Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2021, 11:45 AM   #21
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
They only want to complain because the Flames suck, everything they touch sucks and they weren't consulted. Typical day.
didn't I just post about how there were reasons to be optimistic this season?

Some posters around here are intolerable.

Pepsi, I think that the master plan as mentioned was definitely going to tie in well while CMLC was in charge of all projects. That's no longer the case, and the released renderings show it. E.g. The public venue (pretty pathetically small) outside faces a relatively dead streetscape and loading docks kitty corner.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:47 AM   #22
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't disagree, but a lack of parking is always a complaint about Calgary commenters on arena plans (I don't agree but there it is).
You could include 2 way transit fare cost with every ticket purchase. Or CSE could get another parcel adjacent and build a huge private parking garage with access from another direction. IMO there are better solutions than running plenty of the traffic right through your main entertainment hub.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:00 PM   #23
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I think this proposal highlights what some of the worst elements of the calgary proposal are, in spite of not looking that much different as many have mentioned.

1. It looks like it will have much more active street presence on all sides.

2. the Event space/ plaza outside is much larger and more dynamic.
Quote:
It boils down to this one being designed for more of an active/walking experience while the flames version still seems like it's prioritizing cars.
two words: winter
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:02 PM   #24
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You could include 2 way transit fare cost with every ticket purchase. Or CSE could get another parcel adjacent and build a huge private parking garage with access from another direction. IMO there are better solutions than running plenty of the traffic right through your main entertainment hub.
Oh, I agree. I like to avoid the parking nightmare altogether. The transit idea works, especially if CT cooperates with added service before and after games.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:10 PM   #25
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just a shame that it'll probably never happen.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:14 PM   #26
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Pepsi, I think that the master plan as mentioned was definitely going to tie in well while CMLC was in charge of all projects. That's no longer the case, and the released renderings show it. E.g. The public venue (pretty pathetically small) outside faces a relatively dead streetscape and loading docks kitty corner.
But this has nothing to do with the arena. Any arena design would have encountered the same issue. The development across any of the streets surrounding the arena has nothing to do with CSEC. If you look at the old Rosetti renderings, it's the exact same thing. Some stuff happening on the arena-side street, much of it happening on the other side. People walking over the same streets that are there now.

That said, if you look at the master plan (and I think you should again), what occurs in the 2 square blocks the arena occupies has little impact on the overall vision for the area. The shopping/eating/festival stuff has been planned outside of the arena square footage from the get-go. Hell, it was planned without knowing there would be an arena there.

What your saying just doesn't track with the reality of the project or the development to date.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:14 PM   #27
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know how long it takes Amazon to deliver?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:21 PM   #28
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Everything that has been released so far was done with CMLC's involvement. The project management change didn't happen until after those plans were finalized.

The arena designs only include the two city blocks where the arena will be built because that's all that is included in the arena project. Whatever gets built outside of those two blocks will be done by CMLC as part of the Rivers District.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:26 PM   #29
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Stolen from HF

Basic cliff’s notes…..

-Project size estimate: $1.7 billion.
- Arena size is approximately 16,000 details being finalized. But plan is to make lower bowl larger than GRA.
-Tentative open date is 2025.
- Meruelo is the master contractor, but is lining up other partners.
- Land remediation comes first. Approximately 1.5 million cu. ft. of soil has to be removed. Coyotes would put $8 million in with remainder paid through bonds.
- Bonds would also help pay for infrastructure, title clearance and build a parking garage that would be owned/operated by the city.
- Proposed special taxing district which could issue bonds to raise up to $200 million total, in phases as needed. Tempe has used the mechanism before
- Bonds to be repaid over 30 years from three sources. (~2/3 portion of city sales tax generated, 6% surcharge on retail sales at the arena, real estate tax assessment).
- Coyotes to build sub-station on site for Tempe police to use at no cost to city.
-Two phase plan. Phase 1 includes arene, 1500 seat theatre for small shows, commercial district, 200 room boutique hotel, medical offices, up to 12 story apartment tower with 180 units.
-Phase 2 includes three more apartment towers up to 1500 units total. Convention style hotel w/300 rooms, retail center and offices.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 01:00 PM   #30
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
But this has nothing to do with the arena. Any arena design would have encountered the same issue. The development across any of the streets surrounding the arena has nothing to do with CSEC. If you look at the old Rosetti renderings, it's the exact same thing. Some stuff happening on the arena-side street, much of it happening on the other side. People walking over the same streets that are there now.

That said, if you look at the master plan (and I think you should again), what occurs in the 2 square blocks the arena occupies has little impact on the overall vision for the area. The shopping/eating/festival stuff has been planned outside of the arena square footage from the get-go. Hell, it was planned without knowing there would be an arena there.

What your saying just doesn't track with the reality of the project or the development to date.
You just need to flip the orientation of the arena 90 degrees to remove the effect I spoke of. Not sure how that couldn't have been achieved with more planning (OH WAIT it's because they wanted to put a giant parkade on the back of this bitch.)

I am very familiar with the master plan. I think it's great, but IMO the area directly surrounding the arena - the specific streetscape that the arena is a part of- matter and could be made better. I'm not saying it's a total fail, just saying that this phoenix project shows how it easily could have been made better.

Re: plaza outside being too cold. What a donkey excuse that is. Even Edmonton, frozen hellscape that it is, got a large public square out of their project.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:32 PM   #31
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tempe is a great location for this.

Looks cool too!
Old 09-20-2021, 01:40 PM   #32
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

when i see drawings of places like this, i become more sad that the we do not have a simialr cliamte as tempe or san diego or somehting as i really feel that canada's winter climate is not as conducive to there hubs.

it will be interesting to see how these respective projects move forward over time
Old 09-20-2021, 01:42 PM   #33
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Why not expand the plaza aspect, even enclose it with businesses on the other side, and prioritize foot traffic.
Not entirely disagreeing, but we have something to deal with that Tempe doesn’t

-20C
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:58 PM   #34
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
Stolen from HF

Basic cliff’s notes…..

-Project size estimate: $1.7 billion.
- Arena size is approximately 16,000 details being finalized. But plan is to make lower bowl larger than GRA.
-Tentative open date is 2025.
- Meruelo is the master contractor, but is lining up other partners.
- Land remediation comes first. Approximately 1.5 million cu. ft. of soil has to be removed. Coyotes would put $8 million in with remainder paid through bonds.
- Bonds would also help pay for infrastructure, title clearance and build a parking garage that would be owned/operated by the city.
- Proposed special taxing district which could issue bonds to raise up to $200 million total, in phases as needed. Tempe has used the mechanism before
- Bonds to be repaid over 30 years from three sources. (~2/3 portion of city sales tax generated, 6% surcharge on retail sales at the arena, real estate tax assessment).
- Coyotes to build sub-station on site for Tempe police to use at no cost to city.
-Two phase plan. Phase 1 includes arene, 1500 seat theatre for small shows, commercial district, 200 room boutique hotel, medical offices, up to 12 story apartment tower with 180 units.
-Phase 2 includes three more apartment towers up to 1500 units total. Convention style hotel w/300 rooms, retail center and offices.

Complex bond schemes are how arena deals kill ya. PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh, built between 2008-10, was just recently paid off over the past few years because certain assumptions built into the financing of their municipal/state bonds didn't pan out.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:03 PM   #35
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
You just need to flip the orientation of the arena 90 degrees to remove the effect I spoke of. Not sure how that couldn't have been achieved with more planning (OH WAIT it's because they wanted to put a giant parkade on the back of this bitch.)
I have no idea what turning the arena 90 degrees would accomplish other than moving the entrance and the retail/restaurant side of the arena off the main drag.

That seems significantly worse.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:06 PM   #36
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Complex bond schemes are how arena deals kill ya. PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh, built between 2008-10, was just recently paid off over the past few years because certain assumptions built into the financing of their municipal/state bonds didn't pan out.
It's not an arena deal, it's the entire district and something that Tempe has done regularly in the past. That land COSTS tempe money as it stands right now.

What kills deals now, are municipalities paying for the arena on their own or in partnership. Not how it's working here, polar opposite of Glendale.

Meruelo is financing w/ partners
Old 09-20-2021, 02:10 PM   #37
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
[/IMG]

Nothing wrong with the Arena once you get there
So if you like giant billboards, chain restaurants and big box store appearance then yeah, nothing wrong with it.

That photo makes me appreciate the Calgary concept a little more honestly. Understated and blend in with surrounding area.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:18 PM   #38
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
So if you like giant billboards, chain restaurants and big box store appearance then yeah, nothing wrong with it.

That photo makes me appreciate the Calgary concept a little more honestly. Understated and blend in with surrounding area.
I like the Tempe renders because it's so different, Gila and surrounding are ok but fit the whole brown/red/blahfest that so many arizona malls look like.. at least in that part of town

This tempe plan fits a more modern/scottsdale/vegas type of look and much like most of the new stuff on tempe town lake.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 02:19 PM   #39
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Does anyone know how long it takes Amazon to deliver?
Depends, did you order an arena?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 02:27 PM   #40
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I have no idea what turning the arena 90 degrees would accomplish other than moving the entrance and the retail/restaurant side of the arena off the main drag.

That seems significantly worse.

This is what the overhead looks like. You can see the vacant/ dead unused spaces where the plaza is currently located. If the plaza was larger and placed where the Northwest Entrance is (could be achieved by removing the ugly parkade) and you added retail frontage along the north side as well as the west side, you would have a much more beautiful and usable space.