Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2021, 10:31 AM   #61
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
6'4" over 200lbs - Nice. Shoots Left Let's see how he does up in the big league.
He's going to turn some heads
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2021, 10:39 AM   #62
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Backlund has any value at his current contract, so suggestions of trading him rather than exposing him are confusing.
The path suggested with Seattle claiming him and retaining in a second trade might yield some assets, but I can't see it being more than a 2nd or 3rd... his biggest career strongpoint has been as a defensive forward, but he has been pretty poor defensively since the play ins last year.

Not sure I see the huge risk in exposing him, but as it stands I dont think someone like Phillips has more value than he does. IMO we should sign and expose Ryan and hope that Seattle chooses like vegas did.

Also, we best expose Gio.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:40 AM   #63
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Third-line centres do not routinely produce at a 50-point pace every season. Since 2017 Backlund is the #51 highest scoring centre in the NHL, and that is all with some of the toughest defensive assignments each and every game.

Mikael Backlund is a NHL top-six centre, and he has been for a pretty long time.
Well he is our 3rd line C.

Regardless, does the hopes of this franchise really rest upon a 32yo middle 6 center?
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:30 AM   #64
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you trade Michael Backlund you almost immediately start looking for a Michael Backlund type player to help stop the bleeding.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:11 PM   #65
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFlameDog View Post
If you trade Michael Backlund you almost immediately start looking for a Michael Backlund type player to help stop the bleeding.

Worth bleeding if it lands us Wright/Savoie/Lambert/Bedard
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:29 PM   #66
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I don't think Backlund has any value at his current contract, so suggestions of trading him rather than exposing him are confusing.
The path suggested with Seattle claiming him and retaining in a second trade might yield some assets, but I can't see it being more than a 2nd or 3rd... his biggest career strongpoint has been as a defensive forward, but he has been pretty poor defensively since the play ins last year.

Not sure I see the huge risk in exposing him, but as it stands I dont think someone like Phillips has more value than he does. IMO we should sign and expose Ryan and hope that Seattle chooses like vegas did.

Also, we best expose Gio.
Just like Bennett had no value, amirite?

Exposing Gio is the right choice.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:52 PM   #67
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As others have said I would expose Giordano too. He will be 38 years old next season which could be his last. If he is hurt at next years trade deadline Seattle wouldn’t be able to move him for anything and there goes your selection from Calgary. I think it most likely the Flames lose Kylington. It’s a worthwhile gamble on Seattle’s part as he can get loads of ice time and develop.
Svartsengi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Svartsengi For This Useful Post: