Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2005, 11:24 PM   #21
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd just like to say that having your dad as your coach and GM should give a person a nice kick in the ass. Next year, it will most likely only be GM, but really, coming from the Sutter family, having your own dad draft you, that has got to be some serious pressure.... He'll be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:26 PM   #22
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Sutter seems like the kind of guy who'd be even harder on his own son than anyone to get more out of him. I have no problems with him drafting him...we'll see what happens when the contract is signed with the big team.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:29 PM   #23
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Dad's not likely to still be the team's head coach by the time Junior is ready for the show, and as such, not in daily coach/player interaction with him. I really don't see a problem.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:30 PM   #24
droopydrew19
Safari Stan

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by fotze+Jul 30 2005, 07:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fotze @ Jul 30 2005, 07:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-browna@Jul 30 2005, 07:34 PM
Any of Nonis' sons get drafted this year?
No, Nonis ate both his kids back in 2003. [/b][/quote]
Dammit.... How do you get coke out of a keyboard again ??
droopydrew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 12:04 AM   #25
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Gord Wappel@Jul 31 2005, 03:43 AM
Deja Vu.

In 1998, the first son of a Sutter Brother, Brian's son Shaun, was drafted by the NHL's Calgary Flames. signed to an over-fat contract too.

nepotism sucks. Not impressed.
[caveat; other than that I appreciate Darryl Sutter greatly)

oops - I just noticed Table 5's comment.
Richie Regehr has really panned out in the AHL as far as I'm concerned. Even if he did sign it to please Robin.

Of course I am hoping that the first Euro we sign for Omaha is Jozef Straka (brother of Martin) who we still have the rights to after drafting all those years ago
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 12:53 AM   #26
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by CaramonLS+Jul 31 2005, 12:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CaramonLS @ Jul 31 2005, 12:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Gord Wappel@Jul 31 2005, 03:43 AM
Deja Vu.

In 1998, the first son of a Sutter Brother, Brian's son Shaun, was drafted by the NHL's Calgary Flames. signed to an over-fat contract too.

Richie Regehr has really panned out in the AHL as far as I'm concerned. Even if he did sign it to please Robin.

Of course I am hoping that the first Euro we sign for Omaha is Jozef Straka (brother of Martin) who we still have the rights to after drafting all those years ago [/b][/quote]
I can't see the Flames signing Richie Regher just to please Robyn. That would be the dumbest hockey decision ever. And if that was the case, whoever's bright idea that was should be fired
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 01:23 AM   #27
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by albertGQ+Jul 31 2005, 06:53 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (albertGQ @ Jul 31 2005, 06:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by CaramonLS@Jul 31 2005, 12:04 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Gord Wappel
Quote:
@Jul 31 2005, 03:43 AM
Deja Vu.

Of course I am hoping that the first Euro we sign for Omaha is Jozef Straka (brother of Martin) who we still have the rights to after drafting all those years ago
I can't see the Flames signing Richie Regher just to please Robyn. That would be the dumbest hockey decision ever. And if that was the case, whoever's bright idea that was should be fired [/b][/quote]
I didn't mean to imply that Sutter was using Nepotism. I was conceding his point that "hey if he did use Nepotism, it worked out Ok for us", I can't read minds and tell us what Sutter was thinking when he signed Richie, but I don't think he signed him because of Nepotism either. (I think he likes Bloodlines to be quite honest as seen with some of his moves - Harvey, Nilson, Regehr).

The Josef Straka comment was a little Humor. However I would like to see Josef play his game in NA because he scores at the Same click Martin does over in the Czech league - not to mention if his game resembles Martin's in some way I would love to have him on the Flames.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 01:33 AM   #28
RT14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by CaramonLS+Jul 31 2005, 12:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CaramonLS @ Jul 31 2005, 12:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by albertGQ@Jul 31 2005, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by CaramonLS@Jul 31 2005, 12:04 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Gord Wappel
Quote:
Quote:
@Jul 31 2005, 03:43 AM
Deja Vu.

In 1998, the first son of a Sutter Brother, Brian's son Shaun, was drafted by the NHL's Calgary Flames.# signed to an over-fat contract too.

nepotism sucks.# Not impressed.
[caveat; other than that I appreciate# Darryl Sutter greatly)

I can't see the Flames signing Richie Regher just to please Robyn. That would be the dumbest hockey decision ever. And if that was the case, whoever's bright idea that was should be fired
I didn't mean to imply that Sutter was using Nepotism. I was conceding his point that "hey if he did use Nepotism, it worked out Ok for us", I can't read minds and tell us what Sutter was thinking when he signed Richie, but I don't think he signed him because of Nepotism either. (I think he likes Bloodlines to be quite honest as seen with some of his moves - Harvey, Nilson, Regehr).

The Josef Straka comment was a little Humor. However I would like to see Josef play his game in NA because he scores at the Same click Martin does over in the Czech league - not to mention if his game resembles Martin's in some way I would love to have him on the Flames. [/b][/quote]
I think Sutter's plan is that the fans won't notice the first names as long as the names on the back are that of stars. If you look at the team on paper that way, with the last name's first, we look pretty good. kidding
RT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 04:32 AM   #29
jam26
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone really think Sutter wasn't aware of the irony? I think he was having a bit of fun with the reporter who brought it to his attention and they took it hook, line and sinker.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:37 AM   #30
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by JiriHrdina+Jul 30 2005, 10:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JiriHrdina @ Jul 30 2005, 10:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by dustygoon@Jul 30 2005, 11:03 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-looooob
Quote:
@Jul 31 2005, 04:27 AM
have to agree the nepotism stuff is a little fishy. don't think Sutter will overpay his boy though, but we'll see

always love the comments at the bottom of the TSN stories, like the one guy who says its going to be a long year for the Flames because they had a bad draft...yep because every other team is going to have three or four draftees step right in to starring roles this season

Maybe I am the only one, but I find drafting your son to be a solid conflict of interest.

Sutter lost a lot of credibility in my mind for that pick. Trust in Sutter and all that BS just went out the window for me.

Disgusting.
The sense from the article I read was that it wasn't Sutter's choice. The scouting team asked both the player and Darryl if they would be OK with it - this suggests it was not Darryl's idea.
[/b][/quote]
I don't by it at all. It's reasonable now for Darryll Sutter to distance from this decision. I won't believe anyone whoever would say, it was not his decision. EVEN if original idea was not his (and I'm sure it was), he as GM is still responsible for every pick he made.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:58 AM   #31
the crispy badger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Neeper+Jul 30 2005, 06:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Neeper @ Jul 30 2005, 06:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by JiriHrdina@Jul 30 2005, 07:23 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-calf
Quote:
@Jul 30 2005, 07:21 PM
Quote:
But he was visibly flabbergasted when informed later of a coincidence of which he swears he was completely unaware: Both father and son were drafted 179th overall, 27 years apart.

''Really? Wow. Are you serious?'' a slack-jawed Flames GM said when informed of the coincidence.
wtf?

WTF indeed. Since when is Sutter "slack jawed". Who the frick wrote that garbage?
What is slack jawed? [/b][/quote]
Slack-jawed refers to slow talking country people..aka..Cletus the slack jawed yokel..
Old 07-31-2005, 08:57 AM   #32
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Kidder+Jul 31 2005, 05:12 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kidder @ Jul 31 2005, 05:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dustygoon@Jul 31 2005, 05:03 AM
Maybe I am the only one, but I find drafting your son to be a solid conflict of interest.

Sutter lost a lot of credibility in my mind for that pick. Trust in Sutter and all that BS just went out the window for me.

Disgusting.
I'm not a fan of the move, but you could definetly give Sutter the benefit of the doubt.

He knows his own son better than anybody else, so perhaps he actually believes his son has what it takes to make it one day. Plus with the Sutter work ethic you know this guy will be pushed hard and of course has great genes.

So now that you're disgusted by Sutter are you going to boo him while the rest of the Saddledome gives him a standing ovation? Hate the Flames until he goes? You might be waiting a long time before that happens. [/b][/quote]
Ya...i will boo him. Whatever. Knowing your son better than anyone else doesn't make up for it. You can't be 100% objective when your son is an employee! They should have waited for him to not get picked and then sign him at least. If he got picked, then congrats to him...since when do Sutters all have to be on the same team?!

