Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #1961
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joey fancies himself a real intellectual

He will be quoting archimedes, kant, and hegel in his team talks and post match pressersq
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:06 PM   #1962
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont know....Pochettino seems to be doing okay...
The Liverpool fascination with how good we are at Spurs is a little creepy. I mean yes, we have finished ahead of you in something like 8 of the last 9 years. And it’s true that you weren’t able to get more than a single point from our matches this year. I guess we’ll see how you reinvest the Salah money this summer and maybe things will be a little brighter for you next year!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #1963
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Premier League is the richest league in the world but money cannot buy hate. English football is crying out for an immense, sprawling rivalry between two great teams. There have been some interesting conflicts in recent times but nothing close to the epic nine-year war between Arsenal and Manchester United from 1996 to 2005.

It’s the rift that keeps on giving. Five years after ITV’s memorable Keane & Vieira: Best of Enemies, Channel 5 is to broadcast a documentary on the broader rivalry between the sides, and especially the managers. Fergie v Wenger: The Feud (Monday 10pm) is an exhilarating hour of time travel that includes interviews with more than a dozen players, coaches and journalists – and a series of clips that instantly evoke the nuclear intensity of the time.

The rivalry ached with such importance, from the football field to the school playground, as to make a pacifist throw the first punch. It included everything from allegations of racism by Ian Wright against Peter Schmeichel to a pizza fight. There was also the Battle of Old Trafford, when Arsenal’s players manhandled Ruud van Nistelrooy after the final whistle; Roy Keane literally offering Patrick Vieira outside during a legendary row in the Highbury tunnel; and Jaap Stam being restrained by half of Highbury as he rumbled towards Vieira with extreme prejudice. “It’s funny,” Paul Scholes says. “In team talks against Arsenal, the ball was rarely mentioned.”...

...In many ways, The Feud is a love letter to two men. Wenger 1.0, the imperturbable outsider who showed English football that the future is also a foreign country; and especially Sir Alex Ferguson, the emphatic genius who outlasted Wenger to win multiple titles after Arsenal started to fade. He had a degree in people – “He’s the only person who understood me better than me,” Andy Cole says – and an addiction to competition. “The Gaffer loved a challenge,” says Steve McClaren, who was Ferguson’s assistant from 1999 to 2001. “He had to have somebody to fight. He had to have somebody to complain about. Arsenal. Arsenal. ARSENAL. WENGER!”

Each defined the other for a decade; it was the same with their teams. The signature achievements – United’s Treble and Arsenal’s Invincible season – were only possible because a Dutchman missed a last-minute penalty against them for their greatest rivals: Dennis Bergkamp in 1999 and Van Nistelrooy in 2003. It’s an apt reflection of a rivalry in which every achievement was heightened by the quality and hatred of the opponent. Without each other they would have won so much more – but the triumphs would not have been nearly as sweet.
https://www.theguardian.com/football...P=share_btn_tw

Last edited by Bagor; 04-19-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 09:02 PM   #1964
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Read, Barton’s book. We know when his head is on straight (lol rarely), he’s a smart cm - I ask you to contest that. If he stays out (IF!), of the heat of the battle I think he may be a successful in a lower league.

I’m not counting him out. Smart but so damn self destructive.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:15 AM   #1965
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arsene is finally leaving Arsenal.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:20 AM   #1966
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tried to get a ticket for the Burnley game. All sold out.

I did however manage to get a ticket for West Ham just before the website crashed.

I just want Wenger to go out on a high and get the send off he deserved a few years ago.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 06:26 AM   #1967
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Arsène Wenger has issued the following statement:

“After careful consideration and following discussions with the club, I feel it is the right time for me to step down at the end of the season.

“I am grateful for having had the privilege to serve the club for so many memorable years.

“I managed the club with full commitment and integrity.

“I want to thank the staff, the players, the Directors and the fans who make this club so special.

“I urge our fans to stand behind the team to finish on a high.

“To all the Arsenal lovers take care of the values of the club.

"My love and support for ever.”

Arsene Wenger
https://www.arsenal.com/news/merci-arsene

Good luck to him.
For me, regardless of his recent record he will go down as the second greatest PL manager. As posted above that rivalry and hate back in the day hasn't been matched since. Who knows what he would have won if Fergie hadn't been around?

Would like to see him go out on a high and I hope he gets the respect he deserves at OT.

Last edited by Bagor; 04-20-2018 at 06:29 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 06:32 AM   #1968
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's really too bad. Things have been quite enjoyable for the last couple of years and I feel like he was really onto something!
Old 04-20-2018, 06:40 AM   #1969
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:
Question

And even in those enjoyable last couple of years he still managed to win more than Poch......

Old 04-20-2018, 07:29 AM   #1970
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
And even in those enjoyable last couple of years he still managed to win more than Poch......
Good thing those trophies papered over the cracks. Let's face it, the last few years were enjoyable only for opposition fans. The team has been in complete disarray and the only thing that could make this season palatable is winning the Europa. There aren't really any brights spots if that doesn't work out?

And you might as well get the "Spurs haven't won anything" shots in while you still can. Eventually we'll win and I look forward to your congratulatory post.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:54 AM   #1971
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes....yes....eventually you'll win a trophy. Most teams do.

The league? Never.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:13 AM   #1972
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

I mean it's about time and all, but I'm still a little sad actually. The guy has been Arsenal manager for about 90% of my football fan life. Have a ton of respect for him. One of the greats and it's a shame some people will only judge him and focus on the last few years.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #1973
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A couple pages back there was talk about whether or not Arsene was a great manager. Despite the fact today's new excites me and I've been hoping for it to happen for numerous seasons, I have to say that I do consider him to be a great manager. Although he did not adapt his tactics and approach, it wasn't due to an inability to adapt to the modern game but rather a refusal to adapt to approaches that he thought would compromise his beliefs and philosophy. Ironically, that stubbornness is probably something that aided in his triumphs and successes.

As expected, today is such a bittersweet moment. It's like welcoming the birth of a child on the same day as the death a parent. Excitement for what should be a promising and greatly anticipated future but sorrow for what is still a loss. However, I'm going to take a page out Wenger's book and appreciate the beauty of it all. I'll be singing his song on Sunday and in Lyon. The lads just need to make sure they do right by him and book his passage for the final. Especially as the holder of both season tickets I'm taking care of will now be back in the country for Burnely. #MerciArsene
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Addick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #1974
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
West Ham are poised to offer David Moyes a new deal and, if he accepts, are prepared to abandon plans for a director of football.

The club have been impressed with the way Moyes and his coaching team have stabilised things since arriving in November on a contract until the end of the season.

Nothing will be decided until West Ham, who are 14th in the Premier League and seven points above the bottom three, are sure of survival but should that be achieved, it is expected Moyes will be offered a permanent deal.

One of Moyes’s stipulations is expected to be that he has more control over transfers as he would be reluctant to work under a director of football, an appointment the club were considering making this summer following criticism by supporters of their player recruitment in recent seasons.

It is understood Moyes, who built up a highly successful recruitment process when he was Everton manager, has been dismayed by the lack of structure in West Ham’s scouting network and has already overseen the appointment of five scouts.

Co-chairman David Sullivan, who has always been heavily involved in player signings, both at his previous club Birmingham and at West Ham, has promised to take a step back following a difficult season. That is also because of criticism from fans that promises made on player recruitment and going to the “next level” when moving to the London Stadium have not been realized.
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...-a3818226.html

In fairness to Moyes good move on his part to ensure getting rid of the director of football idea. Apart from that nothing to get excited about.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #1975
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

so who is the favorite to succeed him? Vierra?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #1976
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who knows? Early days.
Rumours are that Vierra was Wengers suggestion.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #1977
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thierry Henry
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:42 PM   #1978
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Henry isnt anywhere near ready for that job, hes 2nd assistant for a national team, still hasnt seem to go all in either as a manager or pundit going forward

Vieirra was his suggestion supposedly, he has been involved in some type of coaching capacity since 2011 i believe

Like bagor says though its early days, they are in a rush but not a huge one, ideally you want someone in by early June at the latest, but the transfer and scouting group is in place, so if needed they could start on summer business

Its a great job for anyone who gets it, there wont be huge pressure right away, if they miss out on top 4 next year it wont be end of the world like at some clubs, just need to show progress. Whomever it is will be given time and backing to build the team, with everything included like location, facilities, financial clout etc. Its probably a top 10 job in europe

The betting shops have the favorites at

Rodgers
Tuchel
Loew
Enrique
Viera
Ancelloti
Allegri
Jardim
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #1979
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tuchel is going to Paris. Löw is not quitting Germany. Allegri would be foolish to quit Juventus.

Personally I'd hire one of Rudi Garcia, Bruno Genesio or Eddie Howe.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #1980
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tuchel isnt finalised yet i thought, some people saying psg may push for wenger now