Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2021, 12:17 PM   #761
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dodgers on the brink makes me happy - I am getting tired of teams buying championships.

Red Sox losing also makes me happy, although it's a bit a of a barf that its the Astros beating them. Aside from the Cardinals, they were easily the worst team in the playoffs and have rode luck all year. The worst part about that is they stand up on their high horse and talk about how great they are for such a good rebuild/retool - regression coming next year for sure.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:39 PM   #762
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Dodgers on the brink makes me happy - I am getting tired of teams buying championships.

Red Sox losing also makes me happy, although it's a bit a of a barf that its the Astros beating them. Aside from the Cardinals, they were easily the worst team in the playoffs and have rode luck all year. The worst part about that is they stand up on their high horse and talk about how great they are for such a good rebuild/retool - regression coming next year for sure.
I don't think the Dodgers bought anything.

They used prospects and roster players from their deep system to trade for Betts, Trea Turner and Scherzer. Max Muncy was released by the Athletics and signed to a entry level contract. Justin Turner was released by the Mets and signed to a 1 million dollar contract by the Dodgers. Chris Taylor was acquired through trade with the Mariners for someone named Zach Lee and was on a league min. contract at the time. Graterol was acquired through a trade.

Kershaw, Beuhler, Will Smith, Gavin Lux, Corey Seager, Cody Bellinger, Dustin May, Max Beaty were all drafted by the Dodgers. Urias was acquired through international scouting, same with Kenley Jansen.

Yeah they have the financial clout to hold onto guys like Betts and possibly re-sign Scherzer but the Dodgers are, in my opinion, one of the best run baseball teams in all of the MLB. They basically do everything right. And this generation of the Dodgers team also only have one championship to show for it.

Also it's not like these other three teams like the Braves, Astros and Red Sox are some little engine that could small market teams emulating the Tampa Bay Rays. The Braves are owned by Liberty Media which has total assets worth 44 billion dollars. All of these teams in the CS's are premium franchises above league average in team payroll.

Last edited by flames_fan_down_under; 10-21-2021 at 12:41 PM.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 01:05 PM   #763
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find when I'm watching that I am leaning Dodgers and I don't know why. I think it's because the Braves pisse off with their bull crap
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #764
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quite honest, I find that to be a pretty tired argument.

Yes, they acquired some players through trades because their farm system was good, but the fact that they have money is the primary reason they've built the team they have.

The Mookie Betts deal was 100% money fueled - the Dodgers were able to get it done because (a) they knew they could give Betts enough money to re-sign, making it basically a FA signing; and (b) they ate the terrible David Price contract as part of the trade. It was the Dodgers dollars that got that deal done.

Three teams had a luxury tax in 2021, for a total of $18.5M. The Dodgers luxury tax on their own? $17.0M. Yup, seems like money isn't really a factor here...

The Dodgers have burried $24M in the minors, $8M more than the second place team. It's easy to build a solid roster when you can afford to make huge mistakes with contracts and then just burry them if they don't work out. Other teams don't have the luxury.

Hell, the Dodgers could even afford to have a $30M pitcher sitting out (and maybe never play again) and their starting rotation is fine. That doesn't happen if you don't have the $ to get depth starting pitching.

When your payroll is double the major league average and $64M more than the second place payroll, you are absolutely trying to buy a championship.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:22 PM   #765
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Freeman with the blast. Wow the Braves are smoking hot right now.

I really don't care that much who wins this series, although as Roof-Daddy mentioned above, I too find myself oddly rooting for the Dodgers *shrugs*. I just hope that whoever wins takes the winner of the ALCS behind the woodshed and does unspeakable things.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 08:12 PM   #766
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taylor is a one man wrecking crew tonight.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:01 PM   #767
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taylor having quite the post season.

They were chriping him hard when he walked off the wildcard game.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:10 PM   #768
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

this Garcia kid, with his 'rock the baby' move, is giving me huge Fernando Valenzuela flashbacks
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:51 PM   #769
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's probably the series on that strike em out, throw em out DP. Not sure I like that from Cora, Sox bats have been dead all night and you finally get two on and run yourself out of the inning.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:11 PM   #770
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Crazy that the Red Sox suddenly can barely hit in the last 20+ innings against the same pitchers.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:27 PM   #771
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well thanks Astros, the true enemy is gone now so we can all refocus our hate on you. But much obliged!
Old 10-22-2021, 09:55 PM   #772
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good riddance to that red sox garbage
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:00 PM   #773
Reggie28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Who has home field in the World Series? Dodgers or Astros, even though the dodgers are a wild card team?
Reggie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:05 PM   #774
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie28 View Post
Who has home field in the World Series? Dodgers or Astros, even though the dodgers are a wild card team?
Dodgers would.

If The Braves win, the Astros would.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 10:07 PM   #775
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
Dodgers will.

If The Braves win, the Astros would.
Fixed your post.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:44 PM   #776
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Quite honest, I find that to be a pretty tired argument.

Yes, they acquired some players through trades because their farm system was good, but the fact that they have money is the primary reason they've built the team they have.

The Mookie Betts deal was 100% money fueled - the Dodgers were able to get it done because (a) they knew they could give Betts enough money to re-sign, making it basically a FA signing; and (b) they ate the terrible David Price contract as part of the trade. It was the Dodgers dollars that got that deal done.

Three teams had a luxury tax in 2021, for a total of $18.5M. The Dodgers luxury tax on their own? $17.0M. Yup, seems like money isn't really a factor here...

The Dodgers have burried $24M in the minors, $8M more than the second place team. It's easy to build a solid roster when you can afford to make huge mistakes with contracts and then just burry them if they don't work out. Other teams don't have the luxury.

Hell, the Dodgers could even afford to have a $30M pitcher sitting out (and maybe never play again) and their starting rotation is fine. That doesn't happen if you don't have the $ to get depth starting pitching.

When your payroll is double the major league average and $64M more than the second place payroll, you are absolutely trying to buy a championship.
Yeah, like jesus. Great post, right on point. To dismiss that they have done this with money is absurd. Yes good drafting, yes good trading (due to ability to retain, see: money), but basically....lots and lots of money.

An LA dodgers championship is absolutely a bought championship, and that's not their fault it's the league. It's ridiculous the disparity in spending and ability to compete in MLB.

Totally ruins such a great sport in it's purest form.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 11:48 PM   #777
jayswin

Exp:

They need to move past luxury tax like that matters at all and implement a proper salary cap. Even if it's not as rigid as the NHL, it has to be something. Even if it's a number that lots of teams can't hit, still make it ****ing something. Even just $180 mil or whatever, just start somewhere.

Right now the LA Dodgers are $261mil, the Yankees and mets around $200mil, the league average is $130mil and there are 12 teams under $100mil, with the bottom four under $60. That is absolutely bonkers.

Last edited by jayswin; 10-22-2021 at 11:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 11:51 PM   #778
jayswin

Exp:

Yeah, don't talk about salary with the Dodgers and their $65mil OVER the second place in spending Yankees and Mets who themselves tower over 60% of the league in spending. It's not that, it's great drafting and trading. Like **** me.

Last edited by jayswin; 10-22-2021 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:37 AM   #779
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Baseball will never have a salary cap, it needs the big boys to be always in it to even be slightly viable as a national TV product. Competitive balance is something the fans want, not the owners. A more competitively balance league would very likely do worse financially. Sucks, but it is what it is and it won't change anytime soon.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:41 PM   #780
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Wow. A 2 out walk to the 8th hitter turns into a 3 run bomb

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote