Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2021, 08:48 PM   #701
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love that two of the best characters that Star Trek ever produced are supporting cast on Deep Space Nine. Garek and Quark and the actors who played them are impeccable. It's the depth of the storytelling over episodes and seasons that separate the old and new Trek. Even in TOS, the relationships between the characters grew so wholesomely even though every episode was stand-alone.

All of the great and lasting Sci-fi stories had this in common. Supporting cast in Babylon 5, G'Kar and Londo. Supporting cast in Battlestar, Cheif Tyrol and Boomer (or Dean Stockwell and Lucy Lawless?). Supporting cast in Firefly, every single member of the crew. Supporting cast in Farscape, D'argo and Chianna (Scorpius!).

It's akin to sports, where the leads have to be overwhelmingly good because the supporting cast is in danger of stealing the light.

This might be my biggest problem with the new Treks. Even if I take all of the writing and showrunning with a grain of salt, I really not enamored with the cast. And without any outstanding performances behind them, the leads are wallowing. This even includes the Abrams movies. The only good secondary performance is Bones, and that's just because Karl Urban is a monster actor.

End of rant.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:34 PM   #702
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
not whatever Guinan had behind her counter.

Aldebaran Whisky

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:31 PM   #703
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

As a person who does not have the enzymes to digest alcohol in real life, I have wanted synthehol my entire life...but I'll settle for whatever Raktajino tastes like.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:29 AM   #704
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would have been nice to be able to get the Kanar for Christmas because I will be serving sand peas with yamok sauce. Got 5,000 cases of the damn stuff.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 09:45 AM   #705
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Would have been nice to be able to get the Kanar for Christmas because I will be serving sand peas with yamok sauce. Got 5,000 cases of the damn stuff.

I'll trade you for 100 gross of self-sealing stembolts I got from a Lessepian freighter captain.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 10:14 AM   #706
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I looked it up online, I was hoping there would be a way to order it and ship it up from the States, but there isn't really a way to do it.

Its not cheap. each bottle is anywhere from 50 to 80 us.

I would really want it for the bottles more then anything else.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2021, 07:23 AM   #707
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I looked it up online, I was hoping there would be a way to order it and ship it up from the States, but there isn't really a way to do it.

Couldn't you just sign up for one of those free US addresses that then ships it to you? Or do they not deal with alcohol?
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #708
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

New game getting released next year
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:38 AM   #709
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

ummmm.

I mean graphically it looks 90's. I thought it was a mobile platform game for a minute there.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:01 AM   #710
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

That doesn't look good at all.

It would be great if a AAA game company received the license to do something great with it. We haven't had a really good Star Trek game in a long time.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #711
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
That doesn't look good at all.

It would be great if a AAA game company received the license to do something great with it. We haven't had a really good Star Trek game in a long time.

I can't recall the last star trek game outside of Star Trek Online, which still seems to be pretty active. Though I think the last expansion was 3 years ago, so it feels like an in maintenance game.

but when I looked at this video it graphically looks like early mass effect.

Actually the last game I can see was Bridge Crew, which was a pretty cool concept, I don't know if its still relevant though.

In terms of games for me 25th anniversary Star fleet academy and Klingon Academy are real stand outs for me. But other then that, I can't think of the last great fun to play star trek game.

I actually like Birth of the Federation, except it was deeply flawed in concept and in terms of technology.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:14 AM   #712
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

It's funny that the best Trek video game of all time Elite Force (at least IMO) came from the most hated on Trek series, prior to Discovery that is

The one level in Elite Force where you're on a hacked together space station built from TOS-era Federation, Klingon, and other ships is one of my all time favorite gaming moments
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2021, 10:48 AM   #713
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its one of those "Telltale" studio developments so kinda fast and low budget Indie game types. Yea could totally be a mobile game.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 11:03 AM   #714
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I can't recall the last star trek game outside of Star Trek Online, which still seems to be pretty active. Though I think the last expansion was 3 years ago, so it feels like an in maintenance game.

but when I looked at this video it graphically looks like early mass effect.

Actually the last game I can see was Bridge Crew, which was a pretty cool concept, I don't know if its still relevant though.

In terms of games for me 25th anniversary Star fleet academy and Klingon Academy are real stand outs for me. But other then that, I can't think of the last great fun to play star trek game.

I actually like Birth of the Federation, except it was deeply flawed in concept and in terms of technology.
I tried the Bridge Crew VR and it was a lot of fun. I forgot about that. I never had a chance to play the multi-player with a person at each station. That could have been fun.

Birth of the Federation is my favourite Trek game. We had a few drunken LAN "parties" with that game. 25th anniversary was my first Trek game and it was fun but I remember it being very hard.

I've played a bit of Star Trek Online because it's free but I could see it being a big time suck if you wanted to go far in it. They seem to have regular event storylines but I just don't have the time to invest in one game like that.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 11:53 AM   #715
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The best modern Star Trek videogame is the Stage 9 Enterprise D first person walkthrough. I always hated how Paramount killed that fan project.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:21 PM   #716
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Resurgence could be interesting if the story and characters are good. The visuals are definitely lower budget but within the realm of 'good enough' if the rest of the game is good.

That Telltale style adventure game really lends itself well to the world of Star Trek which is more about story and decisions instead of some of the dumb shooters and action games they've tried to make. It's also nice to see them making something for consoles instead of another throwaway F2P phone game.

I hope it turns out well!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:32 PM   #717
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want a trek game, armada 3 mod for sins of a solar empire is still the gold standard imo.. I couldn't get into sto.
All in this should cost ~$20 on steam.

I desperately want some kanar even though I know it's probably a cheap liquor in the bottle. Lol.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:34 PM   #718
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Play as the borg at least once. It's pretty sick to rip through people with a cube fleet.

Dominion is hardest to win with but satisfying.

It's rts and all space battles. Highly recommend.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 01:57 PM   #719
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Thursday nights episode of Discovery just really exemplified why this show can be aggravating to watch and at the same time unintentional comedy.

Spoiler!

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2021, 02:45 PM   #720
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was really hoping this show would eventually find its footing. But the current season is just as bad as the previous ones, if not worse. Aside from Saru and Book, the majority of the characters are awful and these episodes have become a real slog to get through.

When does Picard start up again? I quite liked the first season despite a few flaws, and the new characters grew on me after a few episodes. Not to mention it's just a much more enjoyable viewing experience than Discovery IMO.

Hopefully Strange New Worlds will give us some decent Trek as well. I'm really looking forward to that one, mostly due to Anson Mount.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post: