Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2018, 08:45 PM   #661
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

The Captain's comments about the Tyler/Voq storyline are spot on. What is the point from the view of the Klingons? Sacrifice "everything" (according to L'Rell) for... nothing?

The answer for the Klingons seems to be, no purpose at all. The only useful thing from a plot point of view I can think of is that Burnham who has never been in love now is and... with a trans-species Klingon consumed by an identity crisis.

Maybe this leads to the storyline where Burnham learns something about the Klingons and achieves peace with them in the main universe. But we already know how that all turns out because TOS establishes that an uneasy peace exists. And then there's the augment storyline to follow...

The show remains entertaining. There is some very good acting going on.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:53 PM   #662
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'd like to know what the mirror discovery is doing in the main universe.

In Mirror Mirror when Kirk and his crew beamed over to the mirror universe they could disguise themselves by acting barbaric, but at the same time Spock figured out the mirror captain and others were evil because they couldn't act civilized.

It'd be funny if they came back to the normal universe in the last 10 minutes of the season to find out that mirror discovery had exterminated these funny looking weirdo klingons and ended the war through brutal violence.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #663
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I worry the writers have played the 'mirror universe' card too early in the series. We've barely had time to get to know the regular versions of these characters, let alone be amused by their 'evil' alternate reality versions.

The part that bugged me most is... wondering what the heck Discovery is up to? Are they just hanging around, shadowing the Shenzhou? They are in communications range and even transporter range (as they beamed Tyler back), and it's obviously been at least a few days, you'd think they would have received some new orders.
And if Disco is just hanging around the Shenzhou, why couldn't Burnam just say "I'm going to go have a tete-a-tete with Captain Tilly", beam over, hand her the disc and beam back?

Or do they have that ridiculous transporter tech from STID?

Also, can we just agree that Voq, son of None is the dumbest name in the Star Trek Universe.

Besides it being incredibly awkward grammatically (Son of Nobody), why doesn't he just say that he has no House as Worf did for a while?
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:52 AM   #664
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
And if Disco is just hanging around the Shenzhou, why couldn't Burnam just say "I'm going to go have a tete-a-tete with Captain Tilly", beam over, hand her the disc and beam back?

Or do they have that ridiculous transporter tech from STID?

Also, can we just agree that Voq, son of None is the dumbest name in the Star Trek Universe.

Besides it being incredibly awkward grammatically (Son of Nobody), why doesn't he just say that he has no House as Worf did for a while?
Well damn, that didn't even occur to me because my mind froze with the Voq, stupid international man of mystery thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 08:08 PM   #665
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Kinda bored of the Mirror Universe now. Though Mirror Universe Stamets was a surprise, didn't see that coming.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #666
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Episode 12 was the wildest ride yet. A lot packed into 45 minutes. Thrilling. I won't post any spoilers until tomorrow. Its well worth the watch.

A lot of loose ends tied up.

And to quote Chekov from Star Trek VI: "Guess who's coming to dinner". Wow.

Last edited by Kjesse; 01-21-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:16 PM   #667
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

My thoughts

Spoiler!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 01-21-2018 at 10:38 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2018, 11:01 PM   #668
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
My thoughts

Spoiler!
Great recap and analysis.

It should be said that you're the greatest resource of Trek mythology and knowledge on this site. I know I always appreciate reading your in depth reviews as they connect a lot of dots and help establish a firm grasp of what is always going on from scene to scene.

Thank you, Cap'.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:39 PM   #669
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So I've often been accused of looking too deeply into shows like Star Trek, and Star Wars, and some times it must come across that all I do is watch and read science fiction and get captured by the Lore.

Really not true, but when you have favorites you tend to read a lot and try to gain some understanding about it.

But the one thing that has really been fascinating to me is this concept of a universe where humanity has been stripped of the things that make us humans and ultimately survivable as a species.

When I think of humanity I think of the image of the killer angel with a sword in one hand and a hand reached out in compassion. There's a real steal in the soul of every human that is willing to not only make leaps of imagination, but go back to our baser nature as beings willing to do brutal things to survive or gain power.

But the mirror universe is different because humanity is of one mind, that brutality, the willingness to destroy and conquer and force submission are the keys to the survival of the species.

So, you have to think, historically what would have to happen for our species to devolve to our barbaric baser instincts? What would cause humankind to become like the Terrans in the mirror universe.

What if one event changed everything. What if Khrushchev didn't back down during the Cuban Missile Crisis. What would happen if that Captain on the Soviet Sub had decided to fire his nuclear tipped torpedo, that was never fired in real life due to a temperature created failure in the subs radio set?

Lets say that the missiles were fired on October 27th, 1962, and the world as we knew it ended.

In the aftermath of a nuclear exchange world wide, with the environmental disasters that followed its likely that humanity would have been reduced to several million of the hardiest souls around, the ruthless, the deep end of the genetic pool, those that had to fight every day to survive. Governments would collapse as would civil order for a time.

But humanity seems to always have an instinct to form communities, and they would. They would seek the leadership of the strongest, those that would do anything to ensure their community. They would eventually war with other community over supplies, electricity and gas and even skilled people.

Meanwhile in these communities they would want the strongest and most capable to rule, so its likely that democracy might not gain the foothold that we used to have, people are too busy trying to survive to worry about politics. However you can bet that if a leader failed or showed weakness or in some way threatened the existence of the community that he or she would be forcibly removed and replaced.

Over time these communities would expand and there would be a determination to rebuild in the most pragmatic and ruthless manner possible. Laziness, incompetence, crimes against the people would not be tolerated.

At some point communications would be established around the world, and these ruthless leaders would decide that they didn't need to fight wars, that the species had to survive. They would band together, but there would be rivalry for power, and you would see succession through violence. If a leader was weak, he'd be thrown down and replaced.

Eventually leadership would be won by one person that was the strongest and most ruthless, who's vision was harmony through strength and violence, and the message that the survival of mankind was of paramount importance.

So they'd look at spreading humanity to the stars so one war, mistake, act of weakness wouldn't be able to destroy the entire species.

So with that single minded determination and refusal to fail on the pain of punishment, man would colonize the Stars. If there were other species that were weaker, they would be destroyed and not negotiated with or traded with, man would take what he wanted to ensure survival. If they ran into a species that was stronger, they would try to ally with them and learn all that they could about their technology and culture, and the minute that the alliance was no longer beneficial or their allies showed weakness, humans would destroy them, because man can only trust man when it comes to survival.

At the same time, the ruthlessness of destroying your rivals and forcing the weak to submit or die would be encouraged as there would be no greater way to evolve mankind then to ensure that only the strongest and smartest and deepest members of the gene pool would survive.

It wouldn't take much to see humans reverting to their inner Ghengis Khan when it came to the desperation of survival.

So while we see the Empire as evil and corrupt, they would see a human federation based on co-operation and friendship as a fatal flaw in the nature of humanity in which humans could no longer place the survival of their species in their own hands and evolve their technology and humankind rapidly enough.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2018, 02:16 AM   #670
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think we've seen the last of Mirror Voq. There's an old piece of wisdom around any tv show or movie that unless you see a dead body, don't assume the character is dead ... and even if you do see the body, there's still a good chance they're not dead.

I think we'll see the Discovery end up in an uneasy alliance with the remnants of Voq's rebellion (at least Voq and Sarek, likely).

Originally, I was unsure how long I expected them to stay in the Mirror Universe, but after this week's episode, I expect them to be there for a while.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #671
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

there's really only two episodes left this season, and the preview of next weeks show is going to focus around Lorca

Spoiler!

Old 01-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #672
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I don't think we've seen the last of Mirror Voq. There's an old piece of wisdom around any tv show or movie that unless you see a dead body, don't assume the character is dead ... and even if you do see the body, there's still a good chance they're not dead.

I think we'll see the Discovery end up in an uneasy alliance with the remnants of Voq's rebellion (at least Voq and Sarek, likely).

Originally, I was unsure how long I expected them to stay in the Mirror Universe, but after this week's episode, I expect them to be there for a while.
I think he's gone, he was just a badly written character and he really hadn't served a purpose for a while. I think L'Rell will probably play a key role in peace talks between the Klingons and Human's.

Or maybe they'll all sit down at the table Human's and Klingons and start negotiating when the door shatters and the old Klingons storm in, and we find out that the Old Klingons had gone for a holiday in Aspen and their slaves had taken over and were pretending to be Klingons.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:00 PM   #673
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Wow the reviews of this episode are all over the map, from outright white faced nerd rage to, I so love this show, and it reminds me of kittens.

So I have some more thoughts on the plotting and writing of this episode

Spoiler!

Additional about the time line

Spoiler!

Old 01-22-2018, 04:30 PM   #674
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still undecided on Discovery. There has been lots of good but also lots of cringe.

I agree a big problem is that things seemed rushed. The Mirror Universe, Stamets, and Tyler/Voq all have potential to be interesting stories if given proper time to develop however are instead all crammed into the same episode. I especially like the Mirror Universe and feel this could fill a couple season of cool stories but it looks like it will instead just be a few episodes.

Also, I'm getting a bit of a GoT in space vibe sometimes with all the killings, twists, and rushed story telling. I agree with CC that maybe the writer/producers are gambling to try an attract a new audience. I like twists if done well but we do not need multiple ones every episode.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:51 PM   #675
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

CBS originally ordered 13 episodes. Once those were well underway, they ordered another 2 for a total of 15 in the first season.

There are two schools of thought about this which are hotly debated on the Star Trek nerd forums across the interwebs:

-The conclusion of the mirror universe happens in the 13th episode but CBS wanted to normalize the season by having an adventure or two in the prime universe to end this season and set up the next with another cliffhanger; or

-The mirror universe was too fast-paced as is and was extended to a 15th episode.

I think they'll wrap the mirror universe arc in the next episode and we'll see something to set up the next season, including gold, red and blue uniforms, by the 15th episode.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:20 PM   #676
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The title of the next episode is "What's Past is Prologue". If we take that at face value, the real story is just getting started. I think we're in the Mirror Universe for the foreseeable future.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:23 PM   #677
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is hilarious.

direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 09:56 AM   #678
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I kind of cribbed this but made some changes:

via Imgflip Meme Generator
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #679
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I might eat my words later, but I highly doubt Michael would hand over the Discovery to the Emperor without some plan in place to ensure that it is either rendered useless to them or flings them off into some other parallel universe. Heck, flinging them into the regular universe wouldn't be that bad an outcome, given the Emperor and her crew could be dealt with easier there.

Also, I might have missed something there but did Voq actually die there? I don't believe that L'Rell has just pushed his consciousness back a bit more, since obviously it wasn't the plan for him to take over Tyler just yet.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #680
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I might eat my words later, but I highly doubt Michael would hand over the Discovery to the Emperor without some plan in place to ensure that it is either rendered useless to them or flings them off into some other parallel universe. Heck, flinging them into the regular universe wouldn't be that bad an outcome, given the Emperor and her crew could be dealt with easier there.

Also, I might have missed something there but did Voq actually die there? I don't believe that L'Rell has just pushed his consciousness back a bit more, since obviously it wasn't the plan for him to take over Tyler just yet.
She did the whole Klingon dudes dead and heading to the underworld scream.

She gave him the Warriors Death that he supposedly deserved.

There was nothing left for Voq to do, and I think even the writers were happy to see him go.