Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #1
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Buying a dishwasher

Our old dishwasher is past the point of repair and quick fixes that we have used over the years to keep it going. It seems to be making things dirtier now.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good place to go where they will deliver, install, and take away the old one? It'll have to be a built-in dishwasher and I know I'll have to take the measurements. Are all the big box places the same?
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

We used Trail and were very satisfied...the Bosch dishwashers are fantastic!

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #3
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Insert generic, outdated, joke about wives.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #4
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I have heard the Bosch dishwashers are great, but if you don't want to spend quite so much, I have another suggestion.

We bought one from Ikea. It's manufactured by Whirlpool, I think, but what makes it a great deal beyond the relatively low upfront cost is the standard 5-year warranty. I basically view dishwashers as disposable since they're so pricey to repair relative to the cost of a new one. Once they get over five years old, they're typically not worth fixing (IMO). To have a 5-year warranty is amazing. The one we bought is super quiet and does a great job.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
We used Trail and were very satisfied...the Bosch dishwashers are fantastic!
Same. I probably could have saved a couple hundred bucks (I saved a bunch through hunting for a range and fridge), but the reduced cost wouldn't have covered the increased hassle.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #6
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have a Bosch, works well but isn't great to load
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:17 PM   #7
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Have a Bosch, works well but isn't great to load
As in it doesn't load itself?
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have a fridgidaire. Have had it for a couple of years. It does what it is supposed to,do and most importantly it is quiet.

As I recall it was around $500, from sears. I put it in myself. If you are mechanically inclined, it is easy to install assuming you already have a unit in there. You will have to connect the power via a box with merest, attach the water and drain hose, the fit it in the opening.

I believe most units are a standard size, but it won't hurt to measure the opening

Last edited by Northendzone; 05-11-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I bought a Blomberg from Trail, and it's worked great so far.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:28 PM   #10
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went with Bosch and honestly, they're amazing. It's more expensive to be sure, but the dishes are super clean and it's incredibly quiet. I would recommend them for sure.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #11
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another vote for Bosch. Best dishwasher I've ever owned.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2017, 05:40 PM   #12
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bosch gets my vote too. We had a Samsung, it looked good, was very quiet and had a large capacity. But dishes wouldn't always come out clean, and it would get plugged with food debris often. After four years I ripped it out and put in a mid range Bosch. Just as quiet, capacity a bit smaller. But dishes come out consistently clean. Very happy.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:52 PM   #13
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We have a kitchenaid, it is so quiet I don't even know it is on and have to go over right beside it to hear it. The dishes always come out clean and the best part of it is the 3rd tray at the top for the utensils. Stainless steel front and inside for about $750 from Trail. Worth every penny and not at the highest end.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:43 PM   #14
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
As in it doesn't load itself?
No, the sliding lower tray tends to derail itself when loaded so has to be lifted back and put into place, the wheels tend to unclip at times and skip across the floor to the dogs delight.

I also find the trays not as flexible for choosing what to put where as some models I've used before, the plates have to go in the plate holder, bowls in the bowl spot and if you have more plates to run and less bowls it doesn't readily lend itself to using the bowl area for plates.

other than that though reliable and efficient.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #15
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have a Bosch and it works just fine...but the thing drives me crazy as it doesn't stop beeping till you open it, which sucks when you run the dishwasher at night.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:55 PM   #16
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bosch too, and it has been great for 2 years - so quiet, you have to check for the red light to see if it's on. That said this isn't quite the old pure German Bosch - they were bought out 5 years ago or so - but still terrific. We got ours through buyerdirect.ca or some such thing - it was $300 cheaper than anywhere else I found and I got 12000 Aeroplan points because they had a 10X promo for a first time buyer. Seemed quite shady to me, but it worked out great - it was actually delivered from the Brick. So, I don't know if this is a Brick front or what.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #17
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Miele....costs a lot...worth every penny.No scraping or rinsing...huge capacity...gets the job done every time.

Got my first around 1995...gave it to my daughter when we did a reno in 2007...it is still running...never had a repair.

My second Miele is in my Priddis home...got it in 2007...still running perfectly.

Have a Miele in my Calgary home as well...6 years old...not one problem.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2017, 08:09 PM   #18
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Mieles are definitely another level up. If you can afford it and it's meant to last, that's the way to go.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #19
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kenmore is actually Bosch (or at least was when I replaced mine last year) except cheaper since Sears buys in bulk. I've been pretty happy with mine, cleans well and is so quiet it's hard to tell if it is running. I went to Trail first but wasn't impressed with the salesperson trying to push me towards models that weren't what I was asking for, and when I went to Sears they had the exact same dishwashers for less money.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:37 PM   #20
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Miele....costs a lot...worth every penny.No scraping or rinsing...huge capacity...gets the job done every time.

Got my first around 1995...gave it to my daughter when we did a reno in 2007...it is still running...never had a repair.

My second Miele is in my Priddis home...got it in 2007...still running perfectly.

Have a Miele in my Calgary home as well...6 years old...not one problem.
Yeah, my wife talked me into a Miele when we bought this house. I was to that point unaware so much money could be spent on a dishwasher.

But I have to admit, the thing is amazing. Keep it fed with salt and rinse agent and it works miracles. Everything that gets thrown in comes out perfect. And it has a proper drying cycle.

Oh, and to address the initial question - even though I bought the dishwasher at Coast, Miele has their own delivery and install guys that make an appointment with you. The pull out the old dishwasher and take it away for fee I think, and then take some serious time installing the new one. And then run you through everything about the new one. It was seriously a 45 minute process. For example, mine apparently has a sensor underneath that if it were to ever leak it automatically shuts off the water.

Last edited by InglewoodFan; 05-11-2017 at 09:42 PM. Reason: more info
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appliances , dishwasher