I would like to think there is nothing really else to pick at that position, however players going after our 179th neppo pick that might have been worth the flyer:

Kirill Starkov - pure goal scorer; speed; ranked #44 by Kyle Woodlief (redline); backchecks

JP Levasseur - goalie on crap team; redline had ranked higher than Price at #9th overall

The flames watch these players so WTF do I know, but my point is use the pick to take a flyer and sign your son after the draft.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:16 AM   #33
Gord Wappel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The Richie Regher thing was fine.
Imagining an important company in a small town; hiring the brother of a good solid worker seems like a smart thing to do.
But hiring your son - unless beyond question the best choice - leads to everyone questioning the subsequent promotions and raises.
Sutter, working on behalf of shareholders and fans - not some private business interest - must maintain the complete respect and trust of all his workers.
Success so far has depended on strict meritology.
I agree a late pick is not a big thing (although some other kid in the world got left out), but the appearance of selfishness in a leader weakens everyone concerned.
---sermon off ---
Gord Wappel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:17 AM   #34
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Pointman+Jul 31 2005, 06:37 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pointman @ Jul 31 2005, 06:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by JiriHrdina@Jul 30 2005, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dustygoon@Jul 30 2005, 11:03 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-looooob
Quote:
Quote:
@Jul 31 2005, 04:27 AM
have to agree the nepotism stuff is a little fishy. don't think Sutter will overpay his boy though, but we'll see

always love the comments at the bottom of the TSN stories, like the one guy who says its going to be a long year for the Flames because they had a bad draft...yep because every other team is going to have three or four draftees step right in to starring roles this season

Disgusting.

The sense from the article I read was that it wasn't Sutter's choice. The scouting team asked both the player and Darryl if they would be OK with it - this suggests it was not Darryl's idea.
I don't by it at all. It's reasonable now for Darryll Sutter to distance from this decision. I won't believe anyone whoever would say, it was not his decision. EVEN if original idea was not his (and I'm sure it was), he as GM is still responsible for every pick he made. [/b][/quote]
Fair enough, but there's a big difference in my view between these two conversations:

Darryl to his scouting staff: "Hey guys - you know what I think we should do...take my son!"

and

Scouting staff to Darryl: "Hey Darryl - we actually think your boy is a decent prospect. If he's available in the 7th we recommend taking him. Would you be comfortable with that".

I'm much more comfortable with the latter scenario.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:37 AM   #35
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Kidder+Jul 30 2005, 10:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kidder @ Jul 30 2005, 10:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Neeper@Jul 31 2005, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by JiriHrdina@Jul 30 2005, 07:23 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-calf
Quote:
Quote:
@Jul 30 2005, 07:21 PM
Quote:
But he was visibly flabbergasted when informed later of a coincidence of which he swears he was completely unaware: Both father and son were drafted 179th overall, 27 years apart.

''Really? Wow. Are you serious?'' a slack-jawed Flames GM said when informed of the coincidence.
wtf?

WTF indeed. Since when is Sutter "slack jawed". Who the frick wrote that garbage?

What is slack jawed?
Some folk will never lose a toe
And then again some folk 'ill

Like Cleatus the Slack Jawed Yokel!

[/b][/quote]
Some folk will never eat a skunk!
And then again some folk 'ill

Like Cleatus the Slack Jawed Yokel!

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:20 PM   #36
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

The epic 15+ year bump!!

Brett Sutter has now joined the 1,000 professional games played club.

Quote:
“If my body allows it, I’ll play until I have four flat tires and somebody steals the spare,” Brett Sutter declared.
Papa Sutter and clan have to be extremely proud.

Great read from Wes Gilbertson.

https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey...s-at-pro-level
Old 01-27-2022, 04:04 PM   #37
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
The epic 15+ year bump!!

And the player he’s checking in that photo is Calgary-kid (and Ducks’ 2019 first-rounder) Brayden Tracey!
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:19 PM   #38
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
The epic 15+ year bump!!

Great bump, great story. Seeing my posts from 16.5y ago is odd.

The Sutter’s are a hockey treasure which don’t get enough acknowledgment in this country, especially on Hockey Day in Canada.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:33 PM   #39
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks for the time capsule.

To loop back to '05. What a beautiful time that was.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 01:32 PM   #40
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Didn't this guy get shipped out of town after he beat up a cab driver? What a disgrace to his family's name.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote