Rolls-Royce opening up a downtown location:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...667/story.html
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #2022
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Ferrari video is the perfect explanation of the differences between car guy, and not car guy.

Justifying your boring purchase by spouting fuel economy numbers.... not car guy.

Thinking your Lexus is faster because it has 16 more Horsepower.... not car guy.

Touching a guys Ferrari, opening the door, and setting your water bottle on the roof and slapping the seats.... not car guy, and in a lot of places, possible dead guy.

Comparing a Camaro in the same sentence to a Ferrari 360... maybe car guy.... but ignorant car guy.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2014, 12:44 AM   #2023
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

That video was awful.... Can't be real.
TSXCman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #2024
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
The Ferrari video is the perfect explanation of the differences between car guy, and not car guy.

Justifying your boring purchase by spouting fuel economy numbers.... not car guy.

Thinking your Lexus is faster because it has 16 more Horsepower.... not car guy.

Touching a guys Ferrari, opening the door, and setting your water bottle on the roof and slapping the seats.... not car guy, and in a lot of places, possible dead guy.

Comparing a Camaro in the same sentence to a Ferrari 360... maybe car guy.... but ignorant car guy.
I agree with you, but the bolded part I have to take issue with, just because I've been so stoked on the fuel economy of my 2014 Passat lately I have to work on shutting up about it. Sold my 300C and Pathfinder in June. I was getting ~17mpg in the city in the 300 and 14 or 15 in the Pathfinder. I easily get double that in the Passat. It'd GD amazing and on the highway it's even more incredible at 49mpg, particularly because it's such a big car. I'm 6'4" and I can sit behind my own seat and be plenty comfortable.

The most fuel efficient car in my fleet before I bought the Passat was my Mustang GT lol. With the VW, it's like fuel is completely free. I don't even register it as an expense.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #2025
Red John
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

APR is claiming that the new GTI with a stage 1 tune (only software) is putting out over 380 ft-lbs of torque, and 320hp.

All this in a car that weights less than 3,000 lbs. That is mind-blowing fast. Seriously considering trading in the Camaro for one of these.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red John For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #2026
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any recommendations on a hatchback, awd, sub 15k, and below 10L / 100km?
Obviously used.....
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #2027
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only AWD hatchbacks I can think of are the Suzuki SX4, Matrix and A3. Golf R is an AWD hatchback, but probably not in that price range. The Impreza is probably close to what you're looking for, but that's a little more wagony.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #2028
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Impreza is on the short list.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #2029
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
APR is claiming that the new GTI with a stage 1 tune (only software) is putting out over 380 ft-lbs of torque, and 320hp.

All this in a car that weights less than 3,000 lbs. That is mind-blowing fast. Seriously considering trading in the Camaro for one of these.
Just remember FWD sucks for traction, it will be quick at highway speeds, off the line not so much. I'd wait for the performance pack with lsd to be available before purchase.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #2030
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
Impreza is on the short list.
You may want to give the Volvo V50 a look too. Definitely a lot nicer than an Impreza in terms of refinement.

They don't make them anymore and there's never a ton of them on the market, but you can probably get one in that price range now (we purchased a 3 year old CPO for about 20k two years ago). Just make sure you get the AWD one, as not all of them are. I would also recommend the T5, as our base 5-cylinder is a little gutless in certain merging situations.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #2031
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
The Impreza is probably close to what you're looking for, but that's a little more wagony.
The Impreza is totally a hatchback. Are you thinking of the Forrester or Outback? Those are wagony.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #2032
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
The Impreza is totally a hatchback. Are you thinking of the Forrester or Outback? Those are wagony.
The new gen is more hatch than wagon, but the previous ones (which are probably more in his price range) were more wagony as there was a rear side window past the pillar. The Impreza always seemed like it was in this grey area. Either way, good option.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #2033
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You may want to give the Volvo V50 a look too. Definitely a lot nicer than an Impreza in terms of refinement.

They don't make them anymore and there's never a ton of them on the market, but you can probably get one in that price range now (we purchased a 3 year old CPO for about 20k two years ago). Just make sure you get the AWD one, as not all of them are. I would also recommend the T5, as our base 5-cylinder is a little gutless in certain merging situations.
Kijiji V50 = nothing.

What's a T5 or CPO?

This is primarily a gas mileage move for my wife to cart around kids.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #2034
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Kijiji V50 = nothing.

What's a T5 or CPO?

CPO= certified pre-owned

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #2035
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Kijiji V50 = nothing.

What's a T5 or CPO?

T5 = Volvo's turbo 5 cylinder. It was also used in the Focus RS. It's a 2.5L making ~220hp (slight differences depending on the year) and known as a reliable engine as Volvo has been making variants of it for a very long time.

CPO = certified pre-owned. The dealer does a full inspection and repairs everything to their standard, which is going to be higher than a private seller or a used car dealership. With Volvo the warranty is an additional expense, previously at some dealers the warranty was included regardless.

I drive an S40 right now and really wish I had held out for a V50.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #2036
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
I drive an S40 right now and really wish I had held out for a V50.
Want to buy ours? Would give me incentive for that e500, ha. No T5 or AWD though. I don't miss the AWD, but after having driven my moms T5 C3, I definitely wish we had that.

Just having a wagon vs a trunk of the s40 definitely makes things a lot more useful. Especially if you have kids, with the amount of crapy they always need, I don't think a family these days would even be able to fit in a typical sedan.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #2037
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Want to buy ours? Would give me incentive for that e500, ha. No T5 or AWD though.
If you put a lift in your garage and help me with the drivetrain swap, I'm in!

I know you don't need AWD in Calgary, it's just so much fun on a snow day!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #2038
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Ok, I might just be a car wash struggler but here's my story:

On the weekend I drove my car to the local car wash and gave it a few bucks with the wand. I got home and one side of the car is decent and the other side has all these "dusty blotches" all over it, side and windows.

So today, I am finally annoyed enough with it that I take it to the touchless wash at an Esso station. Pay the $13 bucks for the wash, drive out of the bay and same thing, the "dusty blotches" are still there. And just on the one side. It appears they wipe off with your finger but Wtf? Do I need a lesson?
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:54 PM   #2039
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Water and soap doesn't take off the film of dust that collects over time. I wouldn't suggest the brush at the wand wash, use a wash mit and once you've soaped up the vehicle just rub over the panels and it will come off.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2014, 08:54 PM   #2040
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post

More pollution is caused making the Prius than they're saving I'd be willing to bet
PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote