterday, I said, ‘I don’t know the details, but hopefully this isn’t JFK Jr., somebody who doesn’t know what he’s doing, screwing around with a plane and killing himself for all intents and purposes.’ And it just sort of angers me. You care that little about your life? About the life of your family? Your little joyride is that important to you that you’re going to risk just dying?”
Quote:
“You’re a multimillionaire with a loving family, and to you, you have to go get that thing where you can divebomb from 100 feet to five above the water with your single-engine plane with your hand out the window. ‘Wheee! Wheee! Yeah, man, look at the G-force on this! I’m Maverick! Pew pew pew! Yeah, man, look at this, this is so cool.’ And you die! Splat!”

“He’s not a militarily-trained pilot, he’s not a professionally-trained pilot, he’s a Joe Q. Citizen who buys a plane that folds up and you can put in your garage and that’s amphibious, ‘Wheee! Oh look, I just landed on the water, everybody! I’m going to tweet it!’ Splat. You’re dead. With two kids. Moron.”

“I find it offensive that you’re that cavalier about life. That it’s more important that you’re going to get your rocks off.”

“As a 40-year-old grown-ass man, you’re still doing that, to the point where you’ve got to get in planes and race cars and all that crap? I’m sorry, dude, you’re on your own. I’ve got no sympathy for you.”
http://awfulannouncing.com/local-net...day-death.html
Old 11-09-2017, 04:45 AM   #63
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Felger decided to spend over 10 minutes blaming Halladay for his own death thanks to his decision to fly a plane, calling him a “moron” and a “jackass” who was “cavalier about life,” making plane crash noises and saying “I’ve got no sympathy for you,” and “he got what he deserved,” complaining about people calling this a tragedy, referencing this TMZ video, and mocking Dale Earnhardt’s 2001 death for good measure with an “I root for the wall.”
Jesus, this Felger idiot should be shot and piss'd on, truly a waste of skin for humankind.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:55 AM   #64
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The guy is insensitive but completely wrong.

When an ordinary dude that cant throw a fast ball crashes his car or motorcycle and dies while driving too fast, people call him a punk. People will feel sorry for the dead guys family but will say things like the punk got what he deserved and are glad that no one else died.

Thankfully Hallady didnt have any victims on board his plane and didnt crash into any boats on the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Talk about an insensitive #######

98.5 SportsHub host mocks Roy Halladay’s death, calls him “moron,” makes plane crash noises

http://awfulannouncing.com/local-net...day-death.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Jesus, this Felger idiot should be shot and piss'd on, truly a waste of skin for humankind.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:57 AM   #65
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe he was practicing landing and taking off. I don't see a lot in that video that would definitively say he was showboating.

If he was buzzing boats at 10 ft that would be one thing, but from what I'm seeing he was off on his own doing the same maneuver repeatedly. That sounds like he had a plan. Really hard to judge based on one 30 sec video from a mile away.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:13 AM   #66
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_guy View Post
With no training or equipment there's little these people could do to help and there's a good chance that they'll put themselves in danger trying to help.
Agree completely. In the video you see that the plane is pretty mangled with ripped up metal edges. The water looked pretty murky too. Hard to tell where the cockpit even was.

We all tell ourselves that we'd jump in and be a hero if we were in such a situation, but in reality our instinct for self preservation takes over.
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #67
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
So these planes are allowed to be flying that close to the water? With boats in the area, that seems really dangerous. Was everything he was doing legal? If not, why wasn't anything done about it since there were people who said they saw him doing dangerous maneuvers all week.
A quick Google of the FAA regs show this regarding minimum altitude:

" c) Over other than congested areas – An altitude of 500 feet above the surface except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In that case, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure. "

Bit of a grey area in this case as he was over open water. I have only viewed the one video on TMZ but from that it's really difficult to say whether he was within 500' of boats etc.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...g_Aircraft.pdf
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #68
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

at first I thought the radio host was being insensitive - but then I thought he is giving his opinion (maybe it was a little over the top). if you don't like his opinion, then tune him out.

as a retired pro athlete roy had lots of money and time and likely a huge belief in his abilities and perhaps he over-estimated his piloting skills.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #69
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can promise you it's not within regulations to dive down to 5' above the water and go back up repeatedly. It's very poor taste to make jokes about it but it's seems extremely reckless..."he has been flying like that all week" one local said. Endangered himself and others...being good at throwing a baseball doesn't change that.

Last edited by dino7c; 11-09-2017 at 10:42 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #70
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Maple Leafs paid tribute to Doc last night before their game with the Wild:

snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2017, 02:49 PM   #71
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post

" c) Over other than congested areas – An altitude of 500 feet above the surface except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In that case, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure. "

Bit of a grey area in this case as he was over open water. I have only viewed the one video on TMZ but from that it's really difficult to say whether he was within 500' of boats etc.

It's an amphibious aircraft, it routinely flys close to water. I really think there's more to this story than people are assuming or speculating.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:00 PM   #72
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post

Damn, more restrictions on my god damn drone than this plane which is really marketed towards inexperienced pilots.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:00 PM   #73
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
National Transportation Safety Board investigator Noreen Price placed no blame for the Nov. 7 accident near Tampa, simply laying out the facts as gleaned from the plane's data recorder and eyewitnesses. A final report with conclusions could take one to two years.

Price says Halladay, 40, had taken off from a lake near his Tampa-area home about 17 minutes before the crash, taking his ICON A5 to 1,900 feet (580 meters) before dropping to 600 feet (180 meters) as he neared the coastline. He then dropped to 36 feet (11 meters) when he reached the water. While flying at about 105 mph (170 kph), Halladay skimmed the water at 11 feet (3.3 meters), flying in a circle before climbing to 100 feet (30 meters), the plane's data showed.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...er-report-says
Old 01-19-2018, 05:04 PM   #74
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Autopsy: Roy Halladay had morphine and ambien in his system during deadly plane crash.

Quote:
The body of two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay showed evidence of morphine,#an amphetamine#and the#sleeping medication Ambien when it was examined after his fatal plane crash off the coast of Florida in November, according to the autopsy report obtained by USA TODAY Sports on Friday.

The report by the Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner’s Office also showed that#Halladay's blood alcohol content was .01.
FAA regulations forbids the consumption of alcohol within eight hours of piloting a civil#aircraft. The use of "any drug that affects the person's faculties in any way contrary to safety" is prohibited.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.usat...amp/1049801001

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #75
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems tome thatu made several really bad decisions leading up to and during this flight.

Can’t help but think of his kids