Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-15-2021, 09:41 AM   #701
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Baseball any team can beat any team, just hot pitching.

During the one wildcard team era, 1995 to 2011 (17 seasons) a wildcard team won the world series 5 times, Marlins twice, Angels, Red Sox and Cardinals. They each had to win a 5 game series and two seven game series. This is one reason MLB decided to have a wildcard play in game, to handicap the wildcard team. But here we are, both wildcard teams have advanced to the league championship this year.

More teams usually means more randomness.

Have you ever seen the Japanese playoff system. It's a playoff but it almost ensures (80% of the time) the top two teams will meet in the Final. The two league winners get home advantage in the LCS, the entire series is in their home park and they get a one game advantage, the series starts with Game 2.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:47 AM   #702
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay let’s use the Japanese playoffs as a comparable.

It’s a 12 team league, and 6 teams make the playoffs. Top team in each league, plus two other teams.

So 50% of the teams make the playoffs…in the MLB if 50% of the teams make the playoffs you’d have a 15 team playoff system.

If MLB went to a 16 team playoff, but gave the higher seeded team an automatic 1-0 series lead in the first round (which they do in Japan) that would be awesome.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:02 AM   #703
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

It’s a 12 team league, and 6 teams make the playoffs. Top team in each league, plus two other teams.

So 50% of the teams make the playoffs…in the MLB if 50% of the teams make the playoffs you’d have a 15 team playoff system.

If MLB went to a 16 team playoff, but gave the higher seeded team an automatic 1-0 series lead in the first round (which they do in Japan) that would be awesome.

That would be fun. But remember, North American sports wants parity and randomness, and then complain about ratings.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 10:14 AM   #704
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No it wouldn't. Using a tournament to decide a champion works great for hockey and basketball. In baseball where your starting pitcher only plays once every four games, it's not so good.

I want that long season to decide as much as possible when it comes to baseball. Give me 4 playoff teams in each league, make every series a best of 7.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:18 AM   #705
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I think the most "baseball is dying" take from last night is that a pitchers duel took 3.5 hours to play out. Like how does that happen? If you can't even get pitchers duels to happen in less than 3.5 hours you are definitely screwed in the long term as far as gaining interest.
Yep. I love baseball and I find these games tense and riveting. But no one has the time for this. They 100% have to fix it. Going to a live game is a 5 hour commitment, easy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 10:20 AM   #706
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why only 5 game series in that first round? Why only 8 teams to start with? .
10 teams make the playoffs, not 8.

Mentioned this before, but making the playoffs in baseball used to mean something special. Adding teams to the format makes it less special and doesn't really get you anything other that a bit higher TV ratings.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:39 AM   #707
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
Bad calls happen, but WTF is the point of video review if not to make that a reviewable play?

It’s so frustrating watching a great game and have it ruined by that.

Dodgers 99% likely win anyways but that’s embarrassing as a neutral fan to witness
Exactly, over a 162 game schedule if this happens during the regular season it's not a big deal. The problem here is that it's in possibly the biggest game of the playoffs with two of the best teams where you don't want mistakes from umps to be the deciding factor.
Skaloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:09 AM   #708
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also doesn't help that in your biggest game of the season you send one of your worst crews to ump the game. Almost as if they wanted controversy to drive some actual talk about the game instead of TNF getting the majority of the talk.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1448818672198324258

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 10-15-2021 at 11:13 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:13 AM   #709
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

Mentioned this befolre, but making the playoffs in baseball used to mean something special. Adding teams to the format makes it less special and doesn't really get you anything other that a bit higher TV ratings.
Yes, it generally meant you put up more money. FUN

Non Salary Cap League
Half the season is ####ing divisional games

It's a terrible product, sorry

not sorry
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:18 AM   #710
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
No it wouldn't. Using a tournament to decide a champion works great for hockey and basketball. In baseball where your starting pitcher only plays once every four games, it's not so good.

I want that long season to decide as much as possible when it comes to baseball. Give me 4 playoff teams in each league, make every series a best of 7.
I'd be in favour of a smaller playoff...but then you need to have more balanced schedules.

Problem with how it's set up now is you have these weird division imbalances, and the imbalanced schedule means that the regular season records are misleading.

Are the records of AL East teams really comparable to the records of AL Central teams? Not really due to the large imbalance in the schedule of who you are playing.

Sports where the regular season decides the champion make sense because they play a perfectly balanced schedule. If the schedule is imbalanced though then to me relying on the regular season is flawed. (I actually think European Soccer has it right - have a perfectly balanced regular season schedule to decide one title, then have a separate "Playoff/Cup" tournament to determine a different champion).

You want to have an 8 team playoff - 4 in each league. Then move to a balanced schedule.

14 teams in your own league - 8 games against each team - 112 games
15 teams in the other league - 3 games against each team - 45 games.

At least everyone in each league is playing the same strength of schedule in that equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

Mentioned this before, but making the playoffs in baseball used to mean something special. Adding teams to the format makes it less special and doesn't really get you anything other that a bit higher TV ratings.
I don't really like the Wild Card and don't count that as real playoffs. 1 game is random and decides nothing.

Either have a real playoff with 16 teams and 7 game series in each round (give the higher seed a 1-0 lead in round 1 if you want to reward the regular season).

Or move to a more balanced schedule with only the top 4 teams in each league advancing (should still be 7 game series in each round).

Right now it's bit of a random mish mash of play in games, short 5 game series, and an imbalanced regular season schedule deciding the outcomes.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-15-2021 at 11:48 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 01:18 PM   #711
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with SuperMatt that a more balanced schedule is a must, especially if you're going to keep the WC.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:32 PM   #712
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

As soon as you come to terms with the fact that the MLB (as well as the NHL for that matter) doesn't really care about the "best team" winning, it's easy to accept things for the way they are.

No salary cap in MLB is by far the most egregious stance, where it's impossible for about half of the league to even dream of a championship.

The opposite is true in NHL, where an extreme premium is put on parity that anyone can get hot and win (plus the officiating in the playoffs makes the game very different).
Old 10-15-2021, 02:03 PM   #713
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's so hard to come with a scenario that seems completely fair without a balanced schedule. Only thing you could do is make it one massive division and then all the teams play each other the same amount of games. Unless you do that you're always going to have situations where some team appears to get the shaft in one way or another.

I think the Jays are the team that got shafted the hardest this season. To put up that kind of record against that kind of competition and not even get a single playoff game was a travesty.

Next would be LA with 106 wins having to play a winner take all single elimination game against a team that was red hot down the stretch.

Then I'd say the Giants are third, with the most wins in the entire league at 107 having to play a best of three against the team with the second most wins in the entire league.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:16 PM   #714
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The camera work in this game is a little odd
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 07:13 PM   #715
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Kike Hernandez with the incredible catch in CF to rob Brantley of a bases loaded hit to finish the inning. Top of the third he hits a game tying solo homer.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:16 PM   #716
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
As soon as you come to terms with the fact that the MLB (as well as the NHL for that matter) doesn't really care about the "best team" winning, it's easy to accept things for the way they are.

No salary cap in MLB is by far the most egregious stance, where it's impossible for about half of the league to even dream of a championship.

The opposite is true in NHL, where an extreme premium is put on parity that anyone can get hot and win (plus the officiating in the playoffs makes the game very different).
MLB has had more diversity in champions them any sport in the past 20 years

But hey , don’t let stats get in the way of emotional statements

Salary caps haven’t proven to actually impact the ability to win a championship.
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:30 PM   #717
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, huge homer by Correa.

The Jays should back a dump truck full of money up to him this off season.

27 year old star short stop? Yes please, Bo or no Bo.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:51 PM   #718
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
MLB has had more diversity in champions them any sport in the past 20 years

But hey , don’t let stats get in the way of emotional statements

Salary caps haven’t proven to actually impact the ability to win a championship.
I used to be 100% on the salary cap train for all sports but I’ve started to change my mind. Sports need some big villains IMO.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:23 AM   #719
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Man, huge homer by Correa.

The Jays should back a dump truck full of money up to him this off season.

27 year old star short stop? Yes please, Bo or no Bo.

Play-wise, sure. Person-wise, hell no. The guy is a conceited dbag, rumored to be at the centre of the trash can controversy. I can do without him just on the way he's handled it. Others have issued a no-comment, he's be an ass about the whole thing.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:02 AM   #720
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I used to be 100% on the salary cap train for all sports but I’ve started to change my mind. Sports need some big villains IMO.
It's not fair to fans that buy tickets for the other teams.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote