Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2021, 11:00 PM   #41
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
I may be wrong but Ruzicka doesn’t need to be protected in expansion draft? With 15 or so games left maybe a reason why he gets call over Phillips? Size too and sutter as coach but it would be nice to see him play well and not risk losing him too

I don't know about Ruzicka, but I was surprised to find out about Phillips being eligible.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:05 PM   #42
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yup this is Phillips' third pro season, which makes him eligible. And Ruzicka is exempt.

Am I crazy for thinking the Flames could probably expose Backlund and not risk him being picked? I think Seattle probably would have very little interest in taking that contract.

If the Flames expose Backlund and get Lucic to waive, I seriously wonder if they use the seventh slot on Phillips.

Here are their other options (assuming 13, 19, 23, 28, 29, and 88 are protected):

Ryan (UFA), Leivo (UFA), Froese, Robinson (UFA), Kirkland, Rinaldo (UFA), Ritchie (UFA), Gawdin, Simon, Nordstrom (RFA)

I 100% protect Phillips over all those guys. I think Backlund's contract might protect itself... so why bother protecting it?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:11 PM   #43
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they would 100% take Backlund IMO...Seattle will have more trouble with the cap floor than the ceiling
Old 04-12-2021, 11:12 PM   #44
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Yup this is Phillips' third pro season, which makes him eligible. And Ruzicka is exempt.

Am I crazy for thinking the Flames could probably expose Backlund and not risk him being picked? I think Seattle probably would have very little interest in taking that contract.

If the Flames expose Backlund and get Lucic to waive, I seriously wonder if they use the seventh slot on Phillips.

Here are their other options (assuming 13, 19, 23, 28, 29, and 88 are protected):

Ryan (UFA), Leivo (UFA), Froese, Robinson (UFA), Kirkland, Rinaldo (UFA), Ritchie (UFA), Gawdin, Simon, Nordstrom (RFA)

I 100% protect Phillips over all those guys. I think Backlund's contract might protect itself... so why bother protecting it?
You asked it so I'll answer. Yes you are crazy. There is zero chance that Phillips is protected over Backlund.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Chingas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2021, 11:13 PM   #45
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guess I don’t see the big risk in exposing Phillips. Backlund hasn’t been great but I don’t think he’s in negative value territory yet.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2021, 11:18 PM   #46
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Seattle takes Backlund then eats part of his contract and trades him for multiple assets of picks and prospects. Phillips has never played an NHL game no way Seattle could trade him for multiple assets.
Svartsengi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Svartsengi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2021, 11:18 PM   #47
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hopefully we can look forward to a few AHL guys getting a few games in and see if any are ready to make the leap.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:24 PM   #48
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can get out of Backlunds contract you do it. Hes turning 33 next year and has term. Use him to make room for Skinner when Eichel gets here.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:57 PM   #49
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

6'4" over 200lbs - Nice. Shoots Left Let's see how he does up in the big league.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:12 AM   #50
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Backlund might take on some of the Bennett hate now.

When Backlund is the Flames best player, the Flames usually win.

The Flames usually lose when Backlund is playing like crap.

That kinda tells you how important he is.

He has struggled this year and i'll chalk it up to being a new dad coupled with the Covid thing. His teammates haven't really helped him out much. Not sure what Monahan, Gaudreau and Tkachuk's excuse is. Those guys are in their prime and don't really have the home life issues to deal with.

For all the hate he's taking this year, he's still on his usual 50 point pace and he's played most of the year with Lucic who happens to be having his best year in awhile, while Tkachuk is struggling without Backlund.
868904 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to 868904 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2021, 01:34 AM   #51
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Yea there is no chance of that happening.

I’m a proponent of trading Backlund but leaving him exposed would be pure madness. He has value throughout the league and Phillips is a complete unknown at the NHL level.

Even if we traded Backlund for futures I bet the Flames would just use the last slot on Lucic.

I think it would be pretty u likely for NHL teams to protect an AHL prospect over established NHLers unless they are blue chippers and/or they don’t have very good NHLers to protect.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:42 AM   #52
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Looks like Backlund might take on some of the Bennett hate now.

When Backlund is the Flames best player, the Flames usually win.

The Flames usually lose when Backlund is playing like crap.

That kinda tells you how important he is.

He has struggled this year and i'll chalk it up to being a new dad coupled with the Covid thing. His teammates haven't really helped him out much. Not sure what Monahan, Gaudreau and Tkachuk's excuse is. Those guys are in their prime and don't really have the home life issues to deal with.

For all the hate he's taking this year, he's still on his usual 50 point pace and he's played most of the year with Lucic who happens to be having his best year in awhile, while Tkachuk is struggling without Backlund.
I don’t think it’s very fair to give Backlund a pass but call out the other guys.

I realize his life has changed but I don’t think it is an acceptable excuse for a professional athlete.

Backlund is getting older and I don’t think he should be a guy we are unwilling to move on from.

Both Backlund and Gio have been the longest standing Flames and if you want to talk about changing the core here it should start with those two.

They are older and it would be wise to trade them while they hold value because the eye should be on the future.

There are players that are here that can be a part of that future but the astute thing would be to move on from the assets that are the oldest and will only get less effective as age continues to catch up with them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2021, 08:23 AM   #53
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you want to bottom out to get any of the possible franchise/superstar players in the next few drafts, then you expose Backlund or trade him. Which is a good or bad thing depending on how you view the Flames.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:34 AM   #54
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
If you want to bottom out to get any of the possible franchise/superstar players in the next few drafts, then you expose Backlund or trade him. Which is a good or bad thing depending on how you view the Flames.
Well, the Flames are not bottoming out. And there is also no way they are exposing Backlund in the expansion draft. If he is left exposed then they will lose him. Backlund would likely be the best forward available in the entire NHL if this happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:20 AM   #55
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Outside of a 4 game stretch early in the season where he got 12 points in 4 games, he's only had 7 points in the other 18 games.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #56
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Outside of a 4 game stretch early in the season where he got 12 points in 4 games, he's only had 7 points in the other 18 games.
Your point?

NHLers all score in bunches.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2021, 10:05 AM   #57
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Flames'll play him too. Consider it an early audition for a full time spot next season. He's not called up to sit as a healthy scratch or practice with the taxi squad. The team has vets like Robinson and Froese that can do that.
Flames have in the past called up guys to watch a few games, get some NHL practices in and make an NHL salary
Geeoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:13 AM   #58
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
They will not expose him in expansion. Trading Bennett all but ensures that, if there was ever any doubt which to me there wasn’t.

Having said that, talking about Backlund like he is our most important forward is crazy.

Life will go on without Backlund. I love the player but some people talk like he is the key to this teams success.

If that is the case then we are in major trouble.

He is a 32 yo 3rd line C.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2021, 10:19 AM   #59
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
They will not expose him in expansion. Trading Bennett all but ensures that, if there was ever any doubt which to me there wasn’t.

Having said that, talking about Backlund like he is our most important forward is crazy.

Life will go on without Backlund. I love the player but some people talk like he is the key to this teams success.

If that is the case then we are in major trouble.

He is a 32 yo 3rd line C.
Third-line centres do not routinely produce at a 50-point pace every season. Since 2017 Backlund is the #51 highest scoring centre in the NHL, and that is all with some of the toughest defensive assignments each and every game.

Mikael Backlund is a NHL top-six centre, and he has been for a pretty long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2021, 10:26 AM   #60
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

If Backlund were available he would be gone and possibly among the best players to be exposed. His contract is not a hinderance in the slightest to the Flames or any other team for what he brings to the table.

This Ruzicka call up is long overdue. The team better give him an honest shot to earn a significant role down the stretch. Even 10 games with significant minutes could lead to him being a serious contributor next season.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 04-13-2021 at 10:28 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote