Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2021, 11:22 AM   #21
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Germans eat raw minced pork. I'm not sure how they don't get sick with that?

https://germanculture.com.ua/main-dishes/mettbrotchen/

Germs and bacteria are probably killed by the latent alcohol in the stomach from Oktoberfest.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2021, 08:53 PM   #22
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Under-cooked pork has been taboo since there was a risk of trichinosis (parasitic worms). In most cases now, it is unheard due to modern farming techniques in western countries, although there is a lightning strike level risk with pork raised in the southern US and a bit higher in tropical climates since the worms can only survive in warm climates.

As an a aside, has anyone noticed that lean Safeway brand hamburger meat has gotten less lean? The lean hamburger meat I purchased recently looked obvious that it was a mix of lean and regular so now it's beyond the fat content than any others stores regular hamburger meat.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:37 PM   #23
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My mother in law eats bacon raw
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:23 PM   #24
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any recommendations on where to buy lobster tails? I have been to North Sea Fish Market in the past. It was really expensive.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:45 PM   #25
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll piggyback on the shellfish theme, what about king crab?

Usually grab it from Costco, but would like to support a local shop. I've heard Boyd's come up, are they people's go-to?
Old 01-05-2022, 12:58 PM   #26
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Any recommendations on where to buy lobster tails? I have been to North Sea Fish Market in the past. It was really expensive.
Masters Meats has Caribbean lobster tails. I can't stand the things, but my wife likes them. Not sure the price, but you could give them a call.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2022, 03:03 AM   #27
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
You pretty much have to pretty much buy thick sliced. The Harvest 1kg is the best out there however it is very expensive. A great alternative is the Mitchells 1kg thick sliced which you can often buy on sale for $9.99 at Walmart or Superstore. In fact Wal Mart has it on sale again starting tomorrow, in my region anyways. Will stock up.

As for the mold, just too long in the fridge, I mean realistically it will only stay fresh for so long. Anything left in the fridge for too long will develop mold, even lemons and limes which are natural preservative do to humidity. You can cryovac for longer fridge life, however freezing it will not hurt either. The benefit of dry curing is that there is little moisture loss when thawing, not like the store bought "pumped" bacon which loses so much moisture when thawed and effects the taste.
If ya wanna spoil yourself;

https://shopvalbella.ca/collections/...s/pepper-bacon
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 06:47 PM   #28
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have any good recipes for making pepperoni sticks? I am displeased with the current selection out there.
Old 08-22-2023, 07:57 PM   #29
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do I know about meat?

I know that a good brisket is hard to find, but glorious when you do.

I know that a pork shoulder is just as fantastic as a pork tenderloin if you know how to make it crispy and render the fat.

I know that beef wellington is the ultimate crowd pleasing holiday dish.

I know that the best meat ever is a close tie between good pastrami and Montreal smoked meat.

I know that as much as I try to eat healthier by consuming less meat (both for myself and the planet), I just get that urge for a good burger.

It's like an addiction at this point. Insert *I wish I knew how to quit you* gif here.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2023, 08:19 PM   #30
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

How much does eating meat affect nations’ greenhouse gas emissions?

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...te-agriculture

Quote:
The food we eat is responsible for an astounding one-third of global greenhouse gas emissions caused by human activities, according to two comprehensive studies published in 2021.

Producing the average U.S. resident’s diet generates more than 2,000 kilograms of greenhouse gas emissions per year, the researchers reported in 2020 in Global Environmental Change. The group measured emissions in terms of “CO2 equivalents,” a standardized unit allowing for direct comparisons between CO2 and other greenhouse gases like methane.

Going meatless one day a week brings down that figure to about 1,600 kilograms of CO2 equivalents per year, per person. Going vegan — a diet without any meat, dairy or other animal products — cuts it by 87 percent to under 300. Going even two-thirds vegan offers a sizable drop to 740 kilograms of CO2 equivalents.
I had a delicious bison steak on Sunday.

Last edited by troutman; 08-22-2023 at 08:26 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2023, 08:48 PM   #31
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverfresH15 View Post
My mother in law eats bacon raw
We used to eat raw bacon all the time when I was a kid. I didn't think it was weird until I left the nest and people were like WTF. Isn't it pretty much like eating pancetta?

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 08-23-2023 at 12:20 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 09:26 PM   #32
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

something something penis.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 09:58 PM   #33
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Anyone have any good recipes for making pepperoni sticks? I am displeased with the current selection out there.
I used to make them using a kit I got from Barbecues Galore. Princess Auto has them as well.

Have you tried these guys?

https://greatcanadianmeat.com/
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2023, 10:52 PM   #34
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Well it would explain a lot.
I know this is a bit of a necro thread, but there was definitely raw minced sausage on the plate I had at Octoberfest. Also the raw minced pork spread, which I initially assumed was pate.. It was not.

I may go back this year... I'll stick to the grilled food outside the tents.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 11:19 PM   #35
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I used to make them using a kit I got from Barbecues Galore. Princess Auto has them as well.

Have you tried these guys?

https://greatcanadianmeat.com/

Thanks, I hadn’t seen those. Curious about the kits, could you easily customize how dry they were? My problem with commercially available pepperoni sticks is how wet they seem. I even tried cutting some sticks in half and running them in the dehydrator for a day to see if that would help, but no luck.
Old 08-22-2023, 11:27 PM   #36
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Yeah I like them dry too so you can use a dehydrator.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 07:52 AM   #37
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Master Meats has some pretty dry ones at the counter. Not super cheap, but damn good. They often end up as my impulse butcher buy. Th spicy ones have some good kick, but not deadly.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 12:20 PM   #38
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Thanks, I hadn’t seen those. Curious about the kits, could you easily customize how dry they were? My problem with commercially available pepperoni sticks is how wet they seem. I even tried cutting some sticks in half and running them in the dehydrator for a day to see if that would help, but no luck.
Isn't one of the tricks to dehydrate the meat prior to making the sausage? Like, the "dry age in fridge for a few days to make it taste better" trick actually is a form of dehydrating?

Would mincing the meat and let it dehydrate or dry in your fridge a day or two before stuffing accomplish what you're trying to do?

I seem to recall reading stuff about this when reading up about how to make Mennonite sausage (which specifically insists on using cold meat in some recipes) and I thought how strangely it sounded like aging your steak in your fridge for a few days. I started realizing that some of the tricks for "multi-day" prep had more importance than some people realized. People seemed to understand that there was improvement, but many rarely seemed to explain why and often they'd write it off as something along the lines of, "Doing it the long way definitely tasted better, but this way was good enough."
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 03:46 PM   #39
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Isn't one of the tricks to dehydrate the meat prior to making the sausage? Like, the "dry age in fridge for a few days to make it taste better" trick actually is a form of dehydrating?

Would mincing the meat and let it dehydrate or dry in your fridge a day or two before stuffing accomplish what you're trying to do?

I seem to recall reading stuff about this when reading up about how to make Mennonite sausage (which specifically insists on using cold meat in some recipes) and I thought how strangely it sounded like aging your steak in your fridge for a few days. I started realizing that some of the tricks for "multi-day" prep had more importance than some people realized. People seemed to understand that there was improvement, but many rarely seemed to explain why and often they'd write it off as something along the lines of, "Doing it the long way definitely tasted better, but this way was good enough."
If you mince and leave it out, you're substantially increasing the risk of spoiling.

You should be able to dry the meat out after it's been sausaged just by hanging it. It'll dry through the casing.

Most commercial peperoni probably isn't dry, because:
a. it takes time/effort to dry
b. dried meat weighs less and peperoni is sold by weight. They want to sell you water.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 03:55 PM   #40
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should I get a dehydrator? I’ve thought about it but don’t know how much I’d use it and I don’t really want another appliance. My neighbour dried some of my apples into apple chips.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meats , the cure