Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-27-2022, 11:47 PM   #61
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
You also don't want to burn out your starter out before the playoffs. Vldar needs the playing time to stay sharp in case of an injury to Marky.
I don't disagree. I'm saying Sutter is in the best position to make that decision.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:19 AM   #62
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This is a rather misleading 1-5 loss.

At no point was I convinced that this one was anything to be alarmed about.

Just not ideal circumstances coming in for the Flames, Blues sitting for 4 days stewing on that loss. Flames flying around the country and racking up that body count last night in the meantime.

Starting Marky for 2 in 2 was a miscalculation. He's a goalie that needs to be managed right because he'll always be up for playing. It's on Sutter to say no and keep him fresh, because he only plays his A game when he's got his legs and his health.

Flames actually played really well, and after a strong first minute by the Blues (where I thought there would be a sustained push by them) the Flames then just went right back to pushing the pace of the game at even strength, and the Blues were just responding to their push. I was pleasantly surprised to see them make an effort to dictate the game again. Backlund in particular was really good.

Their first three goals felt pretty opportunistic on a few chances between sustained zone time by the Flames, and Markstrom wasn't up to making a couple moderately difficult saves there. So you could tell he was off.

At 3-1 the score heavily flattered St.Louis. Then Husso's excellent performance and their physicality choked the Flames coming off 3 in 4.

Like others said a lot of missed nets, and Husso making a few saves he shouldn't, and Markstrom with his B game.

Not sure I'm too concerned with this loss. Just brush it under the rug and get back to what you've been doing of late.

This is just how it is under Sutter, sometimes the results aren't going to match the eye test.

Teams lose 1 of 2 in back to backs more often than not. It's just another one you can probably chalk up as a victim of the crazy, erratic scheduling.

Last edited by djsFlames; 01-28-2022 at 12:30 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 12:24 AM   #63
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I can maybe justify the goalie decision in my mind. Sutter started Markstrom against Columbus because he wanted to ensure a win (at least as far as he could). And maybe he felt like the Blues were going to attack hard and didn’t want to throw Vladar under that bus.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:28 AM   #64
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well, I can maybe justify the goalie decision in my mind. Sutter started Markstrom against Columbus because he wanted to ensure a win (at least as far as he could). And maybe he felt like the Blues were going to attack hard and didn’t want to throw Vladar under that bus.
Vladar 100% had to play one of two of these games.

If there's anything we've learned about JM it's that he only plays at his top form when he's rested and healthy.

And being able to have faith in your backup to help secure you wins is also important for any team looking to make a run.

I think Sutter botched the call. But that's fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 12:28 AM   #65
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Don't worry ONE game homestand coming up
Honestly for a long time you’ve been harping on the schedule and I thought it was a bit lame and grating and excusey, but taking a step back and trying to look at the calendar from beginning of the season to now- and it’s insane. Like, I don’t really care the stats or the analytics on schedules and whatnot about “who has the hardest schedule” and all that nonsense, which lets be honest, are made on a huge amount of assumptions and variables that may or may not make sense.

But I think you’re 100% right. Open up Calgarys schedule and just look at it from the beginning of the year to now and straight face declare it isn’t absolutely ridiculous. No legit league would schedule this. It’s a joke and I can’t see any other teams having as insane and ridiculous a schedule as this. It’s straight up like a computer generated it (computers do generate them) with no regard to how humans are humans (there is no regard for this).

Between the reffing and schedule, it is straight up like there is a vendetta against the Flames. If the NYR or Blackhawks had this, or god forbid the Oilers, we would not hear the end of it. It’s total bull####.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 12:35 AM   #66
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

21 of 25 at home incoming.

It will all come back the other way in due time.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:40 AM   #67
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

The Blues held the Flames to 1 goal. Goalie needed a shutout to win.

The better team won tonight. It was not the goalie that lost the game tonight

Park it and move on
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 02:21 AM   #68
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
21 of 25 at home incoming.

It will all come back the other way in due time.
We are just lucky the Flames survived it, a schedule like this could have had their season over right now.

No team would ever choose to have such an uneven split. All Eastern road games done in game 38 of 82 lol.

Its comical
Old 01-28-2022, 02:59 AM   #69
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
We are just lucky the Flames survived it, a schedule like this could have had their season over right now.

No team would ever choose to have such an uneven split. All Eastern road games done in game 38 of 82 lol.

Its comical
Truly nutty.

I don't recall a year of ever being done with playing out east before like the 65-70 game mark.

The scheduling factor will be glossed over but like you say, with a team not as unified as this one under a top tier coach and motivator, that schedule could easily be a death sentence for the season.

Just look at the volume of home games and contrast it with every other team in the standings.

This is clearly a good team, even with middling talent. But if it recieved anywhere near equal treatment with the scheduling, the record might even be notably better. Getting out of that nightmare 7 over .500? Not easy at all. Kudos to the team.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:10 AM   #70
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How is Sutter going to survive the heavy upcoming schedule if he doesn’t trust Vladar?

The Flames and Markstrom are going to burnt out before the playoffs started
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:19 AM   #71
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Well, I guess the Blues brought it. Shrug.

Flames weren't bad, just behind the play pretty much all night. Looked a little tired and to be fair it wasn't Markstrom's best night either. Even Sutter came across more crotchety than usual. Come home, rest up, beat the Canucks. Thats the plan.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 07:31 AM   #72
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was a predictable result. I thought the Flames had a 10% chance of winning but I hoped it wasn’t going to be a beating on the scoreboard and would be a 1-2 goal hard fought loss.

Not sure why they ran Markstrom 3 in 4. Vlader should have played against the Jackets or last night. Is Markstrom playing his 4th in 6 tomorrow?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:37 AM   #73
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
This was a predictable result. I thought the Flames had a 10% chance of winning but I hoped it wasn’t going to be a beating on the scoreboard and would be a 1-2 goal hard fought loss.

Not sure why they ran Markstrom 3 in 4. Vlader should have played against the Jackets or last night. Is Markstrom playing his 4th in 6 tomorrow?

Old 01-28-2022, 07:40 AM   #74
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the Flames played a decent game. Markstrom wasn't sharp and that hurt. When the Flames got down and started to press it again exposed they are a top six forward away from having a seriously good team.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:46 AM   #75
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still don't understand this methodology from Darryl. Is he going to start Markstrom every game from now on in because Vladar hasn't won a game for over a month? Surely he realizes that not playing the backup is contributing to him not winning for a month and the longer he doesn't play him the longer it's going to be from his last win? IMO he played a hunch and it didn't work out. Not a big deal but I hope he does a better job of managing Markstrom down the stretch.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:47 AM   #76
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
The Blues held the Flames to 1 goal. Goalie needed a shutout to win.

The better team won tonight. It was not the goalie that lost the game tonight

Park it and move on
I feel like Markstrom is in a no win situation with certain posters on here.

If he plays well and wins it's no big deal because the team scored a bunch of goals and he didn't need to steal the game.

If he's not getting a shutout or allowing more than one goal and the team is losing he's "once again the second best goalie on the ice" and "can't make a save".
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:48 AM   #77
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Felt like the comments from Darryl were from an angry guy who knew he made the wrong decision and didn't want to admit a mistake so he doubled down like he did.

Pfft, wasn't a hard decision, I knew this ages ago, our backup hasn't won, you should feel dumb for asking, etc
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:55 AM   #78
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

If he plays well and wins it's no big deal because the team scored a bunch of goals and he didn't need to steal the game.

If he's not getting a shutout or allowing more than one goal and the team is losing he's "once again the second best goalie on the ice" and "can't make a save".
Yeah i really dont understand the negativity either.

He has had a couple poor games....so what? There is not a goalie alive that hasnt had those.

Using simple stats among G's that have started at least 15 games this season

7th in save%
4th in GAA
12th in wins despite playing far fewer than most.

Really odd to be bagging on him IMO.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:33 AM   #79
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yeah i really dont understand the negativity either.

He has had a couple poor games....so what? There is not a goalie alive that hasnt had those.

Using simple stats among G's that have started at least 15 games this season

7th in save%
4th in GAA
12th in wins despite playing far fewer than most.

Really odd to be bagging on him IMO.
I think Markstrom gets credit for the Flames playing a vastly improved team game, which is among the top of the league.

If you look at the stats which try to isolate the goalie's performance relative to the team you see Markstrom fall out of the top 10. In goals saved above expected he falls to 15th (among goalies who have played 15 games or more).

Markstrom is being paid to be a top 10 (if not top 5) goalie in the league, and his performance is not matching that. I think the Flames would have the same record if they had any competent starting goalie making half what Markstrom is.

Earlier in the season when Markstrom was top 5 in these stats the Flames were winning more games and challenging for tops in the conference.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 09:12 AM   #80
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

He's a really good goaltender that lacks consistency. I don't think any fans are pining for the days of Smith, Rittich, Elliott, Johnson, etc as Markstrom's highs are far and away better than any of those goaltenders. The issue is that he seems to have a difficult time maintaining a high level of play as he has a lot of dips and games where he's letting in soft goals. He wasn't good enough last night but it was a bad idea to play him back to back in the first place.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote